eMac mods

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jayscheuerle, May 13, 2004.

1. macrumors 68020

Has anyone seen any examples of eMac mods where they remove the monitor to allow an external one. This is the quest of the mythical headless consumber beast & I can't find anything...

2. macrumors regular

Feb 4, 2004
  3. macrumors 68020

Aug 9, 2000
    RE: Linked article

wow... emac mods... never would have thought
  4. macrumors 65816

Nov 17, 2002
    you are not serious? modding brings you closer to your computer. you can't form truly say you are bonded until you've fondled it under the covers a few times...
  5. macrumors 68020

Aug 9, 2000
    no no, i understand modding... but its just that the target market for eMacs isn't exactly the "pro" crowd. it's cool, either way.
  6. thread starter macrumors 68020

It's a step in the right direction. At least I see that it's possible to power an external monitor. What I'm more interested in is removing the monitor from the eMac, configuring a smaller enclosure, and using it to drive an lcd screen.

The goal is a small, monitorless G4, for under $1000.
  7. thread starter macrumors 68020

It boggles the mind.

This seems like such an obvious hack. Is there any reason why it wouldn't be possible?
  8. macrumors 65816

Nov 30, 2003
    there are many pro/power minded mac users who can't afford a power mac. just because you have the knowledge doesn't mean you have the money to back it up.
  9. thread starter macrumors 68020

Exactly. I'll put up my design work on my beige box to stand up to whatever work a G5 user has....
  10. macrumors 68000

Jan 28, 2004
    I just saw a website the other week (sorry, can't remember where) where a guy took apart all old iMac and put it in a case that he built to look like a mini-G5. It was pretty cool and I think it would be fun to do something similar.

Edit: Found it. It was in a thread in the Apple Collectors forum.
  11. 7on
    macrumors 601

Nov 9, 2003
    Dress Rosa
    Another reason:
    doesn't the eMac have 2 ATA connections while on the iMac one ATA connection? (Therefore 4 drives possible on eMac and only 2 possible on iMac).
  12. thread starter macrumors 68020

I saw that and it's absolutely cool, but I can't help but wonder why nobody has done this with the eMac? It's a nicely powered machine for $800, but unless you want a 50 lb. beast on your desktop, the built-in monitor is overkill.

I swear, if someone had a tutorial on how to de-monitor an eMac, I'd buy a new one and gut it in a minute. I've had an idea on building a in-the-wall mounted machine that fits between standard 16" spaced studs (3.5" deep) and taps directly into a power line...