Epson CX4600 Printer/Scanner...do I have to install the included software?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by matthewreid, Aug 30, 2005.

1. matthewreid macrumors newbie

matthewreid

I just purchased the Epson CX4600 and installed the software/drivers that were on the cd, but it installed a TON of apps that I don't want.

Basically, I am wondering if I just plugged the printer into the computer without installing anything off of the cd, will I be able to use all of the functions of this printer, instead of using the cd supplied stuff.

In other words, when I open up vuescan, will it recognize my scanner? If I put a media card into the slot on the printer, will OS X automatically recognize it? etc.?

When you buy a new printer, do you plug it in first to see if OS X will automatically "see" it?

Thanks for your help!

Matt

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

Interestingly enough, I bought the CX4600 a couple of weeks ago. At the time, I was running off of a backup hard drive due to problems with my main drive, and I installed some of the Epson software. It's actually not all that bad to have.

However, I recently finished cleaning up and repairing my main hard drive, reinstalled Tiger, and plugged in the printer. It seems to work okay, although I did copy over my printers.plist file, so I didn't re-add the printer, but neither did I install any of the Epson stuff.

My guess is that Tiger might recognize and print to it automatically, but the Epson software, I think, installs everything you need for scanning, etc. (I haven't tried that). I doubt you need any extra software to read storage cards.

3. matthewreid thread starter macrumors newbie

matthewreid

Great, thanks!

I was planning on re-installing Tiger on my computer soon, so I guess the best thing to do is to just plug it in after installation and try each thing out by trial and error.