Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I'm back home after a week of travel, and my first pull tastes soooo good this morning---even though my beans are old.

:D

'Old', like any other measure of time, is such a relative - and even, subjective - concept………one that is relative to time, space, location, distance, age……….personal energy reserves available…..

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
It's been a few days since we've posted! Today's workflow keeps on being extraordinary with a carefully brewed french press and a couple of organic cookies on the side :p

COffee.jpg

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
It's been a few days since we've posted! Today's workflow keeps on being extraordinary with a carefully brewed french press and a couple of organic cookies on the side :p

Looks good!

I don't know what it is this late afternoon, but I'm on my second cup of coffee right now. I don't normally have any coffee in the evenings, let alone two!

Either it's because it's been 32℉ all day or I just really like the taste!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Looks good!

I don't know what it is this late afternoon, but I'm on my second cup of coffee right now. I don't normally have any coffee in the evenings, let alone two!

Either it's because it's been 32℉ all day or I just really like the taste!

Enjoy.

There is nothing like a cup (mug?) of rich, robust, aromatic, flavoursome (and hot) coffee to keep out the incipient cold of what is promising to be a bleak, frigid (and interminably long) winter.

Unless, that is, a mug of hot chocolate (the real, cocoa chocolate….not the feeble, fraudulent, sugar filled impostors...) awaits you, sitting, invitingly, gently steaming, with its own inimitable take on the concept of an enticing crema, on a coaster beside your cat/book/iPod…….comfortably near to hand within arm's reach from the sofa….

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Enjoy.

There is nothing like a cup (mug?) of rich, robust, aromatic, flavoursome (and hot) coffee to keep out the incipient cold of what is promising to be a bleak, frigid (and interminably long) winter.

Unless, that is, a mug of hot chocolate (the real, cocoa chocolate….not the feeble, fraudulent, sugar filled impostors...) awaits you, sitting, invitingly, gently steaming, with its own inimitable take on the concept of an enticing crema, on a coaster beside your cat/book/iPod…….comfortably near to hand within arm's reach from the sofa….

Well then, this sounds like a lovely Thursday afternoon alternative to the choice caffeinated beverage. I may have to buy some things but it seems like it would be great photo.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well then, this sounds like a lovely Thursday afternoon alternative to the choice caffeinated beverage. I may have to buy some things but it seems like it would be great photo.

It is, believe me. I'd take one myself, but (alack, and alas), I regret to report that I am still using film……in a seriously good camera, mind you…..

However, for what it is worth, my hot chocolate intake is bordered - quite strictly - by the calendar. This is not a summer drink.

Thus, this means that I will have (drink, sip, savour, consume, drink, drain…and er, um, swallow) a cup/mug of (seriously good - my hot chocolate preferences are every bit as demanding as my wine, beer, coffee, cognac preferences - i.e. only the best will suffice…) hot chocolate only between the First of November and the middle of March……….

But, betwixt and between those dates, on a foul, lashing rain, cold, wet, windy, - the sort of wind where the sheets of drizzle and sleet are horizontal, not vertical - miserable, day, the skies are lowering, dark, and leaden, and the sort of day when welcoming fires are lit in pubs, (lovely, cosy, nooks & cranny pubs going back to the seventeenth century), and pub snugs live up to their welcoming name and reputation, a mug of hot chocolate - in a pub - on a dark - early dark afternoon, nothing, but nothing, beats a creamy (none of this silly, pseudo healthy skimmed milk nonsense, I want whole milk and double cream in my hot chocolate) mug of steaming - crema frothing with solid gluttonous glee - hot chocolate….

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
It is, believe me. I'd take one myself, but (alack, and alas), I regret to report that I am still using film……in a seriously good camera, mind you…..

However, for what it is worth, my hot chocolate intake is bordered - quite strictly - by the calendar. This is not a summer drink.

Thus, this means that I will have (drink, sip, savour, consume, drink, drain…and er, um, swallow) a cup/mug of (seriously good - my hot chocolate preferences are every bit as demanding as my wine, beer, coffee, cognac preferences - i.e. only the best will suffice…) hot chocolate only between the First of November and the middle of March……….

