Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I consider myself a tech guy. However, I frequently get lost in the Settings menu of Android phone. There is no order in this operating system. The fact that it comes with two browsers out of the box is a simple example. People dont ****ing care what browser they will use. They want just fast and intuitive browsing experiance. The same applies for mail clients, notes apps and more. Out of the box, Android comes with three pages of apps, most of them useless for most of the users. And then you have Google store or whatever it is called. Several times I had download different free apps that in two hours just block my phone with notifications and ads. And then I spend 30 min. searching how to disable the damn notification which force me to delete the app, which isnt easy task if you are new to the Android OS. In OS you just hold your finger on the app icon and press the X, thats it, its gone. The battery performace and task manager isnt that perfect also. I have to enter a separate app icon just to kill some process and when you look at the list, you dont know what service you kill. You have to look in google to find out, because the apps runs maybe dozen other background services with strange names and abreviatures. Its just so annoing, that I want to cry sometimes.

But at the end it can do all and maybe more than the iOS but every time I have to deal with it, I just want to break it in peaces. The only reason Android has a huge marketshare is because it goes with a wide range of different handset for a different price. You can buy 90$ off-contract phone with the latest version of android and 10$ for montly data plan and you are good to go. This is the only good thing in Android I have seen so far and I have used all recen Android flaship phones out there. Android can do more, but dont do ANYTHING better. So ill stick with the iPhone for the near feature.

You lost me at two browsers. That's not android. That's some manufacturer's add on. My Nexus tablet and S4 each came with one browser.

On both phones I long press an app and throw it up the screen and it's deleted. Liking tasks is easy and can be done to individual tasks or all running at once. I don't think you've really used the latest flagship phones because you don't seem to know anything I figured out shortly after unboxing both devices.

Last edited:

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Yes. And that's why I said "as a rule of thumb". It's not always the case. Linux is more secure than Windows or OS X etc. But one cannot use this argument to say Android is more secure simply because it's open. Android and iOS differ in way too many ways involving security. So open vs closed is not the sole focus here.

Linux more secure? Well I both agree, and disagree to that statement.

The main reason for their perceived security, is more due to the lack of mainstream users. Less users = less incentive for people attempting to game those systems to gain access to end user data. With less True hackers focusing on, and publishing exploits for those systems, there will also be much less script Kiddies involved with taking further advantage of those holes.

As MacOS continues to grow in popularity, it continues to be a more tempting target for people to game. While Linux too is growing in popularity, it is still far behind Windows, and MacOS installs at the home.

More on topic, The same is proving to be true for both iOS and Android. Mobile phone OS's are becoming prime targets, mostly due to the ways people use them. On one device, you have tons of PII, with minimal or no security countermeasures being used by general consumers, and in some cases, developers.

JupiterDoc

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2012
I wish to point out a TUAW article 8/26/2013 that says US Govt. finds 0.7% of all mobile malware affects iOS, while Android accounts for 79%

I also noted that this article was not written or approved by Eric Schmidt.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I love how the ability to install third party apps makes android's security poor. Let's conveniently forget that one must go relatively deep into settings to enable the feature and tap yes again after a warning.

So... OSX, Linux, windows, and basically every other OS must be less secure than iOS.

Let's also forget about the many jailbreaks of iOS past and future. Talk has started earlier than usual re jailbreaking progress of iOS 7 this time around.

Last edited:

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
If the iPhone just works works works - why are there books on how to use them.

Publishers have to make money somehow... You want to kill off the impulse buy industry? I bought a small thin book on Siri, and promptly lost it. They got my money anyway... :rolleyes:

Why so many people lined up at the Genius bar and classes at the Apple store on how to set a phone up/use it?

Some of it is because people love the commotion... A large part of it is people that do really stupid stuff to their computers, iPads, and iPhones. (Don't forget that the Genius Bar serves the entire Apple product line, and people sometimes end up buying things there too) When I was at the genius bar in Manhattan, the woman beside me dropped her iPhone and cracked the screen. A guy dropped his iPhone in a toilet. A young woman spilled an entire can of Diet Coke (as if the brand made a difference?) on her MacBook Air. Another businessy looking guy just bought a new iPhone and the vibrate motor didn't work. It's not all people not able to understand the technology...

Have you used Android in the least year - or are you living in 2007? I'm asking seriously.

