Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Original poster
Oct 27, 2009
https://news.samsung.com/global/get-things-done-faster-with-the-newly-enhanced-edge-screen

So we can expect this on the S7 Edge. The S6 Edge plus and S6 Edge when updated to Android 6.0 Marshmallow.

EdgeUpdate_Main_0.4.jpg

A widened edge panel allows for even more content to be displayed
EdgeUpdate_Main_1.5.jpg

People edge, before and after the OS upgrade

EdgeUpdate_Main_2.5.jpg

Apps edge, before and after (left, middle) and the all new Tasks edge (right)
EdgeUpdate_Main_5.2.jpg

Quick tools, now available on the wider edge panel
EdgeUpdate_Main_3.3.jpg

Customize the Edge handle by location, size and transparency
EdgeUpdate_Main_4.3.jpg

Reactions: MRU

GadgetSN

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Nice to see. It still needs more support though as the current edge features are almost useless. For me the edge on my Edge plus is purely for design and looks. I dont need the people edge nor apps edge because I have the better implemented scrolling app dock with Nova. Also why do Samsung insist on ridiculously large icons. If I could I would change to 10 smaller app icons per column rather than the five currently allowed. I really detest Samsung use of large icons throughout touchwiz. They need to be half the current size.

I wish the edge on each side was instead two separate screens like the Note edge. Would have been alot more useful.

Still if anything the curved screen makes the phone so much nicer to use from a feel point of view.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
I saw this, and it looks really good. But I've been waiting for Marshmallow ever since I got my Edge+. Get on with it Sammy!

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Finally compass in 2016.
Oh look, a stock compass app on a smartphone... We call this bloatware garbage. If we want a compass, we download an app. How many people use their smartphone as a compass? Less than .00000000000000000001% probably.
[doublepost=1455843248][/doublepost]
Nice to see. It still needs more support though as the current edge features are almost useless. For me the edge on my Edge plus is purely for design and looks. I dont need the people edge nor apps edge because I have the better implemented scrolling app dock with Nova. Also why do Samsung insist on ridiculously large icons. If I could I would change to 10 smaller app icons per column rather than the five currently allowed. I really detest Samsung use of large icons throughout touchwiz. They need to be half the current size.

I wish the edge on each side was instead two separate screens like the Note edge. Would have been alot more useful.

Still if anything the curved screen makes the phone so much nicer to use from a feel point of view.
I use the Edge feature for one thing and that is for people to quickly text or phone with the flick of my thumb. Other than that I also find it mostly useless.

John Mcgregor

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Newport
Oh look, a stock compass app on a smartphone... We call this bloatware garbage. If we want a compass, we download an app. How many people use their smartphone as a compass? Less than .00000000000000000001% probably.
[doublepost=1455843248][/doublepost]
I use the Edge feature for one thing and that is for people to quickly text or phone with the flick of my thumb. Other than that I also find it mostly useless.

I personally use it often and the ones in google play store were ****. I also use level almost everyday.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

But the really great thing about Android is if you don't like the icon size or grid size you can install another launcher like Nova and customize it exactly the way you want it to be.

John Mcgregor

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Newport
But the really great thing about Android is if you don't like the icon size or grid size you can install another launcher like Nova and customize it exactly the way you want it to be.

And watch battery life drop in front of your eyes. Yeah i tried most of them.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
not true. I have a N5 and the battery life between running the stock launcher and Nova is not measurable.
I haven't noticed a difference at all.

I'm using Action Launcher 3 on my Androids (its now my preferred 3rd party launcher due to its colour matching to wallpaper) and likewise - there is no difference between it and the stock launchers battery wise.

Reactions: jamezr

John Mcgregor

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Newport
not true. I have a N5 and the battery life between running the stock launcher and Nova is not measurable.
I haven't noticed a difference at all.

I have S6 and it drops in front of my eyes. If i didn't disable all the instagrams dropboxes, onedrives and offices it would be even worse. You add another software layer on top and say there is no difference. That's like saying adding chocolate on a cake doesn't increase it's thickness.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I have S6 and it drops in front of my eyes. If i didn't disable all the instagrams dropboxes, onedrives and offices it would be even worse. You add another software layer on top and say there is no difference. That's like saying adding chocolate on a cake doesn't increase it's thickness.
lol....you can say that about ANY app you install too btw. I have used Nova and other third party launchers for years and have not noticed any battery impact. But everyone's experiences are different. Enjoy your stock launcher......

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

That's actually a flawed assumption ... In this instance you are not adding - but substituting one launcher for the other. Indeed Nova / Action Launcher are often lighter (Ram utilisation) than TW HOME (the launcher part of TW).

John Mcgregor

Suspended
Aug 21, 2015
Newport
That's actually a flawed assumption ... In this instance you are not adding - but substituting one launcher for the other. Indeed Nova / Action Launcher are often lighter (Ram utilisation) than TW HOME (the launcher part of TW).

Have you checked the task manager? touchwiz is still running. Everytime i used a 3rd party launcher battery life would suffer by up to 20% especially on Holo.
[doublepost=1455964375][/doublepost]
lol....you can say that about ANY app you install too btw. I have used Nova and other third party launchers for years and have not noticed any battery impact. But everyone's experiences are different. Enjoy your stock launcher......

Actually no, you can't, if you install a chess app it is ot going to be in your face every time you wake the display, but a launcher app will be plus touchwizz or whatever will running under it.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Have you checked the task manager? touchwiz is still running. Everytime i used a 3rd party launcher battery life would suffer by up to 20% especially on Holo.
it.

Holo launcher is one of the heaviest launchers out there despite its apparent small install file size. It's full of extra plug in apps constantly begging for install and pushed content from its developer, and is a bloated mess... That's why your battery life is suffering ... There's a reason 'free' launchers are 'free' ....

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Actually no, you can't, if you install a chess app it is ot going to be in your face every time you wake the display, but a launcher app will be plus touchwizz or whatever will running under it.
that's a false assumption on your part. And yes you can install any app as you first claimed and say it uses more battery than before you installed the app.
You can install any app...depending on the app and it will run in the background and use resources.
As others have pointed out to you most launchers don't use a lot of resources in the background. Especially one like Nova that has a great user experience and a great reputation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.