Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gtstricky

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2012
270 days seems like a really short time. But I see no real issue with recycling an email name that has been inactive for like five years or something.

270 it is locked, 360 it is recycled.

They can have mine after I am dead. I won't need it.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
It is a bit concerning but I think it would be very difficult for someone to determine what emails they would try and get after the year. I'm sure someone like Bill Gates and Donald Trump have their own tech wizards keeping track of this.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
It is a bit concerning but I think it would be very difficult for someone to determine what emails they would try and get after the year. I'm sure someone like Bill Gates and Donald Trump have their own tech wizards keeping track of this.

I doubt they use gmail also.

I don't use my gmail anymore, but I'll log in once in a while too keep it.

turtle777

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2004

You mean, they need someone to check their email, because by themselves, they would forget to check their email for 270 days ?

-t

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
Wow! This explains a lot! I created an outlook.com email address last year, it's just my first and last name @outlook.com. I was shocked this address was available because my name is EXTREMELY common. Almost as soon as I created this account I began receiving emails from Microsoft Business Partner Program about some tutorials that I (supposedly) signed up for, and they came from Microsoft's UK headquarters. Apparently my email used to belong to a Brit. I called Microsoft about these emails and confirmed they were legit and they said they would work it out. To this day, any spam email I get is British targeted spam. This explains it.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
The only soluti in that Yahoo has taken is add a button to report and email as of the old user... A very useful method.... :-(

But if you use the old email for amazon, facebook, spotify etc... There is a serious privacy risk because the new user can revolver the account linked with the old user email.

In addition there is a risk for the privacy of deceased people!!!!

You're not paying for the email service. If you want to avoid this issue, set you your own then that you control 100%

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.