Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AWishForNoOne

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2003
how do you empty the trash can on osX with a keyboard shortcut. they give me some funky one when i do it manually but i could never figure out to do it. simple stuff but help would be appreciated:)

djkut

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2002
here ya go

Shift command delete, or shift-apple-delete, depending on what you call the key. When you are in the finder it is in the finder menu, you will see the keys next to the words "Empty Trash"

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
You guys are lucky - I've got a folder stuck in my Trash Can that's been there for ages (OSX.2). It was a demo of "Wings of Mercury" for OS9 that I decided to trash. It keeps telling me that the file is being used by another application. Blah!

I've tried Pseudo, the sudo command in Terminal, logging out then in again, booting into OS9 to empty the trash - everything. Anybody got any ideas?

Bueller?

Bueller?

:confused:

medea

macrumors 68030
Aug 4, 2002
Madison, Wi
Originally posted by kiwi_the_iwik
You guys are lucky - I've got a folder stuck in my Trash Can that's been there for ages (OSX.2). It was a demo of "Wings of Mercury" for OS9 that I decided to trash. It keeps telling me that the file is being used by another application. Blah!

I've tried Pseudo, the sudo command in Terminal, logging out then in again, booting into OS9 to empty the trash - everything. Anybody got any ideas?

Bueller?

Bueller?

:confused:
Is it locked maybe, click on the file and then use apple key+i to open get info and uncheck the locked option if its on there.

benixau

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
Sydney, Australia
and holding shift whilst booting. that stops your startup items from running. it is good way to stop some hidden servicecs starting up that may be (for some unknown reason) in that folder.

good luck

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
go to versiontracker.com

download "delete it"

problem solved

I'm really intrigued by this program - the blurb on versiontracker says that it's exactly what I want to have done. The only problem is that it requires a degree in rocket science (or bagel making, depending on your intellect - mine's a bit dim) to access the right folder to delete.

It shows up even hidden files - so now I have a list of Unix-style file & folder names to contend with. Damn. Which one should I work with? I DEFINITELY don't want to have to reinstall X.2 because I was stupid enough to delete the wrong file.

I was thinking - because I'm logged in, does that mean that the trashed folder only resides in the trash on my desktop, or would it be universally across all accounts? Is this why I can't see it when booted into OS9? Hmmmm...

Thanks for all the advice...

;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.