Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

derajfast

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2004
i just bought a pair of rather expensive headphones, but i am dissapointed with the internal sound thats on the motherboard of my 15inch powerbook. i am looking for some type of sound card that goes in to my pc slot like this one...http://www.directron.com/audigy2zsnb.html.........however, i called creative labs, and they said its not mac compatible, but that they have had customers that have been able to get it to work...does anyone know any way to do this or a comporable product that is mac compatible? thanks a ton.....ANY help is greatly appreciated, and i desperately need to get one.

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
Do you need to put your volume way up to get descent sound? Could be that the line-out just isn't powerful enough to drive your headphones (which doesn't do wonders for the sound), and in that case an external soundcard won't help as much since most I've seen have weak line-outs.

Might want to look into a (portable) headphone amplifier.

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
derajfast said:
i just bought a pair of rather expensive headphones, but i am dissapointed with the internal sound thats on the motherboard of my 15inch powerbook. i am looking for some type of sound card that goes in to my pc slot like this one...http://www.directron.com/audigy2zsnb.html.........however, i called creative labs, and they said its not mac compatible, but that they have had customers that have been able to get it to work...does anyone know any way to do this or a comporable product that is mac compatible? thanks a ton.....ANY help is greatly appreciated, and i desperately need to get one.
Try this page for some options.
Sweetwater, PCMIA Soundcards

I have not used any of the PCMIA cards, but have heard that they are ok, but they are quite expensive. As another poster reccomended, try a headphone amp. You will never, never, never get a full quality result out of high-end headphones without a headphone amp.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.