Why would I use an Android phone when I'm happy with my iPhone? Judging by the comments made by people that I hear, I wouldn't want to step down to the Android anyway... I get so many people telling me that their 'next phone is going to be an iPhone'. I've heard only a very few say they will dump the iPhone for an Android one.:apple:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Some of it is because people love the commotion... A large part of it is people that do really stupid stuff to their computers, iPads, and iPhones. (Don't forget that the Genius Bar serves the entire Apple product line, and people sometimes end up buying things there too) When I was at the genius bar in Manhattan, the woman beside me dropped her iPhone and cracked the screen. A guy dropped his iPhone in a toilet. A young woman spilled an entire can of Diet Coke (as if the brand made a difference?) on her MacBook Air. Another businessy looking guy just bought a new iPhone and the vibrate motor didn't work. It's not all people not able to understand the technology...

Why would I use an Android phone when I'm happy with my iPhone? Judging by the comments made by people that I hear, I wouldn't want to step down to the Android anyway... I get so many people telling me that their 'next phone is going to be an iPhone'. I've heard only a very few say they will dump the iPhone for an Android one.:apple:

1. Wasn't commenting on the other reasons people go to the genius bar or other classes offer. I was pointing to the fact that many people DO go to the GB for basic help on how to use their phone. And there are classes at the stores to teach basic usage.

2. So your comments about Android aren't based on actual usage. Got it. Doesn't exactly make you "qualified" to offer commentary as "fact" now does it?

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Linux more secure? Well I both agree, and disagree to that statement.

The main reason for their perceived security, is more due to the lack of mainstream users. Less users = less incentive for people attempting to game those systems to gain access to end user data. With less True hackers focusing on, and publishing exploits for those systems, there will also be much less script Kiddies involved with taking further advantage of those holes.

As MacOS continues to grow in popularity, it continues to be a more tempting target for people to game. While Linux too is growing in popularity, it is still far behind Windows, and MacOS installs at the home.

More on topic, The same is proving to be true for both iOS and Android. Mobile phone OS's are becoming prime targets, mostly due to the ways people use them. On one device, you have tons of PII, with minimal or no security countermeasures being used by general consumers, and in some cases, developers.

Not at all. Many high security databases like bank servers run linux or other open source UNIX systems all around the world. So it's a great incentive for hackers to hack linux. So the best hackers probably would be focusing on hacking linux.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Not at all. Many high security databases like bank servers run linux or other open source UNIX systems all around the world. So it's a great incentive for hackers to hack linux. So the best hackers probably would be focusing on hacking linux.

Those systems are also sitting behind advanced firewalls, load balancers, intrusion detection devices, packet shapers, and quite a few other network security appliances the average home and mobile user won't have. I would argue the overall bank, and large corporation system security is more to do with their Networks, Physical security of their datacenters, and trained Security staff, more than the OS they choose to run their environment on.

In the end, I see your point, but I respectfully still disagree, and pending your final response, will leave it at that. :)

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
1. Wasn't commenting on the other reasons people go to the genius bar or other classes offer. I was pointing to the fact that many people DO go to the GB for basic help on how to use their phone. And there are classes at the stores to teach basic usage.

So. I've got in, in the beginning, with a few questions. Asking questions doesn't mean a product is bad. Getting solutions is important though.

2. So your comments about Android aren't based on actual usage. Got it. Doesn't exactly make you "qualified" to offer commentary as "fact" now does it?

THE day that I got my 5, I went to a party that night and whipped it out to check something (email, or something) and had several people come over to look at it. Questions, and more questions... Most of them were Android users, and most of them said that they were going to get an iPhone when they could swap their phones. Then I started hearing about the issues some of them had with their phones. I had thought of getting a Droid phone for an app (Google Sky? Can't remember the name right now) but after waiting for a while thinking about it, the phone I was looking at was discontinued, and ended up being a pariah because of some flaw or something. Then I found a bunch of astronomy apps for iOS.

Carping at me because I haven't had an Android device isn't exactly cool. This isn't like talking about cereal or keyboards... I don't want to go out and buy an Android phone to try out, and then have its resale value tank and be stuck with yet another POS phone, just to get a look at how green the grass might be on the other side of the fence.

