Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple and EMI will be holding a joint press conference at 1pm London time, 8am EDT, to discuss "an exciting new digital offering."

Late last week, a MacRumors source indicated that the event would revolve around the removal of Digital Rights Management (DRM) from EMI tracks in the iTunes store. Unverifiable at the time, we did not publish the information until yesterday, which has since been echoed from the Wall Street Journal.

We will update this story periodically throughout the event as new information becomes available.

Audio Webcast

Confirmed: DRM-free Music: MacRumors user stomer has found slides from further in the webcast that confirm that the announcement will revolve around "DRM-free tracks at twice the sound quality."

Slide5_300.gif

EMI Press Release
Apple Press Release

Updates (Time is EDT, Chronological Order)
- 7:53am Audio Feed has become available
- 8:02 Music playing over audio feed now
- 8:06 Greetings...
- 8:09 Going to have to be patient a bit longer... live performances first.
- 8:10 Performance by The Good, The Bad, and The Queen
- 8:23 We are focused on giving the consumers a truly compelling experience
- 8:24 Our research indicates that consumers are willing to pay a higher price in order to play their music on any player.
- 8:24 Announcing premium downloads. Free from DRM, and higher sound quality.
- 8:25 Upgrade ability as well.
- From press release: $1.29 for premium tracks (DRM-less), $.99 for standard (DRM), and $.30 for upgrade
- 8:28 Steve takes stage.
- 8:29 "Next stage in the digital music revolution"
- 8:31 Premium tracks will be 256 kbps AAC
- 8:32 Available next month (May)
- From press release: All EMI music videos will also be available on the iTunes Store DRM-free with no change in price.
- 8:35 End of formal conference, begin of Q/A

- Q: When are the Beatles coming?
- A: Don't know yet.

- Q: You mentioned 2.5 million tracks available by year end... obviously that isn't just EMI...
- A: (Steve) Yes... that is our projection for other labels coming on board as well.

- Q: Now that the link between iTunes/iPod is broken, do you expect a decline in iPod sales?
- A: (Steve) I don't see a link, because you have always been able to buy music from elsewhere (CD's) and put it on your iPod. We're going to keep working to do the best job at what we do, and we are going to hope that consumers agree.

- Q: What's the point on keeping DRM on standard tracks?
- A: (Steve) We don't want to force-raise the price on anyone.

[ Digg This ]

xJulianx

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2006
Brighton, UK
Is this what you are after?

Wow, thats alot more than I thought! I'm gonna be so stoked if EMI drop DRM.

EDIT: Actually, there are next to no artists that are signed to EMI that I listen to, and if I do, I already have their albums. Oh well, still going to be a step forward for the iTunes music store regardless if DRM is dropped.

macintel4me

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
Wow, this really could be true after all. Man, Steve and Apple are relentless in their pursuit of consumer product excellence. So much for that econ theory that says a monolopgy does NOT innovate. Apple has 70-some marketshare and still doing this!!!! :eek: Simply amazing!!

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
I didn't expect a live stream! This is awesome, it's like an unexpected macworld presentation! Can't wait till it starts! :D

Feb 27, 2006
No QT?

At least they could offer QT seeing as though its an Apple event...well half Apple anyway...

ppnkg

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
UK
Wow, this really could be true after all. Man, Steve and Apple are relentless in their pursuit of consumer product excellence. So much for that econ theory that says a monolopgy does NOT innovate. Apple has 70-some marketshare and still doing this!!!! :eek: Simply amazing!!

uhm... a monopoly? not really...

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Im having much better luck with the Real Audio stream. Theyre playing some music right now. Im forgoing my lunch break for this so it better be big!

caipirina

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2002
no QT audio ???

This is incredible ... Steve Jobs as special guest, Mr. QuickTime himself ... and you can only get the audio in WM and RP .. thats not a good sign ... :mad:

macintel4me

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
you would have thought that maybe, just maybe, the audio stream could have been using Apple technology like QuickTime or an iTunes digital radio station. Oh well... :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.