Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

omegagirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 8, 2003
Can anyone give me an idea on how big the differences are between the new 1ghz and the previous 800? I've been doing graphics on a 350 bw g3 for years now and I'm looking for a cheap/good transitional computer until a G5 comes out. If The 1ghz is a major improvement I'll buy it, other wise I'll go for the cheap.

Thanks to anyone who replies.

Steradian

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2002
San Jose
It could be best to just spring for the 800 model with upped RAM. I think that the new PowerMac's will make an appearance early next year, and I don't think that you want too buy a really nice computer then a great computer a year later. Still the choice is YOURS ;) have fun, happy spending

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Well not only did they add 200Mhz to the processor they also brought the bus speed up to 133Mhz. I also think there is a different graphics card in it. The new eMac will outperform the old model by a pretty good jump. Again...it depends on what you need and what you want to spend.

aethier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Montréal, Canada
not only does it have a faster FSB (133mhz) and 200 mhz speed increase, it also has a ati radeon 7500 instead of the gforce 2mx, it also has airport extreme, 4x dvd burner, and im not sure about this but maybe bleu tooth

aethier

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I'd go for the 1 Ghz unless you really want to conserve funds... IMHO, the new $1000 emac is one of (if not the) best value I've ever seen in a mac.

That's the model I'd go with if I were you. $1000 for a 1 Ghz G4, combo, 60 gig HD, with Radeon 7500 and AE ready... that's so sweet. You need to upgrade the RAM of course, but that's cheap as long as you don't get it through apple. IMO you'd see a major performance difference between this one and the old generation 800 mhz.

This machine could last you quite a while if you needed it to, so you might not feel the need to run out and buy a PPC 970 Powermac right away... you'd be able to wait for the second generation and/ or price drops because the emac would be up to any task for quite some time. Just my opinion.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Consumer Reports June 2003 For Mac users the Apple eMac combo, $1100 was the top brand in our support ratings and among the less repair prone brands. In the overall score Apple was the highest almost excellent. The eMac got excellent in application speed, only emachines got a very good. eMac was the only one to get very good for graphics. In the overall score for windows emachines was #2 and Dell was # 4. eMac & Dell got a very good for warrnity provisions. Firewire port available only in the e Mac & Sony Vaio. Optical Mouse available only on the eMac. Getting repairs Apple #1, Dell #2, HP 33, and IBM #4 - Technical support Apple #1 76% the only one rated best for solved problem, support staff, waiting on phone, and web support. Dell was at 64% overall score! Go Apple! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.