Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chazak

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2022
So, by your logic, I am forced to use a third-party app because Apple refuses to keep up with global security standards. Yeah, no.
You are not forced to use any messaging platform. You choose to do so and you chose to do so with full knowledge of limitations and restrictions on whatever your choice was. "Forced" is a falsehood.

I would absolutely prefer a universal standard were adopted and think it is ridiculous of Apple to take the position they have so far. That said, regulators should absolutely stay out of it. It is a business decision Apple has made. It may come back to bite them on their rear end, but it is their choice. EU regulator are a plague that supports mediocrity and wishes to enshrine it in marketplace law.

Last edited:

AlexESP

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2014
If it weren't for the EU, we wouldn't have USB-C on our iPhones.

Apple will always make decisions that enhance their profitability even if they're not best for the consumer.
Of course they do. Then the EU could also regulate that the base iPhone 15 needs the A17 Pro, third camera and ProMotion because it would be the best for the consumer (we can agree on that). But regulating to benefit the user is a very shortsighted view of what “the best for the consumer” means.

Ah, and there’s not even a universal definition of what’s “the best for the costumer”. Because to me, that would be keeping Lightning, not USB-C.

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
So, by your logic, I am forced to use a third-party app because Apple refuses to keep up with global security standards. Yeah, no.
RCS is as insecure as SMS/MMS. It does not have encryption, full stop. Google Messages has encryption but that’s a feature that they’ve bolted onto RCS and is only available if both users are using Google’s messaging service. People need to quit regurgitating this false talking point.

Howyalikdemapls

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2013
Messaging is so core to modern communication, that there should really be a modern secure facility that’s platform-independent and non-proprietary.
This thread is so different from the thread about Samsung wanting Apple to adopt RCS.

Personally I was surprised by the other thread at how much everyone was against Apple adopting RCS. I’m more in favor of having RCS as an option on iPhones than I am of opening up iMessage to Android and other platforms.

Reactions: klasma

Cancelled
May 21, 2014
RCS is as insecure as SMS/MMS. It does not have encryption, full stop. Google Messages has encryption but that’s a feature that they’ve bolted onto RCS and is only available if both users are using Google’s messaging service. People need to quit regurgitating this false talking point.

I never mentioned RCS.

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
This thread is so different from the thread about Samsung wanting Apple to adopt RCS.

Personally I was surprised by the other thread at how much everyone was against Apple adopting RCS. I’m more in favor of having RCS as an option on iPhones than I am of opening up iMessage to Android and other platforms.
Thing is, I agree with the text of the post you’re quoting, it’s just that I don’t feel that it describes RCS. RCS is not simultaneously modern and secure and platform-independent and non-proprietary. If you want security, you sacrifice non-proprietary. If you want modern features, you have to use Google’s proprietary implementation of/on RCS.

@Brett

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2016
Straight up get lost EU. Bigger things going on in the world. Many on your doorstep. Fix them. Messaging on iPhone is not broken. Sounds like Google may have been doing some lobbying. If you want to make RCS a default standard you need to go after the carriers. Because Google’s RCS is not a standard.

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
I never mentioned RCS.
In that case, we’re probably more in agreement, then. An open secure standard would be great. RCS isn’t that, but people persist in claiming that it is. You didn’t mention RCS, but it echoed popular talking points for RCS, which lead me to believe that you were an RCS advocate.

Reactions: 5232152

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
No one is forcing you to use something else. But if the system tools alone don’t satisfy your needs, you can readily install everything you like. Most professional photographers are probably using something else than Apple photos and Preview, musicians often something else than GarageBand, which shouldn’t stop anyone else from using those stock tools. And of course there’s nothing wrong in using these even by professionals on the right occasion

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
That seems potentially overly broad. Look at Spotify’s podcast exclusivity, signing in demand hosts arguably gives it power to behave independently of its competitors. Any sort of blue ocean effort would also “behave to an appreciable extent independently of its competitors”, as that’s the whole idea of disruptive innovation. Is it any wonder the EU tech scene is so stagnant?
Well no a dominant position is not in itself an infringement of EU competition law, and the holders of such positions are allowed to compete on merit, like any other company.

You can have a dominant position at 5% marketshare or 99% marketshare. As long as you aren’t abusing it you are completely fine.

If you want more you can read here :
Examples of behaviour that may amount to an abuse include: requiring buyers to purchase all units of a particular product only from the dominant company (exclusive purchasing); setting prices at a loss-making level (predation or predatory pricing); refusing to supply input indispensable for competition in an ancillary market, and charging excessive prices.

Reactions: Lyrics23

Cancelled
May 21, 2014
No one is forcing you to use something else. But if the system tools alone don’t satisfy your needs, you can readily install everything you like. Most professional photographers are probably using something else than Apple photos and Preview, musicians often something else than GarageBand, which shouldn’t stop anyone else from using those stock tools. And of course there’s nothing wrong in using these even by professionals on the right occasion

Your logic is American and won't hold up in the EU. Apple has indicated that Android users are secondary the entire time iMessage has been around. Hard to deny. On top of that, Apple has refused to help develop, discuss, or adopt any kind of security protocols that go outside its own monopoly as a way to force more consumers to make a choice that has nothing to do with Apple but with the people they communicate with.
Why you fearless want to defend a trillion-dollar company that does not care about you makes little to no sense to me.