But, betwixt and between those dates, on a foul, lashing rain, cold, wet, windy, - the sort of wind where the sheets of drizzle and sleet are horizontal, not vertical - miserable, day, the skies are lowering, dark, and leaden, and the sort of day when welcoming fires are lit in pubs, (lovely, cosy, nooks & cranny pubs going back to the seventeenth century), and pub snugs live up to their welcoming name and reputation, a mug of hot chocolate - in a pub - on a dark - early dark afternoon, nothing, but nothing, beats a creamy (none of this silly, pseudo healthy skimmed milk nonsense, I want whole milk and double cream in my hot chocolate) mug of steaming - crema frothing with solid gluttonous glee - hot chocolate….

After reading this well put together description I have reconsidered tomorrow's hot chocolate jamboree. Although we are dipping into the sub zero temperatures tomorrow, I envision a late afternoon hot chocolate around 4 pm as darkness prematurely sets in on a snowy weeknight. I may need a few weeks to come across the perfect ingredients.

Although the scenic pub hot chocolate would be a nice photo for this thread especially with a seriously good camera!

Kurwenal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2012
I would bet that this was his first cup of fresh coffee he's had in maybe 35 or 40 years! I say that because he may have had freshly brewed coffee at his parents house back then.

Excellent.

Fresh is fresh. It is always fun to serve someone fresh coffee, and then watch the light go on when you ask whether they prefer a fresh tomato or a stale one.

I'm back home after a week of travel, and my first pull tastes soooo good this morning---even though my beans are old.

:D

I suspect your "old" is still fresher than anything sold (ever) at a chain.

'Old', like any other measure of time, is such a relative - and even, subjective - concept………one that is relative to time, space, location, distance, age……….personal energy reserves available…..

True, true, although I soon, on a certain date, will have to admit to myself that I am, by any measure, old.....but I'm ok with that.

lparsons21

macrumors 6502
Jun 3, 2014
Southern Illinois
It has been fun reading here though I don't post much.

I'm always thrilled when I see others response to my coffee when they come here. While mine is rather mundane, it is freshly roasted and usually less than a week old. I roast all my own and have a few roasters collected over the years. Each has their own uniqueness in the cup.

Coffee at my house always starts at the espresso machine. Most of the time friends prefer Americanos though some like the milky drinks too. My preference runs to Americanos and Café Cremas, never cared for straight shots of espresso.

Currently I have 2 espresso machines (don't ask why!), one is about 8 years old and is the Izzo Alex HX machine, the other was bought less than a year ago and is the Breville Double Boiler. Both do a wonderful job of it.

You guys keep posting, I'll keep reading!! :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Excellent.

Fresh is fresh. It is always fun to serve someone fresh coffee, and then watch the light go on when you ask whether they prefer a fresh tomato or a stale one.

True, true, although I soon, on a certain date, will have to admit to myself that I am, by any measure, old.....but I'm ok with that.

Well, as an historian by profession, I'll admit to a certain preference for some things (such as some buildings, wine, cognac, port) that come with the adjective 'old' (as in venerable, aged, mature…..)

Today, I opened yet another offering from Intelligentsia. Now, I like the idea of their seasonal offerings - this allows them to offer a totally new product, in a new area, one that allows different individuals to experiment and a form of business model that helps to spread the benefits of the largesse. Besides, it encourages people such as myself to move beyond the tried and true, the stuff we know that we like.

However, my habit is to buy just one packet of each of these new seasonal offerings; this is because I find that I do not like them all equally well.

Today's coffee is called 'Fincha Chelin Limited Release' and comes from Mexico. The tasting notes describe it as 'hot cider and cocoa nibs with the smoothness of almond butter'. I would describe it as bright and clean, and not as smooth, full, rich or as sweet as I normally like; it is also lighter than I usually prefer, hence, I shall have to adjust the amount of coffee (upwards) for my next cup.

Last edited:

Kurwenal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2012
Currently I have 2 espresso machines (don't ask why!),

In this thread, friend, no one would ever question the need for two machines. Instead, though, you might get a question about why not three or four.....

Today's coffee is called 'Fincha Chelin Limited Release' and comes from Mexico. The tasting notes describe it as 'hot cider and cocoa nibs with the smoothness of almond butter'. I would describe it as bright and clean, and not as smooth, full, rich or as sweet as I normally like; it is also lighter than I usually prefer, hence, I shall have to adjust the amount of coffee (upwards) for my next cup.

I have virtually no experience with coffee from Mexico, despite the fact that I can drive there in less time than it takes to upgrade an iPhone. Well, "there" is the parts that for the most part you don't want to go, and I doubt there is any coffee there.

