Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you call 10.11?

• El Capitan

• El Cap

Results are only viewable after voting.

travod

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2013
I've only heard of the name El Capitan because of the movie theater in LA. I've never been there but I follow box office and know it from that.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
No offence … when I first saw a headline with the phrase El Capitan in search results, I thought that someone (maybe at The Onion) was mucking about.

OK, so I took a closer look at passed-out Mister Party above in the earlier post. Dressed as a superhero, was he, with that cape? Or Neptune, with a garden fork as his trident?

Eventually, the penny dropped. Get a load of what's left of that footwear, folks.

El Capitan. Your friendly neighbourhood wrestler who enjoys a tipple.

Nice one, Apple. Knockout.

Last edited:

sevoneone

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2010
As someone who attended an El Capitan High School, hundreds of miles away from Yosemite in Southern California, I about snorted coffee right out my nose when I saw the headlines. I don't think the name is ever going to resonate with me as connected to a version of OS X. The association just isn't going to happen, so long live OS X "ten-eleven." Though I'm considering "Revenge of the Snow Kitty" as a close second.

Reactions: kmj2318

rssfed23

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
Southampton, UK
The name reveals a decided lack of creative leadership at the top.

The keynote said they brought in a "consultant" to advise them, so they hardly had to do much "creative thinking" at all really!

I imagine it was a game of eenie meenie miney mo pointing at a projector screen of the places within Yosemite park that Apple Maps had actually marked correctly.

walkie

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2010
I haven't seen the Apple Keynote yet, but i'm curious to know how people in the states pronounce "El Capitán", I find it funny when people pronounce spanish names like "Las Vegas" or "Los Angeles", I hope this new OS is not as bad as "Windows Vista" was.

mmcxiiad

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
To me, El Capitan reminds me of this picture I saw a while back:

comics-Captain-America-sephko-505205.jpeg

Props to the person on deviantART who posted this.

xsquid

macrumors regular
May 27, 2015
Well, I call it " OS X La Bamba" because everytime I think about it, I can't help but singing "No yo soy marinero, soy capitan, soy capitan, soy capitan" :D

Heh, I posted the same thing in another thread yesterday.

I vote EC. Much easier.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
As a 43-year old Brit, I had a similar confusion with Drake. (Yes, I'm old and out of touch.) …

Was/is Drake the name of an operating system?

I'm your senior by around seven years and I share your nationality (the design of MacRumors, showing locations with every post, positively encourages us to talk about geographies); I think first of Sir Francis.

Maybe Drake OS is better known in the west of England.

pollaxe

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2010
West of England
Was/is Drake the name of an operating system?

I'm your senior by around seven years and I share your nationality (the design of MacRumors, showing locations with every post, positively encourages us to talk about geographies); I think first of Sir Francis.

Maybe Drake OS is better known in the west of England.

I think I'm going to skip Drake OS and wait for Raleigh OS, to better run my Mac Mini server, headless! :)

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007

The EC version, and subsequent versions for five or ten years to come, will require a Browser Choice splash screen for every initial log in by a user.

Compliance with leg is lation inandaround my brit ish nationn, innit.

I think I'm going to skip Drake OS and wait for Raleigh OS,

:) seriously though, what was/is the Drake reference?

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
What do you call 10.11?

@travod there's no shortage of humour amongst the written replies to your poll … seriously, for moment, if you'd like to add a third option to the poll itself, I would like to vote:
  • 10.11 ("ten point eleven")
– and maybe use the actions menu (cog icon) to present thread tools and then edit, broaden, the title of this topic.

Thanks

bahndoos

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
Never mind 10.11 - its all bout 10.12 next year, when Craig Federighi announces that they went even further "within" to find the essence of what lives on the mountain that is in the park:

OS X Yogi Bear

Reactions: colourfastt
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.