Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imac abuser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
I have a 4th generation iPod, and sold it to a friend and he wants to flash it (erase it) any tips? I know there is a way to do that

imac abuser

jtgotsjets

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2004
Lawrence, KS
mgu07225.jpg

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
why do you need to erase it on the go? He could easily do it when it's plug in, because if he's going to want to use it, he's going to have to plug it in to a computer. unless he wants an expensive paper weight

Norouzi

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2004
Philadelphia, PA
I believe you can use itunes or Disk Utility to format it. I don't know of any way to erase it on the go. But I do know you can format it because I once turned a PC iPod into a Mac iPod by formating it.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Connect it to his iTunes. That will do the trick.

Otherwise, throw it off of a tall building (10+ stories) and it will be "formatted" all over the sidewalk. ;)

mms

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2003
CA
When you reset iPod all your music and files are saved, but some customized settings may be lost. Date and time is preserved (unless the iPod reset itself because it had no power and then was reconnected to power). Other customized settings, such as Bookmarks, On-The-Go Playlists, Shuffle, Backlight timer, and so forth are preserved from the last time the hard drive turned on.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61705

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.