Almond is not typically a taste I associate with good coffee. I hope the second cup was better.

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene

Quite right, my friend.

By the way, I've been roasting my way through the Ethiopiques, and it really is delightful espresso (and right up my alley). You've known for a while now that I'm really into the bright and juicy Ethiopian drips, and so it should come as no surprise that I'm really enamored of this espresso blend. Cheers again for the recommendation!

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
In this thread, friend, no one would ever question the need for two machines. Instead, though, you might get a question about why not three or four.....

I have virtually no experience with coffee from Mexico, despite the fact that I can drive there in less time than it takes to upgrade an iPhone. Well, "there" is the parts that for the most part you don't want to go, and I doubt there is any coffee there.

Almond is not typically a taste I associate with good coffee. I hope the second cup was better.

Yes, the second cup (also consumed yesterday) was somewhat better, while the one consumed this morning was better again. This is because I remembered to remind myself to put in an extra dessertspoonful - or more - of coffee than I would normally; that dealt with the question of 'too light', or rather, insufficiently strong....

Well, okay. It is not my favourite, nor is it one I would see myself ordering again. As you have so correctly pointed out, one does not normally associate the country of Mexico with outstandingly good coffee; well, that is an association I shall not attempt to make - not just yet.

Now, it is perfectly okay coffee - just not what I would wax eloquent about. Having said that, it is always nice to try out new varieties - otherwise, one sticks with the tried and tested and, above all, the safe and known. One must risk one's taste buds occasionally……..all in the interests of research, of course, while simultaneously satisfying curiosity.

Quite right, my friend.

By the way, I've been roasting my way through the Ethiopiques, and it really is delightful espresso (and right up my alley). You've known for a while now that I'm really into the bright and juicy Ethiopian drips, and so it should come as no surprise that I'm really enamored of this espresso blend. Cheers again for the recommendation!

That does sound interesting.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
On a coffee related topic, but I already posted a bit about these in the 'What Did You Buy Today' thread:

Today, on a whim, in a small antiques shop, when I was putting (more) money on a number of items I have put aside, I bought six, small, solid silver espresso spoons. They all sported a little knob in the shape of a coffee bean at the top of the spoon handle, on the opposite end from the bowl of the spoon.

Indeed, as my friends on this thread well know, these are not the first espresso coffee spoons of this type, nor from this era, that I have bought. Oddly enough, a number of these sets - in (solid) sterling silver (rather than silver plated) have come my way, in recent weeks, and I rather like them. Anyway, the style is classical Art Deco.

Today's purchase were a mismatched set, a fact which only became clear on closer examination - two of the little spoons dated from 1931, and the remaining four, wonderfully (and I was shown the books with the respective assayed hallmarks to confirm the date and place in question) dated from 1914, which is pretty - actually, very - early in the Art Deco era. Only when peering closely could one see that the bowls of the spoons from the two different sets were not entirely identical, whereas, at first glance, one simply would have thought that this was a set of six spoons.

While all of the other sets of solid silver little Art Deco espresso spoons - complete with decorative coffee bean - that I bought in recent weeks came in nice little cases, (including the lovely one I bought in London two months ago, which I got dated today - 1928 according to its identifying hallmark), these orphaned spoons - clearly, the remnants of two sets subsequently merged, didn't.

Instead, they looked as though they had lived life, quite a bit, and they looked very much as though they had not spent their entire lives nestled in an elegant little case, but had been taken out, used, and, as is inevitable in such instances, maybe the little coffee bean had been irredeemably broken on one or two spoons, or one or two were possibly misplaced or even lost. Hence, two merged sets. I was charmed.

Anyway, I bought them, and, wrapped in tissue paper, they went - first into my coat pocket, and, after some thought, into my briefcase. If a small case materialises, fine (and the vendor promised to try to source one); if not, no problem, I shall use these spoons anyway.

I rather like the idea of using a spoon that is a century old - an ever so slightly battered, clearly not brand new, solid silver espresso spoon, to stir a morning cup of espresso.

Last edited:

Kurwenal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2012

Excellent. Glad you like it. It certainly is bright. One of my favorites, ever since it was introduced in SM's Workshop series. Buy it up while you can.

