Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Well, it looks stunning, absolutely gorgeous, and I am sure that you will enjoy the physical experience of simply using it and drinking from it.

Our absent friend is a strong believer in using quality products and appreciating beautiful and well designed objects in everyday life, as am I. Most of us cannot afford to insist on quality in every area of life, but I believe that one can immeasurably enhance one's quality of life by setting strict, (or decent) standards on the mundane objects that one handles on an everyday basis. They should be crafted with beauty, form and function in mind, and one should enjoy using them.

Life is too short to see it as a journey measured in terms of mere endurance, and I am strongly of the opinion that beauty and elegance in the small things help enhance one's appreciation of life.

In terms of coffee, drinking coffee (irrespective of whether it is espresso, cappuccino, standard café au lait) from a lovely cup, enhances the experience and one's enjoyment of the coffee. Likewise, if it is served in a nice pot, or made in a Le Creuset French Press, or with a proper Hario dripper, of Bialetti moka pot, or, or……

Taking the time to enjoy a good coffee - using good quality beans, made in an elegant, yet functional (as in, these methods deliver good coffee) manner, served with care and in lovely elegant cups, just makes for a nicer and more thoughtful experience all around.

Apart from the relatively poor quality of the coffee in question, this is the main reason I don't much care for Nespresso and similar products. They take the fun out of the ritual.

Now, even though I am not a morning person, I do like the ritual of pottering around preparing my coffee and juice. Indeed, even if I have nothing else for breakfast other than coffee and freshly squeezed juice, I will insist on ensuring that it is good coffee, and good juice, always served properly, although it may be consumed in a slight rush…...

Well said. I, too, am often one who will choose quality over economy even if it costs a little more, in most situations.

I try to live a life of relative minimalism and so the products I choose to buy must be of sufficient quality and provide me some level of gratifying experience as I use or consume them.

Undoubtedly, to those of us here, coffee and the pursuit of making quality coffee is of high importance and the products we choose to incorporate into its production fall under tremendous scrutiny.

I do have other ceramic mugs in addition to my regular double-walled glass mug, that either came with a set or were given to me, but I rarely use them. They're plain and boring to me and that is what I ran across as I looked around this afternoon - more plain and boring stuff. There were several I found that were either intriguing or interesting, but wasn't my, err, cup of tea, per se.

Then I saw this one and I was instantly in love with it. It is minimalistic, yet highly sophisticated and elegant. It may look plain to some, but it's simple design with the long slight broadening flow from the bottom to the top, where the yellow/golden design caps the lip is amazing. The slim and narrow gold lining at the bottom and on the edges of the handle are subtle and thus elegant and not overbearing and gaudy as some things made with gold can be. The white porcelain inside and out speaks to a certain purity of the design, its creator, and even the person holding it, sipping, in my case soon, purely made fresh, quality coffee.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
To go along with the new mug, I ordered some SO beans from Silver Bridge, where I ordered a blend from previously. Though, I suspect that I'll get the coffee long before the mug since the mug is in China and the coffee is in Ohio and I am in Michigan. ;)

Silver Bridge: Brazil SO
There are some really GREAT coffees from Brazil. We've carefully selected one of the best to offer you. You will often find a Brazilian coffee in blends and espressos, so the taste may feel comfortably familiar. We think it's fresh and invigorating; you can wake up morning after morning to this cup of coffee.
Screen Shot 2014-11-29 at 7.48.22 PM.png

Kurwenal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2012
Those look delicious and the cup look great too!

Thanks. I am playing with my basic espresso roasting recipe this weekend, with the goal of extending the time between first and second cracks as much as possible without stopping the roast. It's easy to dial down the heat and dial up the fans just after first crack, but going too far ruins the roast (at least for espresso). Have to get it just right......slow the roast but don't stop it.

Turns out this is much easier to do with Ethiopiques than LA. Just another reason to like The Big E.

However, my personal preference is still porcelain……I just like it better, aesthetically, and physically….

Each, to their own, however…..

For some reason, I habitually use porcelain for espresso but glass for ristrettos. No idea why. But, when testing, as this weekend, always glass.

Now I knew Apple products were good, but I didn't realise that can also make coffee!:D

If only! No doubt Apple would produce a terrific coffee maker, but I would not buy Rev 1....

