Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Hey guys well abouts 2 hours ago i just recieved an emac i bought off ebayer

1.25ghz
40gb hDD
256mb ram (put another 512mb in there that i had in my spare parts draw) will go and get 2 x 1gb sticks later to up it to its maximum 2gb)

It came pre installed with Tiger but i want to put leopard on there. I cant find my leopard disc only my leopard restore discs for the macbook pro that im typing this message on, and obviously the snow leopard disc i also have will not work with a G4.

Ib searching around and the best thing to do is to use a firewire cable i guess? and use my macbook pro to do the install? (I have a leopard DMG and i did restore it to a usb but i realised you cant boot ppc's from usb :( )

So could someone confirm if i can launch the DMG from my mbp and using a firewire cable I can tell it to run the install to my emac?

One more thing, is this the correct firewire cable I would need?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-FIREWIRE-...nectors_RL?hash=item53df331eff#ht_1687wt_1167

(Never owned an older mac before so sorry if my questions are abit silly)

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
Hey guys well abouts 2 hours ago i just recieved an emac i bought off ebayer

1.25ghz
40gb hDD
256mb ram (put another 512mb in there that i had in my spare parts draw) will go and get 2 x 1gb sticks later to up it to its maximum 2gb)

It came pre installed with Tiger but i want to put leopard on there. I cant find my leopard disc only my leopard restore discs for the macbook pro that im typing this message on, and obviously the snow leopard disc i also have will not work with a G4.

Ib searching around and the best thing to do is to use a firewire cable i guess? and use my macbook pro to do the install? (I have a leopard DMG and i did restore it to a usb but i realised you cant boot ppc's from usb :( )

So could someone confirm if i can launch the DMG from my mbp and using a firewire cable I can tell it to run the install to my emac?

One more thing, is this the correct firewire cable I would need?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-FIREWIRE-...nectors_RL?hash=item53df331eff#ht_1687wt_1167

(Never owned an older mac before so sorry if my questions are abit silly)

you cant install leopard from the macbook restore discs on your emac
as they are specific for the macbook and wont contain the drivers needed for your g4 emac as your macbook is intel

the Os discs the grey ones that come with every mac are model specific and only work on the same type of mac ,examle the ones from your macbook work on every macbook but not on a mini for example even if they are both intel
simply get a leopard retail disc and install from there

thats the reason i always buy only macs that come with the discs of the operating system thats on there , just in case i want my own name as root and admin and my own password
as expensive it might be , but i dont want to breach the eula of apple and i dont give tips how to do that ,and installing osx using a copy is against their eula

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
hmm you guys have got me wrong :S maybe I didnt explain it good enough,
I know the macbook pro restore discs wont work and the same goes with the snow leopard disc. I am aware that restore discs are for the machines they came with. I actually own a original Leopard disc with the holographic box, the problem is I do not have a clue where I have that box.

(I recently revamped my room and allot of stuff is missing... including my ipod touch :( )

However I have a dmg if the leopard disc as a backup, which I used awhile ago and still have making me able to restore it to a USB using disk utility. However... the emac i found out cannot boot from usb. Hence im asking is it possible to use the restored usb on my macbook pro and connect a fireware cable to both machines and run the install on the macbook pro but to install on the emac?

I am not asking for piracy help I actually own the disc... aswell as a snow leopard one and also the restore discs that came with my macbook pro.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
edit

ok
so you want to install in target disc mode , using the internal disc of your emac basically as external disc of your macbook, but then the dmg thinks it has to use the drivers for the macbook

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
darn it, so.. basically the only way I can do this is to find the original Leopard disc? And that should be read in the emacs dvd drive fine?

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
darn it, so.. basically the only way I can do this is to find the original Leopard disc? And that should be read in the emacs dvd drive fine?

yes:D

i simply would leave tiger on and upgrade to 2gb and then the emac flies
i tryed leopard on my emac and was disappointed about the speed it had with it

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Well the emac I got already had tiger pre installed and its abit of a mess to be honest. Which is why I wanted to do a clean install (I dont own any Tiger discs so I cant restore it back to a clean new fresh install).

Im pleased with it though got a bargain :D

AlexisV

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2007
Manchester, UK
Attempting to use the disks from one mac on another mac is piracy.

Many things wrong with that sentence, but for starters it would be attempted 'piracy'. Not that that is the right word to use anyway.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
thats the trouble on ebay with macs , just look on all macs and see the high percentage which come pre installed without discs
how that happens is easy to explain most of these macs come from schools/companys who upgraded to newer macs
so they sell them in bulk load , scrupulous buyers of these macs just keep only one disc and install this operating system on all of them , the other discs they sell separate
partly apples fault because its to easy , as you dont need a activation like in windows with code /coa sticker
and that leaves buyers like you in the mess with either a os you dont want or dont like or problem a root name you dont like, an password you dont want, nevertheless in all these occasions you would need a disc to change things

but its not all that bad you got a working eMac , just needs a disc to install leopard or tiger

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.