If people are happy with their Android devices, cool. I like my iPhone and iPads. I'm glad there is a choice. My comments have been based on all of the other comments from friends and acquaintances who honestly hate their Android phones. The degree of dislike for the iPhone is not nearly that high, from my limited experience.

But good for you... You love Android phones... I'm happy for you...

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
So. I've got in, in the beginning, with a few questions. Asking questions doesn't mean a product is bad. Getting solutions is important though.

THE day that I got my 5, I went to a party that night and whipped it out to check something (email, or something) and had several people come over to look at it. Questions, and more questions... Most of them were Android users, and most of them said that they were going to get an iPhone when they could swap their phones. Then I started hearing about the issues some of them had with their phones. I had thought of getting a Droid phone for an app (Google Sky? Can't remember the name right now) but after waiting for a while thinking about it, the phone I was looking at was discontinued, and ended up being a pariah because of some flaw or something. Then I found a bunch of astronomy apps for iOS.

Carping at me because I haven't had an Android device isn't exactly cool. This isn't like talking about cereal or keyboards... I don't want to go out and buy an Android phone to try out, and then have its resale value tank and be stuck with yet another POS phone, just to get a look at how green the grass might be on the other side of the fence.

If people are happy with their Android devices, cool. I like my iPhone and iPads. I'm glad there is a choice. My comments have been based on all of the other comments from friends and acquaintances who honestly hate their Android phones. The degree of dislike for the iPhone is not nearly that high, from my limited experience.

I never said iOS or the iPhone was bad. My point is nothing "just works" - there's a learning curve no matter how easy things are.

And my point about not using one was in defense of the fact that some of the things you stated about Android are simply not true. But you didn't say anything like "I've heard" or "I may be wrong but..." - you (my interpretation) passed of some things as facts when they weren't. That's my objection.

Like you - I don't care what other people use. I use the devices that work best for me. I have iPhones, iPads, iMacs, MacBook Pros, AppleTVs, a Samsung S4 and a Nexus 7 and a Roku. Every one of the devices have their strengths and weaknesses. Not sure I would every state I "love" anything in the general sense (IE - I love all Android phones. I love all of iOS. I love...."

And I have friends with both iOS and Android devices that hate them respectively and can't wait to switch. Note I said both platforms. There are people who hate (not me) iOS and can't wait to switch. It definitely goes both ways. How extreme and how many I have no idea. But that's my experience.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
"Many" Android phones work great out of the box? Sounds awesome, where do I sign up??

Sarcasm noted. Is that all you have to add to the conversation. If you really don't think the latest offerings from Samsung, Motorola, HTC, etc work great out of the box, then you're in deep deep denial.

Shin3r

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2007
I agree with part of your post in regards to savvy-ness, etc, I was just trying to use very general terms. I would say you're the exception, honestly.

I think it all depends on how you look at the numbers. Android sells more phones if you count all manufacturers. Within all the people that I know I would say that there are just as many non-tech savvy Android users based on sheer number alone.

Of course if you narrow down the count to only tech savvy users then I would probably agree with you, but not because people are tech savvy users in the first place. I believe that the real reason has a lot to do with how people view Apple's and Google's business models. Many people don't like the "walled garden" approach. And while I personally don't feel either model is wrong, many people prefer the choice to change what they don't like about how their phone works. The more open system of Android allows for this while Apple doesn't. I like the iPhone because it fits my needs so that's why it doesn't bother me. So I would argue that you can find correlation with tech savvy users, but not causation.

Edit...I also think screen size may also play a role for many of these people.

Last edited:

kunai

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2013
Apple deniers in full force but as a dev he is right. The only time security becomes an issue with android is with custom roms kernels and radios.

iOS just can't be customized at all. Most stock roms on android are super secure, very similar to iOS.

iOS is designed primarily for the average non Savvy user but that's fine it's a good OS for day to day tasks.

It probably is pretty secure as an operating system, but to say it's MORE secure than iOS is just shooting yourself in the foot from a PR standpoint.

----------

The problem that people have with Android is that it's not like iOS. This is the wrong way to look at it.

It's the same argument we've been using against Windows users for a decade now, and it oughta stop. Somebody goes out and buys a poorly-made Chinese Android phone, and buys an iPhone, and then evangelizes the iPhone for being much better.

Of course it's much better, it's five times the price.

