Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Argelius

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2005
I am using Entourage as my email reader on Tiger.

My email accounts are currently set up to "delete messages from server when they are deleted from this computer."

Unless I am missing something, this doesn't mean "when they are deleted from within Entourage (i.e. moved to Deleted Items folder).

Being a recent Switcher(TM), I was used to MS Outlook being set up to delete mail from the server when it's moved from the Inbox.

Is there anyway to have this behavior with Entourage?

Thanks!

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Argelius said:
I am using Entourage as my email reader on Tiger.

My email accounts are currently set up to "delete messages from server when they are deleted from this computer."

Unless I am missing something, this doesn't mean "when they are deleted from within Entourage (i.e. moved to Deleted Items folder).

Being a recent Switcher(TM), I was used to MS Outlook being set up to delete mail from the server when it's moved from the Inbox.

Is there anyway to have this behavior with Entourage?

Thanks!
The very simpliest way is to File > Save As... an individual mail message. The default is as a text document. However, the pop-up menu at the bottom of the page allows you to select mail message as the document type. That is the simpliest way, but it works only for discrete messages. You may also archive a large number of messages. To do this, you have to run all around Job's barn. You must create a project, add the messages to that project, archive (back-up) the project, and then delete the originals. You may import the archive anytime that you want to access you archived messages.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
I just move the selected messages from my Inbox under "Chris' Email Account" to a selected folder under "Folder's on My Computer." This actually copies the email messages rather than moving them, allowing me to delete them from my inbox (and the server) and still having a copy of them on my computer.

Argelius

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 16, 2005
I am a moron...

tobefirst said:
I just move the selected messages from my Inbox under "Chris' Email Account" to a selected folder under "Folder's on My Computer." This actually copies the email messages rather than moving them, allowing me to delete them from my inbox (and the server) and still having a copy of them on my computer.

Jeez...I am a moron.

I must have looked at that account setting page about a gazillion times. Duh. If I uncheck the "save message on server" box, it does what I want. Never mind...
:eek:

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
Argelius said:
Jeez...I am a moron.

I must have looked at that account setting page about a gazillion times. Duh. If I uncheck the "save message on server" box, it does what I want. Never mind...
:eek:

Yes, with pop accounts. If you need access from multiple places though, you'll want that checked.

BTW, it doesn't delete them when you move them to deleted items. Instead it deletes them when you empty deleted items.

But you seem to have solved the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.