Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LBmacman

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
Strong Beach
I've searched everywhere and i cant find out what the speed of my emac's hd speed. Anyone know?

I've got $120 to spend, is a bigger and faster HD going to speed up my computer? or should i buy another 512 mb of ram? thx

and is there ANYWAY to get USB 2.0 on the emac? ipod shuffle transfer speed is killing me.

excalibur313

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2003
Cambridge, MA
Going from 512mb->1gb will speed up your computer a lot more than buying a bigger hard drive, provided you have over 1gb free on the drive. With ram as cheap as it is you may want to just get a 1gb stick. It probably would be around $80-90 and you definitely wouldn't regret it. If you ever decide to get a hard drive though, newegg sells 320gb ones for like $90, which is a great deal. Check them out for memory too.

EDIT: If I had to guess I'd say that the hard drive speed is probably 4200rpm. I didn't realize the specs of the computer you had until I read your sig after posting. With that being the case, maybe a hard drive would be better. If you really scout around you might be able to find an 80gb 7200rpm hard drive for ~$50-60 and memory in the same ballpark.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Bad guess.

The eMac uses a 3.5" hard drive, and these have been standardized at 7200 RPM for several years now. There's a slim chance it's a 5400 RPM, but never a 4200. Evern 1st gen iMac G3's used 5400.
Also, there are no 1 Gb PC133 DIMMs that are compatible with the eMac 800 MHz. The machine can take 1 Gb RAM total with 2 x 512 Mb DIMMs.

There's no way to upgrade your machine to USB 2.0

More RAM is the way to go if you want speed, UNLESS your current hard drive is filled to the gills.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.