Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

punkywhitething

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2006
London, UK
A quick query concerning Elgato's Eyetv. I'm undecided whether I should purchase either the 250 or the slightly cheaper Hybrid. More specifically, what is the difference between having hardware encoding and how will it differ?

I will be using an iMac 24". Gaming will also be a factor. Are both of these products around the same for zero latency? I've searched around and it seems that they might differ because of how the image is processed.

If someone can possibly shed some light on this that'll be great. :)

michaelsaxon

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2006
I bought the Miglia TV Max and have been very happy with it. As I understand it, it uses the same software as the Eyetv but has different hardware. I recall comparing the two and thinking it was better. I think because it has DivX encoding.

Hardware encoding places the task of encoding your tv signal on the hardware in the product and not on your machine. I can tell you that on mine, it is frequently recording at highest quality settings in the background and I don't notice any performance degradation on my machine.

http://www.miglia.com/products/video/tvmax/index.html

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.