Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

eric/

Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Got my machine. Pulled my first shot today. not sure what it was supposed to taste like, but I enjoyed it.

For some reason though when making it, one side pours out slower than the other.:confused:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Got my machine. Pulled my first shot today. not sure what it was supposed to taste like, but I enjoyed it.

I had the same thought, tasted okay to me but wasn't sure what my expectation should have been (and still don't). Although I am confident my brews would not live up to the mighty expectations of Shrink. :D

For some reason though when making it, one side pours out slower than the other.:confused:

I get the same thing happen to me on my machine. I think, and Shrink can back me up here, that it has to do with the grind and more-so the tamp of the puck as to why one side pours better than the other.

I haven't made a latté all day... I think I'll go do that now.

eric/

Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
I had the same thought, tasted okay to me but wasn't sure what my expectation should have been (and still don't). Although I am confident my brews would not live up to the mighty expectations of Shrink. :D

Ha.

I get the same thing happen to me on my machine. I think, and Shrink can back me up here, that it has to do with the grind and more-so the tamp of the puck as to why one side pours better than the other.

I haven't made a latté all day... I think I'll go do that now.

It did it with just water too though, that's the thing.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

The man knows whereof he speaks. It's the tamp, but the tamp can be effected by the grind. If it is off, the water, which is being forced through the compressed grinds at high prerssure will find the route of least resistance. If the grind has a lot of particle size variability, you get t "channels".

Eric/, you have a good grinder, so you probably do not have a problem with particle size variability. Perhaps your grind is a bit too coarse. If it took much more than 25 seconds or so to get 2 - 2 1/2 ounces in your cup, the grind needs to be a bit finer...the water is passing through too quickly and your shots are under extracted.

The tamp should be flat and even on top. The top of the puck should be below the rim of the filter basket (about 1/4 to 1/3 down in the basket. Also, it's good to "polish the puck"...after tamping, but before lifting the tamper out, spin the tamper on top of the puck and you'll get a nice smooth top on the puck. Most important, however, is even pressure straight down on the tamper, and that the top of the puck is level.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
With, but with no coffee grinds in it.

Not clear why you did that?

I don't know that it means much, other than the water comes through the shower screen unevenly, not in a perfect stream that perfectly divides between the two spouts.

The real issue is, does it come out very unevenly with coffee in the portafilter.

I don't know how many shots you've pulled since you got the machine, but you could try taking the shower screen off and cleaning it, or just eyeball it and see that the holes are not plugged on one side.

But what it does with the basket empty doesn't matter if the coffee is coming out relatively evenly when you're pulling

EDIT:

If I remember correctly, you have a Gaggia Classic. I checked the specs and it has a three way valve, which means you can back flush to clean the brew group. Gaggia doesn't generally give instructions in the Manual about back flushing (fear of user getting burned and Gaggia getting sued), but check the Manual for back flushing. If there is nothing in the Manual, call wholelattelove Tech Support and get instruction on how to do a back flush to keep your brew group clean. I do a weekly back flush with Cafiza to keep the brew group clean, and the occasional water back flush between chemical back flushes.

Last edited:

eric/

Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
According to the instruction manual, on first use I'm supposed to run a ton of water through the steamer and the coffee drain thing where you actually make the espresso.

I'm not like freaking out or anything like that, I was just a tad worried that I was doing something wrong. When I was pulling the water only shot, it would always flow to one side and fill that cup up before the other side.

When I pulled the shot, only two, mind you, it flowed to the same side to pretty much the same levels as the water. Even after I tried changing the filter thing. I think I have one more to try perhaps.

So Idk if maybe I'm using or doing something that's incorrect.

dinggus

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2012
I never got into espresso's until I moved to Miami, they have the best espresso's ever!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
According to the instruction manual, on first use I'm supposed to run a ton of water through the steamer and the coffee drain thing where you actually make the espresso.

I'm not like freaking out or anything like that, I was just a tad worried that I was doing something wrong. When I was pulling the water only shot, it would always flow to one side and fill that cup up before the other side.

When I pulled the shot, only two, mind you, it flowed to the same side to pretty much the same levels as the water. Even after I tried changing the filter thing. I think I have one more to try perhaps.

I always pre-heat my mug with water from the machine, but I always do it without the portafilter in place. Sounds like you had to prime the machine on first use. I had to do the same thing with mine but only had to run it for 40 seconds like that.

I'm sure it doesn't matter if you have the portafilter in while running only water, but it's something that I don't think is necessary and I wouldn't worry too much about which port the water comes out of. What you should worry about, :D , is if the espresso comes out evenly or at least as even as possible. Which goes back to the grind and tamp technique.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

I always pre-heat my mug with water from the machine, but I always do it without the portafilter in place. Sounds like you had to prime the machine on first use. I had to do the same thing with mine but only had to run it for 40 seconds like that.

