eMac slow online

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by VintageMac, Oct 28, 2008.

1. macrumors member

May 19, 2007
    My G4 1.25 eMac, 1.25 RAM, OS 10.3.9, bogs down at times when I am online. Sometimes coming to a stop for about a minute. I'm guessing there is some kind of virus or something running that I don't want. I do have a 10.5 (5 user) upgrade disc that I got for my MacBook a year ago that I'd like to upgrade with. What is the simplest/cheapest way to check what might be ailing my eMac, or do I just save all my files to CD and then reformat? I'm also concerned that I don't copy any kind of alien file back on to the newly formatted hd. Suggestions? Keep it basic please!

2. macrumors 6502

Aug 25, 2008
    Banks Peninsula, New Zealand
    I don't think it'll be your eMac if it's just slow online. Clear your browser cache, clear history etc first.

Then run Onyx, a free utility for cleaning and maintaining your MacOS. Onyx is good, and simple to use.

A virus? Unlikely, but you could try one of the Mac-friendly a-v programs like ClamXav.

I don't think you need to reinstall the OS unless you have some serious disk malfunction. Run a hardware check (Verify Disk > Repair Disk) from Disk Utility.

Your 10.5 disk will not work with your eMac. You will need to buy a full install retail version of Leopard. If you do decide to upgrade, be sure you put maximum RAM in the eMac first. Leopard is a hungry beast.