Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zonck

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 27, 2020
Hi guys,

A bit of a weird one but couldn't think where else to ask this.

I've a Macbook Pro M1 Pro that was issued to me in my software developement job. Unfortunately a year ago I was made redundant but as part of my exist package I was gifted the MacBook by the company as a 'Sorry, hope this helps ease the blow and you can use it to find a new job' sorta thing. I checked at the time and it's been unenrolled from any MDM or device managment, factory reset, etc, etc, it's legally mine and I've any necessary proof.

When the device was purchased by the company they purchased a 3 year Applecare, which leads me to think it's Enterprise as any I've seen for consumer's are only two years. I've previously been told AppleCare is tied to a device, not a person or company.

With all this in mind, does anyone know if I can redeem/use this applecare if I go into Apple? I'm based in the UK, if that makes any difference or there are any regional rules?

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Hi guys,

A bit of a weird one but couldn't think where else to ask this.

I've a Macbook Pro M1 Pro that was issued to me in my software developement job. Unfortunately a year ago I was made redundant but as part of my exist package I was gifted the MacBook by the company as a 'Sorry, hope this helps ease the blow and you can use it to find a new job' sorta thing. I checked at the time and it's been unenrolled from any MDM or device managment, factory reset, etc, etc, it's legally mine and I've any necessary proof.

When the device was purchased by the company they purchased a 3 year Applecare, which leads me to think it's Enterprise as any I've seen for consumer's are only two years. I've previously been told AppleCare is tied to a device, not a person or company.

With all this in mind, does anyone know if I can redeem/use this applecare if I go into Apple? I'm based in the UK, if that makes any difference or there are any regional rules?
AppleCare+ for Macs covers for three years. AppleCare+ for everything else covers for two years. It's totally possible to have AppleCare+ For Enterprise (which can cover for either three or four years, depending on a factor that completely escapes my memory at this time) on hardware that was otherwise released from your company's MDM and Apple Business/School Manager instance. I'd be curious as to what happens when that date expires. I have one such machine and that expiration date isn't until later this year...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.