Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mabaker

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 19, 2008
I am really glad knowing that the recent emergence of HTML5 video on the web is helping extending the life of PPC Mac even more.

Some ppl quote YOUTUBE as the reason they want to buy a PPC laptop or station ...well now that youtube supports HTML5 even my Powerbook g4 with 1 GHz CPU can actually play it in standard configuration all the videos!

Apple by pushing HTML5 unkowingly extended life to an excellent range of its best computers. :)

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
The html5 format on YT still uses more CPU than just raw QT in iPad mode through the developer menu in Safari. Mactubes is another great option for PowerPC. Both will use less CPU than html5.

Tucom

Cancelled
Jul 29, 2006
How do you enable HTML5 as the permanent player in YouTube, and for PPC Macs (if it's any different)?

And sure QT may be smoother, but the layout of the web page is far less user friendly and intuitive and just dumbed down/kinda suckage for me at least than the default normal YT lay out, thus pass on the iPad trick for me. Tried it, and pretty cool that it does work though.

But yeah this is sweet for PPC Macs :cool:

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
How do you enable HTML5 as the permanent player in YouTube, and for PPC Macs (if it's any different)?

And sure QT may be smoother, but the layout of the web page is far less user friendly and intuitive and just dumbed down/kinda suckage for me at least than the default normal YT lay out, thus pass on the iPad trick for me. Tried it, and pretty cool that it does work though.

But yeah this is sweet for PPC Macs :cool:

Just go to this page and click "Join the HTML5 Trial"
http://www.youtube.com/html5

You make a good point about the interface not being as good but some PowerPC Macs like sub 1GHz can only play the raw quicktime well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.