I just ordered an absolutely beautiful and stunning porcelain mug from China, via eBay.

Oooh, very nice. Well done!

To go along with the new mug, I ordered some SO beans from Silver Bridge, where I ordered a blend from previously. Though, I suspect that I'll get the coffee long before the mug since the mug is in China and the coffee is in Ohio and I am in Michigan. ;)

Well, be sure to let us know how it tastes. From the description, it should be very nice in your FP.

Big Stevie

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2012
UK
These arrived today, I'm intrigued by the flavour description...

Brilliant tasting notes (and ones that explain what they think the coffee is like with examples that readers can relate to, rather than indulging in confusing and esoteric language which ultimately means little). I'm intrigued too; they are the sort of tasting notes that almost have you giggling, reading them.

However, with such graphically descriptive tasting notes, you must now let us know whether the coffee actually lives up to this wonderfully extravagant early promise…..

Whilst I can't personally relate the taste description to the actual taste, its definitely a very nice coffee. Maybe I have a malfunctioning palate? I often fail to recognise the difference in taste between certain beers etc, whist others rave over how different they taste. But as long as it tastes nice to me then I guess I shouldn't worry?

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thanks.

For some reason, I habitually use porcelain for espresso but glass for ristrettos. No idea why. But, when testing, as this weekend, always glass.

Well, be sure to let us know how it tastes. From the description, it should be very nice in your FP.

Ah, yes. I had you down as someone who would habitually use porcelain……(as I am myself).

Now, for tasting notes, well, that is perfectly understandable……..

It is just not what I would use on a daily basis for everyday drinking….

Whilst I can't personally relate the taste description to the actual taste, its definitely a very nice coffee. Maybe I have a malfunctioning palate? I often fail to recognise the difference in taste between certain beers etc, whist others rave over how different they taste. But as long as it tastes nice to me then I guess I shouldn't worry?

Well, as Shrink's Law stipulates, if you like it that is what matters and that is fine…...

----------

If only! No doubt Apple would produce a terrific coffee maker, but I would not buy Rev 1....

Neither would I; in fact, I would not be classed as a neurotically early adopter. Rather, I am a big believer in allowing the innovator/inventor/creator/manufacturer sufficient time (usually a matter of a few months) to iron out, tease out, identify and remedy any and all such faults, or teething problems, before investing in the product……while I greatly admire innovation, I see no reason to audition for the role of guinea pig for the finished product before it is fit to be launched or unleashed upon the general public.

----------

Turns out this is much easier to do with Ethiopiques than LA. Just another reason to like The Big E.

For me, the coffee revelation of the past week has been the Ethiopian Yirgacheffe; until the evening I was served coffee in the Chemex, (itself also a revelation) I had never had an Ethiopian coffee before (despite knowing that they were supposedly excellent), and it was - to my utterly delighted stupefaction - quite superb.

Roll on, Ethiopia - this is a coffee, or a region, I shall happily sample much more coffee from.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Well, my Ethiopian (Yirgacheffe) coffee is finished, and yes, I will happily revisit it when opportunity permits.

So, as of this morning, it was back to Los Immortales from El Salvador (which I know I love, so what greeted me is the pleasure of being reunited with the familiar - if reassuring - taste - of an excellent coffee rather than being bowled over by the blinking joy of stunned discovery when sampling something new, but utterly wonderful and previously unknown….).

SBG: I am surprised that none of us have remarked on your new (and very attractive not to mention entirely apposite) avatar. I meant to pass a comment a few days ago, when I first noticed it, but it slipped my mind…..

Anyway, it strikes me as being entirely fitting. And it is a lovely image….

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Well, my Ethiopian (Yirgacheffe) coffee is finished, and yes, I will happily revisit it when opportunity permits.

So, as of this morning, it was back to Los Immortales from El Salvador (which I know I love, so what greeted me is the pleasure of being reunited with the familiar - if reassuring - taste - of an excellent coffee rather than being bowled over by the blinking joy of stunned discovery when sampling something new, but utterly wonderful and previously unknown….).

SBG: I am surprised that none of us have remarked on your new (and very attractive not to mention entirely apposite) avatar. I meant to pass a comment a few days ago, when I first noticed it, but it slipped my mind…..

Anyway, it strikes me as being entirely fitting. And it is a lovely image….

