Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

britboy

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
One of my brothers has asked me for some help, and got me stumped. I'm hoping someone here will have an answer :)

Is there a plug-in (or alternative) available for outlook express, whereby when you receive an email you get an alert on screen (something like one of those american letter boxes with the flag on top), and it says 'you have email'? Phew, that was a long sentance.... Anyway, i've always thought that those things were just something cute you saw in films, but was never actually implemented in the real world. So far i haven't found anything like this. Is there something out there in the big wide w3?

Now the bad news: it's for a wintel! yes, i know this forum is for mac help/question, but it doesn't exactly fit anywhere else either!

Can anyone help?
Thanks

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
No plugins required. Just go into Tools menu, select Rules.

Create a new rule and look at the picture below to set it up.

(You can make the alert say anything you want, click on the Display Message button.)

Hope that helps. :)

Attachments

• alert.gif
    alert.gif
    5.3 KB · Views: 181

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
Ah, I just read the last line of your post... it's for a wintel. I feel for your brother, man! ;)

Outlook Express for PC is similar in some ways... so I would suspect it would be nearly the same procedure. But no guarantees! Sorry about that.

britboy

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 4, 2001
Argentina
he he, i always told him he should get a mac :)

Thanks anyway hemingray. I found some comercial solutions, but have no idea how well/badly they work. I suppose that's for him to find out, and me to not have to worry about :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.