Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
OOoo! It sounds like he's headed toward dropping DRM! I can't believe it's actually gonna happen!

chrisgeleven

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2002
Ok, EMI president just said that they have an exciting new digital initiative, but first there will be some live music.

I have to say, for a record label exec, he seems to be interesting.

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
Im partial to some Damon Albarn, but jesus christ put this at the end like Apple do at Macworld!!!

:mad:

Bobthemonkey

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2006
Def DRM, especially with the Albarn quote.

The Good, The Bad and The Queen..listen, they are good.

re. the previous post, they cann't be suggesting you have to pay more for DRM free, all th is talk of a premium product with enhanced sound qaulity, and upgrading existing content.

chrisgeleven

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2002
That slide is weird. How can non-DRM tracks have twice the sound quality, but DRM tracks have standard sound quality?

Does that mean we get lossless DRM tracks and then lossy non-DRM?

Applespider

macrumors G4
Ha... they giveth one hand and taketh away with the other...

so you only get DRM free if you pay for the privelege... and you only get the better quality if you pay for the difference. Given that it doesn't take any extra effort to encode at 256, it'll be interesting to see whether it's twice the price.

I wonder if consumers will vote with their wallets and stick to the DRM'd stuff.

codo

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2006
England, United Kingdom
DRM Free at last. Now I can go back and flag up the post of the Apple fanboy zealots who listed the reasons it would never happen from their repertoire of knowledge, criticising anyone who disagreed. Brilliant, fun for all!

Excellent move for the consumer.

macintel4me

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
HOLY ****!!

Slide 5 says

DRM-free track at twice the sound quality
or
Standard souquality tracks with DRM

Go frickin' Apple!!! Steve is the Jack Baur for consumers. :p

captan

macrumors member
May 11, 2005
Wow, is everything covered live these days? I mean, Steve Jobs keynote at WWDC or Nintendo keynote at E3 for instance I can understand, but isn't this a bit too much hype for a minor event/press release thing? Exactly how big is this news on the grand scale?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.