Thanks! I found it when doing an image http://www.duckduckgo.com search (trying not to use Google anymore) on the word 'coffee.'

I seem to have an avatar identity crisis on a regular basis. :p

I don't think I've had any coffee from El Salvador yet, I shall add that to my list for next time.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Thanks! I found it when doing an image http://www.duckduckgo.com search (trying not to use Google anymore) on the word 'coffee.'

I seem to have an avatar identity crisis on a regular basis. :p

I don't think I've had any coffee from El Salvador yet, I shall add that to my list for next time.

Well, personally, I must say that I quite like it. It is a very attractive take on the idea of coffee, elegant porcelain cup, and coffee beans, a nice, neat, sharp but well taken image.

And yes, I have noticed that you seem to change yours frequently. For my part, even working out - with enormous difficulty - what to do, and trying to find some sort of suitable image (which only became an issue when I started participating in the WW games, as, prior to that, I had never used an avatar), it is almost more trouble than it is worth to find and try to upload one.

On the all important topic of coffee, Intelligentsia seem to have finished with the 'Los Immortales' for this year as it is no longer available on their website; I expect it will re-appear next summer some time. They also have a good coffee from Nicaragua - the 'Los Delirios', but personally, I prefer the 'Los Immortales'.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
The Brazilian Silver Bridge beans have shipped so it should be but a day or so before they arrive, I hope, since they're only one state away from me. I'm eagerly looking forward to tasting this batch. I have a good friend who is a Brazilian and I want to be able to say to him that either the beans from his home country are good or horrible! :p I'm sure they'll be great though. :)

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The Brazilian Silver Bridge beans have shipped so it should be but a day or so before they arrive, I hope, since they're only one state away from me. I'm eagerly looking forward to tasting this batch. I have a good friend who is a Brazilian and I want to be able to say to him that either the beans from his home country are good or horrible! :p I'm sure they'll be great though. :)

Now, I have never tried (or seen, or been offered) Brazilian coffee, so I cannot adjudicate on the matter with any conviction. However, (as posted here) I did recently have occasion to sample Mexican coffee and have to report that I was somewhat……..underwhelmed by the experience.

Kurwenal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2012
Yes, SBG, nice avatar...and perhaps reminiscent of your recent purchase.

SS: I love that you fallen for the Ethiopian coffees! Proof of your good taste and discerning palate. You know, fresh roasted Ethiopiques is but a PM away......and it does make very nice drip and FP, in addition to the more common espresso use.

Here is another one to keep your eye on. I really like this coffee, and BB has a good history of delivering fresh beans.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit

SS: I love that you fallen for the Ethiopian coffees! Proof of your good taste and discerning palate. You know, fresh roasted Ethiopiques is but a PM away......and it does make very nice drip and FP, in addition to the more common espresso use.

Here is another one to keep your eye on. I really like this coffee, and BB has a good history of delivering fresh beans.

Thanks. I may keep this avatar for a while since I really like it too. :p

Those Three African's beans were great, very smooth and refreshing. I may get them again one day.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Yes, you may consider me smitten by the Ethiopians. Count me impressed. Very impressed. And thank you for your kind offer.

Must say that I have never heard of BB - are they really that good?

On a separate but related matter, any thoughts on Rwandan coffee, or has anyone here sampled any? Rumour suggests that it is supposed to be very good.

Thanks. I may keep this avatar for a while since I really like it too. :p

Those Three African's beans were great, very smooth and refreshing. I may get them again one day.

Yes, an excellent avatar; I like the crisp clarity of the picture, while the utterly appropriate nature of the subject matter itself, goes without saying…..

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Really? I swear there was a poster in the earlier days of this thread who used to go on about how he loved BB. ;)

Well, as I am in Europe, and everything on these lines that I order must be imported from the States, (a situation where the postage costs often exceed the cost of ordered coffees….) a profusion of names and companies must have led to some…….perhaps polite switching off and not paying equal heed to all posts……..

In any case, I do pay heed to anything to do with Intelligentsia (who have always, in my experience with them, been prompt and efficient with orders). Moreover, I always read - at length- the accounts which have everyone else raving about Sweet Maria's (and I have found them a lot more difficult to deal with, not least because I am abroad so much of the time so ordering with any degree of regularity is something of a…..challenge), that any mention of BB went right over my head, and wasn't even registered, flagged or noticed by me……..oooooops………..