DoogH

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2011
I love iMessage and its features. But today's lack of compatibility with non-Apple devices is not ideal. I'm glad they are looking into it. And I'm also glad they are not forcing change without proper research. Hurray! (so far)
Agree. I don’t understand how the consumer benefits from the platform being closed?

I suppose it makes Apple less willing to improve the feature, because there is less potential for a competitive advantage.

But on the other hand, they’ll have to compete with other messaging services more explicitly.

GalileoSeven

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2015
USB-C was one thing. This is entirely different. EU Bureaucrats needs to wake up and realize that iMessage is a bit player and most folks in EU countries have been using different services for a longggggg time now.

They're just trying to squeeze more money out of Apple at this point.

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
Your logic is American and won't hold up in the EU. Apple has indicated that Android users are secondary the entire time iMessage has been around. Hard to deny. On top of that, Apple has refused to help develop, discuss, or adopt any kind of security protocols that go outside its own monopoly as a way to force more consumers to make a choice that has nothing to do with Apple but with the people they communicate with.
Why you fearless want to defend a trillion-dollar company that does not care about you makes little to no sense to me.
I don’t want to defend a multi trillion dollar company, but i don’t think people will benefit too much, as they can always choose the services they like.
I’m not a programmer, but some tacked on interoperability will result in a mess and possibly will open more doors for vulnerabilities to be exploited for everyone involved instead of closing them, except for maybe Google, who will walk away even more empowered than ever before, thanks to people who think that this is a good idea.

And I’m European btw

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
I love iMessage but enough is enough there should be integration with other non iPhone users. It’s annoying to me when I can’t sent proper media to my green friends.

Phil Schiller did not suggest opening it up at one point? It doesn’t sound like Apple can’t but won’t.
Tough. Either get your friends iOS devices, get an Android device or suck it up and deal with the green messages.

Apple is under no obligation to cater to you or anyone else pouting over message incompatability.

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
On top of that, Apple has refused to help develop, discuss, or adopt any kind of security protocols that go outside its own monopoly as a way to force more consumers to make a choice that has nothing to do with Apple but with the people they communicate with..
First, there is no message monopoly and secondly, Apple is under no obligation to cater to those who are not their customers.

• Haha
Reactions: Sophisticatednut

Sophisticatednut

macrumors 68020
May 2, 2021
Scandinavia
First, there is no message monopoly and secondly, Apple is under no obligation to cater to those who are not their customers.
1: EU don’t care about monopoly
2: nobody said anything about monopolies.
3: Apple is under legal obligations to follow the law.
4: They asked to be excepted from the requirements and EU is looking in to the legitimacy to that request

Reactions: Lyrics23

Gudi

Suspended
May 3, 2013
Berlin, Berlin
Apple is under no obligation to cater to you or anyone else pouting over message incompatability.
Yes, they are obliged by law:

Digital Markets Act: Ensuring fair and open digital markets*

Examples of changes that gatekeepers will have to implement include ensuring end users can easily uninstall pre-installed applications or stop the installation of applications by default and provide for choice. On the other side, gatekeepers will need to ensure that business users can get access to performance data about advertising campaigns and ad pricing information, allow developers to use alternative in-app payment systems and provide for interoperability options for messenger systems.

Naraxus

macrumors 68020
Oct 13, 2016
Yes, they are obliged by law:

Digital Markets Act: Ensuring fair and open digital markets*

Examples of changes that gatekeepers will have to implement include ensuring end users can easily uninstall pre-installed applications or stop the installation of applications by default and provide for choice. On the other side, gatekeepers will need to ensure that business users can get access to performance data about advertising campaigns and ad pricing information, allow developers to use alternative in-app payment systems and provide for interoperability options for messenger systems.
No they are not. At least not at this point in time. Down the road then yes but as current, they're not classified as a "Gatekeeper"

trusso

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
Just because I like the Mac doesn't mean I think Apple should hoard all its goodies to itself. If the C-suite truly cared about security, privacy and empowering people, they would make iMessage (and perhaps even macOS) available to the masses.

Apple makes a killing on their hardware, but it's their software (bugs notwithstanding) that are their Crown Jewels. Just imagine a world where macOS (with its Unix and NeXTSTEP underpinnings) held the marketshare of Windows.

But Apple chooses to be selfish.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
EU Regulators to EU Carriers: Please adopt RCS at the carrier to provide interoperability!
EU Carriers: <Appropriate language response that effectively means “get bent”.>
EU Regulators: Oh, right, as EU Regulators we only regulate non-EU companies, sorry!

• Love
Reactions: gusmula

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G3
Jul 22, 2002
Short answer? The EU should kill this piece of 💩. The only reason why Apple doesn‘t integrate RCS is fear. The fear that parents will give their children some cheaper Android phones.

This is at least what Apple says
https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/9/2...-lock-in-epic-games-filings-app-store-dispute
Simple solution is to just require all EU carriers to adopt RCS. Sure, those carriers will have to pay to have their infrastructure updated for no financial benefit, but EU regulators don’t exists to make sure that what they’re requesting is financially viable. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.