Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Hi there. I just installed "SwitchResX" (stupidly - IMPOSSIBLE to get rid of! :mad:) and now two of the default eMac screen resolutions are missing in:

System Preferences >> Displays:

Please someone, tell me how to rid myself of this crappy software, and also how to get back my default resolutions in SysPrefs - I am losing my mind here!.

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    69 KB · Views: 110

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
dont know anything about switchresx , have you tried to reset to factory settings under geometry in the screen settings ?
reseting pram?

btw switchresx says
Simply choose the Uninstall item from the "SwitchResX Control" menu in the Preferences application, and all components will be removed.

or you could try it with displayconfigx if the above does not help , i used it to give my eMac the resolution of the external monitor (screen spanning ) 1280x1024 but was not ideal so i lowered res again to 1024x768 on both
http://www.3dexpress.de/ dont worry english language available

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
dont know anything about switchresx , have you tried to reset to factory settings under geometry in the screen settings ?
reseting pram?

btw switchresx says
Simply choose the Uninstall item from the "SwitchResX Control" menu in the Preferences application, and all components will be removed.

or you could try it with displayconfigx if the above does not help , i used it to give my eMac the resolution of the external monitor (screen spanning ) 1280x1024 but was not ideal so i lowered res again to 1024x768 on both
http://www.3dexpress.de/ dont worry english language available

Yes I tried the so-called "help" on their site, but there is no option to uninstall - I later found you have to use the installer package to uninstall it :rolleyes: so zero stars for their "FAQ".

I also tried geometry settings to default - no joy :confused:

[EDIT] I even did a safe boot, but the resolutions are STILL MISSING!. Help! :(

I also tried CMD-OPT-P-R and then:

reset-nvram
set-defaults
reset-all

in open firmware, and it still didn't fix it!.

I am getting a bit pissed now tbh.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
ah i forgot one thing

1 uninstall whatever is to uninstall in both programs (resolution settings ) then both programs in the trash and empty trash and restart , no changes yet you will still have the programns resolutions as options ,dont worry,
now
go in "finder" macintosh hd (or how you called it)
go in system
go in library
go in displays
go in overrides
delete all with the dates that match the install of switchresx and displayconfigx (do NOT delete "overrides" folder itself )
(need to be admin with password in order to delete )
and your native resolutions should be back after restart

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
ah i forgot one thing

1 uninstall whatever is to uninstall in both programs (resolution settings ) then both programs in the trash and empty trash and restart , no changes yet you will still have the programns resolutions as options ,dont worry,
now
go in "finder" macintosh hd (or how you called it)
go in system
go in library
go in displays
go in overrides
delete all with the dates that match the install of switchresx and displayconfigx (do NOT delete "overrides" folder itself )
(need to be admin with password in order to delete )
and your native resolutions should be back after restart

Argh - I deleted the sub-folders of /System/Library/Displays/Overrides that corresponded to today's date - I guess I should have expanded them, and removed the individual FILES within them?.

I'm not blaming you, but one of the original resolutions is still missing, and I didn't find your post to be particularly accurate, but never mind.

Thanks for trying :)

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
oh :(

just one thing ,ok a bit late now, but for the future get a external firewire harddrive
make a backup with carbon copy cloner of your harddrive , after you reinstalled your system and apps , so it does not need to be a 1tb drive a small one depending how many apps and personal files you got will do the job
that way you got a working backup, which you can always use

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
oh :(

just one thing ,ok a bit late now, but for the future get a external firewire harddrive
make a backup with carbon copy cloner of your harddrive , after you reinstalled your system and apps , so it does not need to be a 1tb drive a small one depending how many apps and personal files you got will do the job
that way you got a working backup, which you can always use

I've been making DMGs for years, and yes, I should have done that - isn't hindsight annoying?!.

Fwiw, I don't see what all the fuss is about with CCC - I've always used Disk Utility, either from OS X or from the DVD; same outcome - a DMG of my Mac :).

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
ccc makes a exact copy a bootable one , means you can direct boot from the copy on the external drive, or in other words you could experiment with the external osx while the internal stays untouched

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
ccc makes a exact copy a bootable one , means you can direct boot from the copy on the external drive, or in other words you could experiment with the external osx while the internal stays untouched

... as does Disk Utility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.