Instead, they looked as though they had lived life, quite a bit, and they looked very much as though they had not spent their entire lives nestled in an elegant little case, but had been taken out, used, and, as is inevitable in such instances, maybe the little coffee bean had been irredeemably broken on one or two spoons, or one or two were possibly misplaced or even lost. Hence, two merged sets. I was charmed.

Oh, the stories they could tell.....

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Excellent. Glad you like it. It certainly is bright. One of my favorites, ever since it was introduced in SM's Workshop series. Buy it up while you can.

Oh, the stories they could tell.....

Indeed. I'm looking at them, now, as I write this, and inspecting them. If I had a digital camera I would post a picture of them; in fact, I was surprised at the date - 1914 really is right at the beginning of the Art Deco period.

In fact, they are lovely spoons, the hallmark clearly legible, and the small bowls almost circular; they look in excellent condition, but nobody would mistake them for new.

Two of the four have a very small crack, or sign of some wear-and-tear in the coffee-bean shaped knob on top of the spoon, and the uncracked coffee bean in a third is facing the wrong way around, which is also the case with one of the two spoons with slightly cracked coffee beans.

Most definitely, they have stories to tell, if they could talk; certainly, they have the slightly raffish look which suggests that they are spoons with character.

By way of contrast, their two comrades from 1931 look almost pristine and embarrassingly well behaved; they come with a slightly more oblong (and slightly more elegant) bowl, and exquisite (and slightly larger) coffee bean shaped knobs, perfectly placed and securely set.

Last edited:

Kurwenal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2012
Indeed. I'm looking at them, now, as I write this, and inspecting them. If I had a digital camera I would post a picture of them; in fact, I was surprised at the date - 1914 really is right at the beginning of the Art Deco period.

In fact, they are lovely spoons, the hallmark clearly legible, and the small bowls almost circular; they look in excellent condition, but nobody would mistake them for new.

Two of the four have a very small crack, or sign of some wear-and-tear in the coffee-bean shaped knob on top of the spoon, and the uncracked coffee bean in a third is facing the wrong way around, which is also the case with one of the two spoons with slightly cracked coffee beans.

Most definitely, they have stories to tell, if they could talk; certainly, they have the slightly raffish look which suggest that they are spoons with character.

By contrast, their two comrades from 1931 look almost pristine and embarrassingly well behaved; they come with a slightly more oblong (and slightly more elegant) bowl, and exquisite (and slightly larger) coffee bean shaped knobs, perfectly placed and securely set.

With that wonderful description, dear Scepticalscribe, I am tempted to FedEx you a digital camera.....

How many spoons, overall and roughly, do you have at this point?

Kurwenal

PS: I am considering trying tea again. I have pursued this many times over the years. It has never lasted longer than two or three days.

Coffee or tea?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
With that wonderful description, dear Scepticalscribe, I am tempted to FedEx you a digital camera.....

How many spoons, overall and roughly, do you have at this point?

Kurwenal

PS: I am considering trying tea again. I have pursued this many times over the years. It has never lasted longer than two or three days.

Coffee or tea?

Ah, spoons. Well.

My camera is an old film camera - a Leica M6. Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner. And I have never used a digital camera, and have therefore never worked out how they work. Some day...

While I bought the camera body itself over two years ago, I only managed to add two standard (Summicron) lenses last year. More recently, I added a few fast (two Summilux) lenses, which are superb. Moreover, and this was pure indulgence, - but one needs fast lenses especially in the light deprived conditions of northern Europe in winter - an opportunity arose to buy a Noctilux; I took it, although I have yet to use it. However, circumstances allowed for those sort of purchases, but, needless to say, I didn't dare take the camera with me to where I was working, so it stayed where it had been bought, nicely boxed, until I returned in late August.

In fact, the camera itself was only taken out and accompanied me - for the first time - when I went to the UK in late August and September; it takes terrific pictures, but it requires that the photographer think about what they are doing. I brought the two Summilux (35mm and 50 mm) lenses with me to the UK and loved the 35mm - it is a fantastic lens, the sort that allows you to take indoor shots in Gothic cathedrals without a flash and know that they will come out perfectly. So - with a lot of time (photos taken and developed, a scanner bought) and thought - a set of spoons might well be captured on film. The orphans are sitting beside me, reflecting me imperfectly and upside-down in their bowls as I sit at the keyboard, (the sun is shining), oddly enough.

So, as of now, I have two full, proper sets of six, six solid silver Art Deco spoons which came in little cases and were sold as sets.

