eMac is zapping again

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Cindy, Mar 8, 2005.

  1. Cindy macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2003
    #1
    My last mac computer blew up basically - it kept zapping, kind of like static electricity or surges - kind of hard to explain.
    I have only had this eMac for a few years and last week it zapped and just a few minutes ago it did the same thing.
    What is going on??
    Am I going to loose this computer too?
    You can hear a small "zap" kind of like a surge or static.
    Cindy
     
  2. Applespider macrumors G4

    Applespider

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2004
    Location:
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    #2
    You have got a surge protector on the power outlet? If not, get one.
     
  3. Cindy thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2003
  4. Arcus macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Dec 28, 2004
    Location:
    of my hand will get me slapped.
    #4
    Surge protectors are about worthless. After one surge they are shot and should not be used. Problem is most dont have an indicator as to when they have been hit.

    Surge protectors DONT help with brownouts which are much more common and are the real killers. Get a UPS. A true UPS.

    As far as your zapping sound it has nothing to do with your power coming in. Take that puppy back to the apple store.
     
  5. Lancetx macrumors 68000

    Lancetx

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2003
    Location:
    Texas
    #5
    It sounds like the CRT might be about to go. I would definitely take it in to Apple and have them look at it.
     
  6. Cindy thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2003
    #6
    Is it common for CRT's to go out? I bought this computer on-line but I believe there is an apple rep. store in town that could look at it.
    If it is the CRT - is that fairly inexpensive to replace?
     
  7. Palomino macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2005
    Location:
    Adelaide, South Australia
    #7
    Note he difference between a "serge" protector, and a "Risidual Current Device" RCD/Safety switch. I recomend installing an RCD.

    Jordan
     
  8. virividox macrumors 601

    virividox

    Joined:
    Aug 19, 2003
    Location:
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    #8
    seeing as its an all in one device, i think you might have to replace the computer if in fact the crt is going to go

    that said have an 8 year old crt that still runs well...so i doubt its that
     
  9. combatcolin macrumors 68020

    combatcolin

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2004
    Location:
    Northants, UK
    #9
    Or don't live in California. ;)
     
  10. Cindy thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2003
    #10
    What exactly is an RCD switch and how is it installed? Would I need to have someone install it?
    If indeed it is the CRT and I need to replace the whole computer - I might as well just wait it out and just let it go when it goes.
    I should probably start saving on disk anything I don't want to loose. My most important is my address book.
    What I would really like to do is pick up an expensive lap top - mostly for a back up.
    That way I can have all my stuff on another computer and I won't be without one IF my main one goes.
    So, on that note - maybe I'll start another post on what to look for in the Mac laptops -- used.
    Cindy
     
  11. Cindy thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2003
    #11
    I called mac-warehouse (where I bought my computer) and talked with someone there about my computer's problem. I found a receipt and the computer is barely 2 years old!
    Anyway, we ended up talking about dust in the computer and he said if it was filled with dust particles that could cause static electricity. Is that true?
    I have ALOT of dust in the house. We live next door to a horse arena for one thing and we constantly get dust in the house. I could dust the entire house twice a day and still have dust the next.
    My keyboard is VERY dusty right now.
    I'm going to take the whole computer in on Friday to have it blown out. And see if that doesn't solve the problem.
    Cindy
     
  12. Cindy thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2003
    #12
    Update

    Just an update... Some of you suggested to move the computer to another outlet. I really didn't want to because of where everything is located - it would be difficult. But the other day I did just that. So far, it's been 3 days and no zapping.
    So, I'm hoping it was just a matter of a bad outlet. I need to get an electrician out and check out the wiring!
     
  13. yellow Moderator emeritus

    yellow

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2003
    Location:
    Portland, OR
  14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

    IJ Reilly

    Joined:
    Jul 16, 2002
    Location:
    Palookaville
    #14
    Well good luck -- as I've said before, I don't think this is your problem. I'd literally be shocked if that was it. :eek:
     
  15. Cindy thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2003
    #15
    Well, I was sure hoping the UPS would help with my emac. It hasn't zapped in over a week since I got it hooked into the UPS but it just zapped - twice.
    This week my husband is going to see if his electrician will come out and test some things. The power company wouldn't help at all.
    If everything checks out with the electrician - I guess the emac goes into the shop.
    I asked the guy at the apple store about my mac and told him the last one I had did the same thing and he said he doubted it was the mac if 2 machines did the same thing -- it's got to be the electricity.
    If I had some sort of low power surge, you'd think the UPS would have taken over.
    I get my ibook next week and then I can stop using the emac and take it in if I need to or when I get some extra cash.
     

Share This Page