Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
My last mac computer blew up basically - it kept zapping, kind of like static electricity or surges - kind of hard to explain.
I have only had this eMac for a few years and last week it zapped and just a few minutes ago it did the same thing.
What is going on??
Am I going to loose this computer too?
You can hear a small "zap" kind of like a surge or static.
Cindy

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
of my hand will get me slapped.
Surge protectors are about worthless. After one surge they are shot and should not be used. Problem is most dont have an indicator as to when they have been hit.

Surge protectors DONT help with brownouts which are much more common and are the real killers. Get a UPS. A true UPS.

As far as your zapping sound it has nothing to do with your power coming in. Take that puppy back to the apple store.

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
It sounds like the CRT might be about to go. I would definitely take it in to Apple and have them look at it.

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
Is it common for CRT's to go out? I bought this computer on-line but I believe there is an apple rep. store in town that could look at it.
If it is the CRT - is that fairly inexpensive to replace?

Cindy said:
Is it common for CRT's to go out? I bought this computer on-line but I believe there is an apple rep. store in town that could look at it.
If it is the CRT - is that fairly inexpensive to replace?

seeing as its an all in one device, i think you might have to replace the computer if in fact the crt is going to go

that said have an 8 year old crt that still runs well...so i doubt its that

combatcolin

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2004
Northants, UK
Arcus said:
Surge protectors are about worthless. After one surge they are shot and should not be used. Problem is most dont have an indicator as to when they have been hit.

Surge protectors DONT help with brownouts which are much more common and are the real killers. Get a UPS. A true UPS.

As far as your zapping sound it has nothing to do with your power coming in. Take that puppy back to the apple store.

Or don't live in California. ;)

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
What exactly is an RCD switch and how is it installed? Would I need to have someone install it?
If indeed it is the CRT and I need to replace the whole computer - I might as well just wait it out and just let it go when it goes.
I should probably start saving on disk anything I don't want to loose. My most important is my address book.
What I would really like to do is pick up an expensive lap top - mostly for a back up.
That way I can have all my stuff on another computer and I won't be without one IF my main one goes.
So, on that note - maybe I'll start another post on what to look for in the Mac laptops -- used.
Cindy

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
I called mac-warehouse (where I bought my computer) and talked with someone there about my computer's problem. I found a receipt and the computer is barely 2 years old!
Anyway, we ended up talking about dust in the computer and he said if it was filled with dust particles that could cause static electricity. Is that true?
I have ALOT of dust in the house. We live next door to a horse arena for one thing and we constantly get dust in the house. I could dust the entire house twice a day and still have dust the next.
My keyboard is VERY dusty right now.
I'm going to take the whole computer in on Friday to have it blown out. And see if that doesn't solve the problem.
Cindy

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
Update

Just an update... Some of you suggested to move the computer to another outlet. I really didn't want to because of where everything is located - it would be difficult. But the other day I did just that. So far, it's been 3 days and no zapping.
So, I'm hoping it was just a matter of a bad outlet. I need to get an electrician out and check out the wiring!

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Cindy said:
Just an update... Some of you suggested to move the computer to another outlet. I really didn't want to because of where everything is located - it would be difficult. But the other day I did just that. So far, it's been 3 days and no zapping.
So, I'm hoping it was just a matter of a bad outlet. I need to get an electrician out and check out the wiring!

Well good luck -- as I've said before, I don't think this is your problem. I'd literally be shocked if that was it. :eek:

Cindy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2003
IJ Reilly said:
Well good luck -- as I've said before, I don't think this is your problem. I'd literally be shocked if that was it. :eek:

Well, I was sure hoping the UPS would help with my emac. It hasn't zapped in over a week since I got it hooked into the UPS but it just zapped - twice.
This week my husband is going to see if his electrician will come out and test some things. The power company wouldn't help at all.
If everything checks out with the electrician - I guess the emac goes into the shop.
I asked the guy at the apple store about my mac and told him the last one I had did the same thing and he said he doubted it was the mac if 2 machines did the same thing -- it's got to be the electricity.
If I had some sort of low power surge, you'd think the UPS would have taken over.
I get my ibook next week and then I can stop using the emac and take it in if I need to or when I get some extra cash.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.