Buy a Nexus device from Google if you want a good Android experience, or some top offerings from Motorola. The Moto X is fantastic and EVERYTHING works. Quality of apps has gone up greatly from the days of old. The Nexus 4 is a beast of a smartphone in a tuxedo, but the shorter battery life may be a turnoff to few.

The point is, you can't compare Apples to oranges. Compare Apples to Good Android Devices.

Only then is your argument logical and proofed.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
I consider myself a tech guy. However, I frequently get lost in the Settings menu of Android phone. There is no order in this operating system. The fact that it comes with two browsers out of the box is a simple example. People dont ****ing care what browser they will use. They want just fast and intuitive browsing experiance. The same applies for mail clients, notes apps and more. Out of the box, Android comes with three pages of apps, most of them useless for most of the users. And then you have Google store or whatever it is called. Several times I had download different free apps that in two hours just block my phone with notifications and ads. And then I spend 30 min. searching how to disable the damn notification which force me to delete the app, which isnt easy task if you are new to the Android OS. In OS you just hold your finger on the app icon and press the X, thats it, its gone. The battery performace and task manager isnt that perfect also. I have to enter a separate app icon just to kill some process and when you look at the list, you dont know what service you kill. You have to look in google to find out, because the apps runs maybe dozen other background services with strange names and abreviatures. Its just so annoing, that I want to cry sometimes.

But at the end it can do all and maybe more than the iOS but every time I have to deal with it, I just want to break it in peaces. The only reason Android has a huge marketshare is because it goes with a wide range of different handset for a different price. You can buy 90$ off-contract phone with the latest version of android and 10$ for montly data plan and you are good to go. This is the only good thing in Android I have seen so far and I have used all recen Android flaship phones out there. Android can do more, but dont do ANYTHING better. So ill stick with the iPhone for the near feature.

I started to lose interest at that, however I did continue to read your post and came to the conclusion that you have no idea what your talking about!

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
I'm by no means an expert, but because Android is a open platform, naturally it'll be at the cost of some security.

But as an Android user, I appreciate some of the things that can only be done on the Android platform because it is open.

It must be said though, I'd say Android can certainly be as secure as iOS provided users take some precaution's and download primarily from the play store.

But there is no doubt that in theory and probably even in real world scenario iOS may be the more secure platform at this time.

So "it's great, it's open, you can side-load apps from web sites" and "as long as you buy apps from the App Store" are two statements you don't see as contradictory?

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
So "it's great, it's open, you can side-load apps from web sites" and "as long as you buy apps from the App Store" are two statements you don't see as contradictory?

The OP has not said "as long as you buy apps from the App Store"

Last edited:

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012

Actually he is wrong, which is why the whole crowd was laughing, just about all those exploits have been patched on iOS, 79% of malware targets Android and less then 1% targets iOS

Google has absolutely no control over Android in China and millions of people in China have had there personal information stolen from them through their phone because of Android

JupiterDoc

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2012
Actually he is wrong, which is why the whole crowd was laughing, just about all those exploits have been patched on iOS, 79% of malware targets Android and less then 1% targets iOS

Google has absolutely no control over Android in China and millions of people in China have had there personal information stolen from them through their phone because of Android

iOS is safer than Android!

kdarling

macrumors P6
Most anti-virus reports are simply ads for an AV maker

If you read the reports from these anti-virus companies which claim headlines like "79% of malware is on Android", you'd discover that at least half of the "malware" falls into two common categories: ad info collection (which every phone OS has) and intentional monitoring software.

--

For example, these scare tactic reports often include "malware" like the version called "TheftAware.A". But if you actually read the details of that "malware":

"TheftAware.A is a commercial monitoring tool that helps the user to locate a stolen or a missing device. It allows the user to obtain the device’s GPS location, lock it, and delete data by issuing commands through SMS messages. "

Wait. What? You mean they count as "malware", apps that you intentionally install so you can do a remote wipe? Yes, they do.

(Ironically, the well respected source company (Theft Aware) of that particular "malware" was bought by an anti-virus maker to become one of its suite of tools.)

--

There are a lot of bogus examples like that one. It'd be helpful if these companies spent less time trying to come up with scary numbers to justify their own existence, and reported only on real threats.

It'd also be helpful if people didn't just blindly repeat headlines they read on the internet.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.