And the orphans, as described above, which lack a case, but which I shall use daily. Can one describe them as a set? Anyway, they shall be used as one - they are too quirky, and characterful to be secreted away; they demand an active life by way of frequent use.

And, yes, I'll admit that there is yet another exquisite set of twelve Art Deco solid silver spoons, (complete with coffee bean) - simply gorgeous - which I spotted this past Monday, didn't examine too closely, but put aside in the shop, to be collected later, still nestled, tucked up nicely in their case. Deferred gratification, and all that. I bought them, though.

One - the first one, a lovely set - was bought in London two months ago (and described on these pages at that time). That one, as I learned only this week, when I sought information on the hallmark, dates to 1928.

The second set I bought with a view to presenting to our mutual friend - given his expressed reverence for Art Deco design and his well known love of espresso - when that can be arranged, or when he will be able to enjoy them.

They were sold as a set, and came in a nice little case; again, a set of six, solid silver, Art Deco espresso spoons, complete with coffee bean shaped knob at the other end from the bowl. The rear of the spoon is coloured - each spoon comes with a different shade.

Their little case had a small sticker which announced that they dated from 1933, so, when I dropped in this week, I just asked the shop (where I had bought them a few weeks ago) to confirm this.

Peering through a jeweller's eyepiece, book of hallmarks, years, dates and locations open on the counter, the chap who sold them to me was stupefied. In fact, while they are a genuine set of six - the same maker's mark is on all six, he explained and indicated where this was to be found in the set of hallmarks - they straddle years (some bearing marks from 1933 while others indicate a year of 1934) and locations (they are minted in two different locations). Fascinated, we examined each of the spoons.

By way of explanation, he suggested that in particular years only certain specific shades - say, the blue - would have been done for a set, that not all colours would have been manufactured each year. He amended the little note giving the provenance of the set accordingly, and apologised, saying that, obviously, only one of the spoons had been examined, not the set, before they had been sold to me.

Then, there are the orphans, which travelled home with me, also on Monday.

So, three sets (defining a 'set' loosely), two in cases, and my lovely orphans, and a further magnificent set of twelve, awaiting collection, which won't be for weeks and weeks. Forty, (solid silver, Art Deco espresso spoons complete with coffee bean knob) then, in total. Probably (it is) time to cry 'halt'.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Tea? Tea?

As a denizen who dwells or drops in on these threads, I am not at all a big tea drinker, and must admit I never really liked the stuff. Coffee - ever since childhood - has been my soft drink of choice. Indeed, while I come from a part of the world (the British Isles) that used to pride themselves on their tea cultures and consumption, I never developed a taste for it.

Actually, my brother hates to see me voluntarily drink tea, because he knows that it almost invariably means that I have lost my taste for coffee and am sickening for a nasty cold.

However, and but, but, but. In recent years, I have worked quite a bit in a few countries in central Asia, and there, I must say, to my utter astonishment, the tea served was usually actually something between excellent to superb. The quality of the tea leaves was generally outstanding (as it was most likely quite close to its source, obviously, and was probably a lot fresher than we are normally used to consuming - much the same rules as we already know to apply with coffee.)

In central Asia, I usually drank my tea black - and without sugar, and, found, to my surprise, that it was usually delicious. Sometimes, it was served with spices such as cardamon which I realised I really liked. Even the tea bags which one could buy were of an excellent quality.

So, if you must drink tea, I would suggest setting some of the same standards that many of us here would routinely attempt to apply to coffee. Source the tea carefully, and aim for freshness. If it has come (directly) from somewhere in central Asia, or the Indian sub-contintent, and is very fresh, and of a high quality, it can be an utter revelation.

Last edited:

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Drinking the Ethiopian Harrar right now, upped the temp on PID, 16.5g dose, yum. Was good as pour over too, but made an iced drink with a double shot and milk and ice, gets lost somewhat in milk but still smooth. The only "medium" blend I've had that really punches through milk, is Redline.

This was really good as pour over though, bright (in a good way) and smooth straight.

BenTrovato

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2012
Canada
Was running low on beans so I stopped in at Tim Horton's and picked up a bag of whole beans. Mmmmm

lol that's funny - today I was driving home for a 2 PM call and I wasn't going to have enough time to make a coffee at home so I hit the Timmy's drive-thru! It's not really that good but the experience of having a Tim Horton's cup makes up for it I guess? Hehe.. it's been a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.