Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matthewreid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2002
I just purchased the Epson CX4600 and installed the software/drivers that were on the cd, but it installed a TON of apps that I don't want.

Basically, I am wondering if I just plugged the printer into the computer without installing anything off of the cd, will I be able to use all of the functions of this printer, instead of using the cd supplied stuff.

In other words, when I open up vuescan, will it recognize my scanner? If I put a media card into the slot on the printer, will OS X automatically recognize it? etc.?

When you buy a new printer, do you plug it in first to see if OS X will automatically "see" it?

Thanks for your help!

Matt

emw

macrumors G4
Aug 2, 2004
Interestingly enough, I bought the CX4600 a couple of weeks ago. At the time, I was running off of a backup hard drive due to problems with my main drive, and I installed some of the Epson software. It's actually not all that bad to have.

However, I recently finished cleaning up and repairing my main hard drive, reinstalled Tiger, and plugged in the printer. It seems to work okay, although I did copy over my printers.plist file, so I didn't re-add the printer, but neither did I install any of the Epson stuff.

My guess is that Tiger might recognize and print to it automatically, but the Epson software, I think, installs everything you need for scanning, etc. (I haven't tried that). I doubt you need any extra software to read storage cards.

matthewreid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 25, 2002
Great, thanks!

I was planning on re-installing Tiger on my computer soon, so I guess the best thing to do is to just plug it in after installation and try each thing out by trial and error.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.