eMac without screen ?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Skrot Nisse, Sep 19, 2006.

1. macrumors newbie

Is it possible to pull out the insides of an eMac,
    wire up the video out to a monitor and use it
    as a stand-alone Mac ? Or does it have to be
    connected to the actual tube ?

I recall the early iMacs being able to do this, but
    that the DV iMacs couldn't...

Anyone done this, any links ?

Nisse

2. macrumors regular

As long as you keep the power supply then there shouldn't be too much of a drama. The eMac has VGA (mini?) output that can drive an external display. Having trouble with the tube on your emac?

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Is this verified ? Can one disconnect the tube without gutting the eMac ? I.e. testing before scrapping!

I've bought an eMac (on it's way) which apparently has a fuzzy screen (at times). I don't know how fuzzy...

Nisse

4. macrumors 6502a

5. macrumors 603

Markleshark

Yer, it will deffo be monitor problems then, I have a 21" CRT at work (Connected to a PC *SPIT*) that sometimes does that, a restart normally fixes tho. I would see how bad it is before deciding to gut your eMac, as that could be a fun job.

6. macrumors regular

There is the possibility that you can simply adjust the sharpness on the tube by opening it up and tweaking the flyback transformer. You'll need a take apart guide regardless but it should have the adjustments in there. You could also tuck the eMac away somewhere and just plug a seperate monitor to it without gutting it. From memory the video connection mates with the tube section not through a cable but a connector, it's quite difficult to simply disconnect the tube without pulling it apart but it can be done. Still I say chuck it in a cupboard and run another display - or see if you can correct the internal display.

7. macrumors regular

Good link - to think I could have bought an eMac logic board last week for $40 and hooked up an ATX PSU and had yet another mac. Anyways there is your answer.

8. thread starter macrumors newbie

9. macrumors 6502a

Thanks, my son's eMac is fine but that crt will not last forever.

According the Apple Dictionary application it is.
    "google |ˈgoōgəl| (also Google) verb informal [ intrans. ] use an Internet search engine, particularly Google.com : she spent the afternoon googling aimlessly. • [ trans. ] search for the name of (someone) on the Internet to find out information about them : you meet someone, swap numbers, fix a date, then Google them through 1,346,966,000 Web pages. ORIGIN from Google, the proprietary name of a popular Internet search engine."

10. thread starter macrumors newbie

11. macrumors 6502a

Mods, please lock this thread so it actually becomes useful in the archive instead of having people read a fight about the proper use of the term 'google'.

12. macrumors 604

zap2

Um..Google is an very important term...People need to know they can use it as a verb!:D

But Ya I use "to google" a lot

13. macrumors 6502

thebeephaha