Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

cw11_500.jpg

Macenstein posts a gallery of an Envy green and Graphite Colorware iPhone. The paint job is described as "pristine".

We'd previously reported on Colorware's iPhone options, which offers a custom colored iPhones in 29 different colors. The color modification costs $149 on top of the price of the iPhone.

Article Link

grafikat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2003
um, doesn't this VOID YOUR :apple: WARRANTY!!!???!?

quite possibly....This is in tiny print on their website:
ColorWare Inc. replaces all existing Apple Inc. warranty policies and procedures with a ColorWare Inc. warranty, the documentation for which is included with all products purchased from ColorWare Inc.

b257177

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
um, doesn't this VOID YOUR :apple: WARRANTY!!!???!?

Yes, it will. And, this is one"hack" you can't wipe out before you take your iPhone into the Apple store for attention... unlike the things you can do with iFuntastic, etc., which are wipeout-able with a software restore.

benspratling

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2006
Dang, that is one ugly green phone! I thought we got rid of that color when we entered the 1980's. I think someone in the future must have invented a time machine, because I'm pretty sure that there were chunks that look just like this green iPhone in the Stegasaurus crap in the movie Jarasic Park.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
I personally think the iPhone looks best the way it comes. The aluminum look matches Apple and looks professional. I wouldn't purchase something like this unless the back of my phone was scratched up pretty bad and if it voids the warranty I would probably pass on any replacement.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
Dang, that is one ugly green phone! I thought we got rid of that color when we entered the 1980's. I think someone in the future must have invented a time machine, because I'm pretty sure that there were chunks that look just like this green iPhone in the Stegasaurus crap in the movie Jarasic Park.

Check the colour named "lightning". That one really surprised me!:D

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Yeah but mind was free and still sexy. :)

Attachments

• newphone_sm.jpg
    newphone_sm.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 132

odHbo

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
don't most "galleries" consist of a few photos rather than just one?

:cool:

TurboSC

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2007
California
I applaud his efforts to take the plunge, but I doubt I'd get something like this done... I'd be even more pissed if I dropped it.

ross.32

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2007
I don't know I think it looks pretty good with everything Smoke and a Black logo. I might actually do this. Before I do, I have a question for anyone with a MBP. Does the color on the back of the normal iPhone match the color of the MBPs?

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
I think it looks great. I don't like the lime green colour, but they've done a great job on it - I particularly like the graphite on the back, but if I got it done I think I'd keep the chrome on the front (and obviously choose a colour other than limegreen!).

Yes, it's expensive, but anything that allows you to customize your phone to your personality/preference is a good thing IMO.

And no, the warranty isn't void - as it says, the Apple warranty is replaced by a Colorware warranty - meaning any costs for repairs within the warranty period will be covered by Colorware.

operator207

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2007
This color will go great with my harvest gold oven and fridge from the 70's!

Seriously though, its cool to mod your phone, and to each his own.

At least this is not a clear back with LEDs that blink like a UFO when you get a call.

TPALTony

macrumors regular
May 29, 2007
And no, the warranty isn't void - as it says, the Apple warranty is replaced by a Colorware warranty - meaning any costs for repairs within the warranty period will be covered by Colorware.

The more concerning part is that it doesn't say that the Colorware warranty is the same as the Apple one. When you read their warrany pages the warranty they offer is much less. 1 month if you send them your phone, and they only fix things if they determine they caused the problem.

Maybe the iPhone replacement warranty is better, but based on what is on their website, this would seem like too big a risk to take for me.

To the original poster...What was the warranty info that came back with the phone when Colorware returned it to you?

be well

t

Annndy!

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2006
Halethorpe, MD
I don't know I think it looks pretty good with everything Smoke and a Black logo. I might actually do this. Before I do, I have a question for anyone with a MBP. Does the color on the back of the normal iPhone match the color of the MBPs?

Yes it does.

ross.32

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2007
Well no special colors for me then. I will just keep the matching MBP and iPhone the way they are.

Concerning the warranty, I don't think that getting the ColorWare would void the original Apple warrenty. If I understand correct, all ColorWare does is paint the exterior of the iPhone, they don't take it apart and replace parts. I don't think Apple would void your warranty for painting it. It is about the same thing as writing your name in Sharpie or something. If a situation came down to Apple having to replace your iPhone through the warrenty, I think that you would only be out the $150 to get it painted, not the $600 for the phone. I could be wrong though.

toxthexnines

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2007
405/918
i think if the back of my iphone was colored, i think i would be more paranoid about getting it scratched. and im not all about it voiding your apple warranty.:apple:

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
I wonder if there's anywhere in the UK that does this sort of thing?

Think I'll wait until my warranty runs out before I do it (that's if iPhone 2 isn't rumoured to be out for a least another 6 months!!), but I'd like to get it done. Just not 100% happy about shipping it to the States and being without it for 2-3 weeks just to get it painted...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.