Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yiveymacnod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2020
I have an iPad Pro 12.9” (4th gen.) and use it with a Magic Keyboard. In previous versions of iPadOS, there was a system-wide setting that cmd+ “.” replaced ESC. This is because the keyboard for some stupid reason lacks such a key…

The problem is that after updating to iPadOS 17, this command no longer works.
I use it mainly when typing since that’s the only way I know of to not use the suggested word with autocorrect, except off course using the mouse or finger to click on the “x”.

r/iPadPro - ESC (cmd+”.”) on the Magic Keyboard with iPad Pro in the new iPadOS 17?
I have been in contact with Apple Support and even senior support over the phone. None of them can answer the question of whether cmd+ “.” still functions as ESC in iPadOS 17, and senior support couldn’t guide me through screen sharing to find a solution. Yes, it is possible to map the function in accessibility settings, but that’s not how it’s supposed to work. Senior support said they would continue to investigate the issue on their own…
I’ve even tested to reset the iPad to factory settings and setting it up like a new one. Still doesn’t work, so I reverted back to my backup again.
Updated to iPadOS 17.0.1 today also and no bueno…

So the question is, for those of you who that have an iPad Pro with a Magic Keyboard and have updated to iPadOS 17, does cmd+ “.” work for you as ESC?”

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
I don’t think that ever worked for anything other than taking videos out of full screen.

Never functioned as an escape alternative for me, anyway.

Yiveymacnod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2020
I don’t think that ever worked for anything other than taking videos out of full screen.

Never functioned as an escape alternative for me, anyway.
Sure it did. I used it all the time. And it‘s been a known solution. https://9to5mac.com/2020/04/23/ipad-pro-magic-keyboard-escape-key/
It’s super annoying having autocorrect suggest something and not being able to opt out of the suggestion other than pressing the “x” with your finger or the mouse.

I’ve tested to change CAPS LOCK into ESC (Settings -> General -> Keyboard -> Hardware Keyboard -> Modifier Keys) but that doesn’t work either. It’s like ESC function doesn’t exist anymore in iPadOS 17.

I’ll have to pair a normal BT key to the iPad and see if it works with that..

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
It looks like you’re kind of right. I just tried CMD + . instead of the Esc key in an app I know has Escape key functions. In this case, it’s Shadow PC (a cloud Windows PC). The Escape key in Shadow would normally hit that Escape button in whatever application you have running on Shadow, I have a game running in it. It also unlocks the iPad’s cursor from Shadow - so instead of controlling the Windows cursor, it’ll go back to the iPad’s weird circle cursor.

My modified key to act like Escape, I set up with Caps Lock. Hitting my Caps Lock/Esc key, sends the Escape command to Shadow PC, pausing the game and unlocking the cursor. However, CMD + . only unlocks the cursor without sending the Escape command.

Either way, it’s working as it used to for me within iPadOS 17. I’m not too sure what’s going on in your end. Is there a specific app you’re trying to use? Maybe I can download it and try it out.

Yiveymacnod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 5, 2020
It looks like you’re kind of right. I just tried CMD + . instead of the Esc key in an app I know has Escape key functions. In this case, it’s Shadow PC (a cloud Windows PC). The Escape key in Shadow would normally hit that Escape button in whatever application you have running on Shadow, I have a game running in it. It also unlocks the iPad’s cursor from Shadow - so instead of controlling the Windows cursor, it’ll go back to the iPad’s weird circle cursor.

My modified key to act like Escape, I set up with Caps Lock. Hitting my Caps Lock/Esc key, sends the Escape command to Shadow PC, pausing the game and unlocking the cursor. However, CMD + . only unlocks the cursor without sending the Escape command.

Either way, it’s working as it used to for me within iPadOS 17. I’m not too sure what’s going on in your end. Is there a specific app you’re trying to use? Maybe I can download it and try it out.
Yeah, but it’s not app specific. It’s whenever you’re writing something and autocorrect is suggesting something, like the screenshot in my first post. In that situation nothing works, neither cmd+”.” like I’ve used before, nor the modified caps lock.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
I’ve sold my Pro but when I had it, I had the Globe key set up as “Esc.” I think there’s something in Settings to do that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.