Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Edmond4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
I bought an Epson R200 printer to print on the face of CD's. It came with software, but on the mac side, runs awful, causes panic cornels. It also has no ability in the accompanying software to recognize the CD tray, but always looks for "paper" instead of the tray. On the PC side, everything works.

Does anyone know of where I might find support or more updated software on this? The printer is over a year old and has not worked well on the mac, a great frustration. It's all a software issue, and I've not found Epson to be very helpful.

Edmond4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
My great problem is that the software "Print CD" is much more limited and simplistic on the Mac than on the PC side. It doesn't even acknowledge the tray, I can't even select the tray nor tell it then to print on CD's or DVD's. It's pretty frustrating. I can't seem to find updated software that makes the printer workable on the Mac side. Surely, they have updated and support the software for the printers running on the mac, wouldn't you think? I can't find anything on-line though.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Edmond4 said:
My great problem is that the software "Print CD" is much more limited and simplistic on the Mac than on the PC side. It doesn't even acknowledge the tray, I can't even select the tray nor tell it then to print on CD's or DVD's. It's pretty frustrating. I can't seem to find updated software that makes the printer workable on the Mac side. Surely, they have updated and support the software for the printers running on the mac, wouldn't you think? I can't find anything on-line though.
Epson Print CD v 1.2E (dated 2003) works for me here. acknowledges the tray and the printer, and makes prints. As I said, if you don't position the tray in the exact right place in the printer bed, it doesn't work.

riciad

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2005
Ireland
I've had Print CD working on my Macs with Epson R200, R300 and R1800 printers with no problems aside from, as CanadaRAM says, a bit of finicky positioning with the tray.

Edmond4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
I'll have to try again perhaps, as I did find a download of the program on a website since making this post. Perhaps it's a more current and up to date version.

I think I might have had some problems with conflicting software. I tried to print from Adobe Illustrator at one point, and it would freeze the program. Other problems occuring with the printer and software on the Mac side. I'm delighted that you guys have Epson Printers working on macs, that gives me hope.

Mr.Gadget

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2006
Post Falls, ID
I understand there are many photo programs, CD burning programs, etc, that work with making CD/DVD direct prints. You have to feed the program coordinates to make it work. Epson was kind enough to say, "Hey! There are programs you can use other than PrintCD"... But they don't tell what those coordinates are!
I'd love to replace the default PrintCD program... Did that other one work for you Edmond4? What is it? Thanks!

Edmond4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2006
I haven't tried it yet, so busy. I installed it, but not having the printer and the initial driver hooked up, I've not yet tried it.

I'll check though and give a report. What I downloaded was Epson Print CD.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I have the R1800 and the software blows, but it does work...SLOWLY. The tray has only been a problem once and I managed to fit it. It was really all about where the tray was. It was 1mm off and all hell broke loose.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
Strange, I've had no problems with PrintCD and my R200. Software has always run fine and done what I needed it to do. It has a little bit of a non-standard quirky interface, but oh well.

johnwr

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2006
Just got it to work on my Mac

I had exactly the same problem as mentioned at the top of this thread, prints okay from my pc but not from my G5 running 10.4.8. always tries to print onto paper and caused led's on the Epson R200 to flash with a misfeed error..

I did manage to resolve this as follows..

Select print and then select from the 3rd drop down menu (copies and pages) and change to Print Settings, then change the Media Type to CD/DVD.

Worked okay but then had to fiddle with position under File - Fine Tune Print Position, as it was about 5mm out.

Love my Mac but this is one task that was much easier on the pc.

Hope this is of help
John

jarinehart

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2006
I also had problems with the R200 and CD printing, just last week in fact, I downloaded the latest Epson Mac software drivers and then I was able to print from other design programs. I used the free one that comes with toast. I had to choose my printer then in one of the drop down menus there is a paper selection option and then choose the CD/DVD tray. I used it that way with the Toast software and the ExpressIt software that Memorex ships with thier label kits. I did have to do a lot of drop down menu searching to find the option though. After I found how to make it work I blew out 80 DVD's in an evening.

prpstar3

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2006
Epson R200 series CD print

Anyone having problems getting CD Print software to print to cd and it always wanting to print to paper there is a solution. Dont go to file page setup options to look for cd. Go straight to print and when the box comes up, go to copies and pages and a drop down menu should appear. Choose Print Settings from that drop down menu and a sreen with choose media ( and other options ) should appear. Choose CD/DVD or Premium Surface CD/DVD then print. The only option you really have to worry about in Page Setup is that Printer doesn't just say any printer but actually has Epson R210 or whichever model printer you are using. So just go to File drop down Print and follow what I have said above. Cheers!
Didn't read above where others have done the same as myself.I have had trouble with printing position on discs as well. I don't own a PC ownly 2 macs so I've never used a PC to print with this printer. I'm using 10.3.9 on one and 10.4.8 on the other.

curleegirl

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2007
None of these suggestions works for me ...

:mad: What gives? It's not even consistent! The drivers that Epson offers for Mac users suck big time. Even regular printing on the R200 is much more limited and user UN-friendly than with a PC. Sometimes, selecting Epson Print CD from the Print menu 3rd drop down box (default is Copies and Pages) has resulted in success. Most times not. Sometimes I've been able to select the appropriate media from Page Setup menu resulting in success, most times not. However, I've never had success implementing the last suggestion, which was simply to select CD/DVD from the drop down menu in the Print menu presets. Please let me know if anyone has had direct help from Epson on this, or can offer a different approach than those listed above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.