Kurwenal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2012
I think Blue Bottle and Stumptown are two of the better roasters out there. They are not small batch, but they do have large enough varieties to make things interesting. I have worked my way through the offerings of both, and have a few favorites that I order from time to time. At Blue Bottle, Three Africans and their freakishly good decaf offering, Decaf Noir, are very worthy coffees. In contrast, Blue Bottle's standard espresso offerings are pretty boring, and I opt for Stumptown's espressos that are generally superior.

The other roaster I order from on a fairly regular basis is Double Shot. The coffee is good, and there is the added bonus of this, which I have mentioned previously.

I have no doubt that the shipping costs make these prohibitive for anyone outside the US.

Why order from roasters when I roast my own? Research!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I think Blue Bottle and Stumptown are two of the better roasters out there. They are not small batch, but they do have large enough varieties to make things interesting. I have worked my way through the offerings of both, and have a few favorites that I order from time to time. At Blue Bottle, Three Africans and their freakishly good decaf offering, Decaf Noir, are very worthy coffees. In contrast, Blue Bottle's standard espresso offerings are pretty boring, and I opt for Stumptown's espressos that are generally superior.

The other roaster I order from on a fairly regular basis is Double Shot. The coffee is good, and there is the added bonus of this, which I have mentioned previously.

I have no doubt that the shipping costs make these prohibitive for anyone outside the US.

Why order from roasters when I roast my own? Research!

Thanks for the advice and recommendation. Actually, I didn't watch that video until now; (slow) internet connections in strange places meant that I developed an utter loathing of anything visual as it took forever to download and was constantly 'buffering', hence, I rarely watched any videos (not even news videos) online, preferring to read text reports.

Well, roasting my own is a step somewhat too far from my current weltanschauung; and shipping costs are why I buy more than I probably should when I order from a company such as Intelligentsia, while frequent (and unpredictable) travels preclude a regular fortnightly subscription (which I have given thought to).
Never mind. 'Fail better' and all that - the path to perfection is long and arduous, none of us have ever pretended otherwise.

Now, your thoughts (if any) on Rwandan coffee?

I recall watching that film earlier this year from your recommendation and enjoyed it.

Yes, I have just watched it, too; very interesting and enjoyable. The shots of Italy (terracotta stone, effortless style - and that is just the coffee…….) leave me whimpering with ineffable longing…..

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
While idly perusing sites where one can mull over varieties of the exquisite Chemex, complete with leather collar and I just noticed (on two sites, including Chemex's own) that they are about to introduce a 'modern' version which is to be marketed under the fascinating name of (wait for it): 'Ottomatic'…...

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
While idly perusing sites where one can mull over varieties of the exquisite Chemex, complete with leather collar and I just noticed (on two sites, including Chemex's own) that they are about to introduce a 'modern' version which is to be marketed under the fascinating name of (wait for it): 'Ottomatic'…...

Looks quite familiar....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 78

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Looks quite familiar....

Yes, that is the one. So, here we have yet another coffee maker producing something that vaguely resembles a chemistry set (well, the sort of chemistry set I had as a kid).

The Chemex site itself mentions a launch of 2015 for this product; I confess that I shall be fascinated to read the reviews which no doubt will be published.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Not too far from Rochester. :cool:
If your around Rochester, check out Desert Oasis there downtown. Go there everytime we're up there, very good, and owners are awesome and friendly. Chatted with one other night but not long as they were swamped with a line literally out the door. Weather was weird this past week, was chilly and snowed a bit, and damn black ice on the roads, then Sun was like 65 degrees lol.

BTW if you love beer, and burgers lol, ever go to Clubhouse BFD off Crooks? Love that place.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
If your around Rochester, check out Desert Oasis there downtown. Go there everytime we're up there, very good, and owners are awesome and friendly. Chatted with one other night but not long as they were swamped with a line literally out the door. Weather was weird this past week, was chilly and snowed a bit, and damn black ice on the roads, then Sun was like 65 degrees lol.

BTW if you love beer, and burgers lol, ever go to Clubhouse BFD off Crooks? Love that place.

The Dessert Oasis is where I have been getting my beans lately; there are several posts in this thread where I spoke about the lovely place.

Never been to the Clubhouse before though..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.