I'm sure it doesn't matter if you have the portafilter in while running only water, but it's something that I don't think is necessary and I wouldn't worry too much about which port the water comes out of. What you should worry about, :D , is if the espresso comes out evenly or at least as even as possible. Which goes back to the grind and tamp technique.

SBJ has got it...it goes back to the grind and the tamp.

However, taking a look at the shower screen might be a good idea to see if any of the holes are plugged. If not, a call to wholelattelove to ask them about the characteristics of your particular machine will get you information specifically about the Gaggia machine you have...and, at the very least, reassurance all is OK.

Also, irrespective of this issue, the suggestion in my last post about back flushing is something you might want to follow up on.

eric/

Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
I'll probably give them a call Monday. I'm going to have time to play with it this weekend so I'll be able to see what's going on. I pulled a shot this morning before work just for fun, and I did notice that in my espresso there were some grinds, so I adjusted it up in coarseness a tad bit and I'll try again later today when I'm off work and take a look. I'm going to change out the filter thing on the portafilter (that's what it's called, right?) and see what happens with that too.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I'll probably give them a call Monday. I'm going to have time to play with it this weekend so I'll be able to see what's going on. I pulled a shot this morning before work just for fun, and I did notice that in my espresso there were some grinds, so I adjusted it up in coarseness a tad bit and I'll try again later today when I'm off work and take a look. I'm going to change out the filter thing on the portafilter (that's what it's called, right?) and see what happens with that too.

The thingy with the handle is the portafilter. The smaller thingy that goes into the portafilter is the filter basket. (The Manual should have a diagram with the names of the parts.)

The filter basket is not your problem. I strongly suggest that you use the double shot basket, and don't worry about the other filter baskets. Just stick with the double shot basket.

One way of judging if the grind is right is by timing how long it takes for the machine to dispense 2 - 2 1/2 ounces into the cup. If it takes less than 20 seconds to get 2 - 2 1/2 ounces, the grind is too coarse and you are under extracting. If it takes more than about 28-30 seconds to dispense 2 - 2 1/2 ounces into the cup, the grind is too fine and you are over extracting.

Right now you are juggling two variable at once...grind and tamp. It's very hard to do. Try, as best you can, to control one of the variables - the tamp, so you are only messing with one variable - the grind.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Ok so now I think I've got the terms down.

the thing is I can't actually tell which filter basket is the double shot one.

:D

The deeper of the two baskets is the double.

The deeper and larger of the two (three?) baskets is the double shot. I looked at what I think is the user Manual parts diagram, and if I got the right one the double shot basket had straight sides, and the other basket(s) have stepped sides. Anyway, it's the big one with the most holes in the bottom.

Sorry, I missed your post above. The large basket with the most holes is the double. Parts picture should be in the Manual.

eric/

Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
I'm sure the destruction manual will tell you which is which.

Yeah that's what I thought. I used it yesterday for two shots and had uneven flow, but that was definitely due to bad tamper. The first shot I packed the portafilter with so many grinds it wouldn't fit in the machine! Haha. :D

this morning I made a single and used a different one. I think it was too fine though for the grind, so I upped it and I'll try again when I get home today and see.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Yeah that's what I thought. I used it yesterday for two shots and had uneven flow, but that was definitely due to bad tamper. The first shot I packed the portafilter with so many grinds it wouldn't fit in the machine! Haha. :D

this morning I made a single and used a different one. I think it was too fine though for the grind, so I upped it and I'll try again when I get home today and see.

Overfilling the basket will definitely not work. Use the double shot basket, and after you tamp the top of the puck should be about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way below the rim of the basket. The top of the tamped grinds should NOT be even with the top of the basket, but a ways below it.

I know the Real-Men-Don't-Read-The-User-Manual gene is on the Y chromosome, but break down, get in touch with your feminine side, and read the Manual. Or at least give it a glance...it won't compromise your masculinity, I promise!! :p ;) :D

eric/

Original poster
Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
Overfilling the basket will definitely not work. Use the double shot basket, and after you tamp the top of the puck should be about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way below the rim of the basket. The top of the tamped grinds should NOT be even with the top of the basket, but a ways below it.

I know the Real-Men-Don't-Read-The-User-Manual gene is on the Y chromosome, but break down, get in touch with your feminine side, and read the Manual. Or at least give it a glance...it won't compromise your masculinity, I promise!! :p ;) :D

I was reading the manual. That's the scary part.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I may have skipped over the part about filling the portafilter. But I'm usually pretty good at following directions, especially if they are explicit.

Not to be overly picky (he said while being overly oicky), but the thing the coffee goes in is the filter basket.:p

My only excuse for being such a putz is that when we're communicating about some instructions, having our terminology on the same page makes it easier.:eek: :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.