Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

m4mario

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2017
San Francisco Bay Area
Soooo…..are we still all defending Apple in this monopoly stuff?
Apple is not a monopoly in any of the markets they compete in. In almost every market from smartphones, to tablets, to computers, they only have a small % of the market share.
Google is a monopoly in search engines. Microsoft is a monopoly in computer OS, and so on. Android has a large market share on smartphones. Spotify has over 50% market share in EU. If you claim Apple is a monopoly because it controls its own ecosystem, then you don't understand what a monopoly is.

Last edited:

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
If Steve Jobs was alive, Apple would’ve pulled out of EU in retaliation.

Would not be surprised if Apple appeals this and instead of paying the fine, just leaves EU altogether.

The only reason the EU exists is because Germany has saved the EU multiple times. But this time, Germany is in a recession themselves.

So the EU will fall as their paymeister (Germany) is in trouble. Italy is crap and France is also pointing towards a potential recession.

Might not be a bad idea to just pull out of the EU as in the long run, the EU doesn't look so good.

SmugMaverick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2017
UK
It's quite telling that the EU is protecting Spotify (EU company), which has a monopoly on music streaming.

The only reason the EU exists is because Germany has saved the EU multiple times. But this time, Germany is in a recession themselves.

So the EU will fall as their paymeister (Germany) is in trouble. Italy is crap and France is also pointing towards a potential recession.

Might not be a bad idea to just pull out of the EU as in the long run, the EU doesn't look so good.

Here comes the American conspiracy theories 🥱

it’s not US v EU, chill out.

Zest28

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2022
Apple is not a monopoly in any of the markets they compete in. In almost every market from smartphones, to tablets, to computers, they only have a small % of the market share.
Google is a monopoly in search engines. Microsoft is a monopoly in computer OS, and so on. Android has a large market share on smartphones. Spotify has over 50% market share in EU. If you claim Apple is a monopoly because it controls its own ecosystem, they you don't understand what a monopoly is.

Indeed, Spotify (EU company) is by far more close to being a "monopolist" as they have by far the largest market share in music streaming.

You can tell this is all political driven as the EU sucks in Tech.

Godspeed8230

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2021

Oh my...

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
🤣🤣🤣🤣

Here comes the “PULL OUT OF THE EU, THAT’LL SHOW EM” crowd.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Tim and Apple are late 90s Microsoft
Late 90’s? Microsoft are still horrible. Wave you booted up a brand new windows 11 Home PC? You can’t use it without a Microsoft account unless you know a crafty workaround. Nuts!

m4mario

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2017
San Francisco Bay Area
Can someone help me why Apple now often argues this way? I always thought the $99 or $299 they charge for the Apple Developer Program were exactly for the features they call "free"? My question is not intended to sound sarcastic or snarky, I'm really curious.
I'll pay you $100 per year for using your car. And I'll drive it for Uber and make a lot of money on it. Incase there is a repair, the cost is on you. Is that a fair deal?

emulajavi

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2011
So it fines for iPhone and iPad but iPad is excluded from sideloading in iOS 17.4? It has no sense. They should also require sideloading and alternative AppStores on iPad.

The European Commission has fined Apple over €1.8 billion for abusing its dominant position on the market for the distribution of music streaming apps to iPhone and iPad users ('iOS users') through its App Store

wanha

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2020
$2 billion is a lot of cheddar. While I am a believer of openness on where apps can be installed from (like the Macintosh framework), I have to wonder if Apple will eventually consider stopping business in the EU as there is the potential for these massive fines.

As long as Apple makes close to $100 billion in revenue from Europe each year, the EU is going to have to fine them a whole lot more than $2 billion to get Apple to leave the market

wanha

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2020
The real question no-one asks is where does that 2 billion go to when there's a fine? Who's pockets and bonuses? because I know the ordinary people who pay the subscriptions etc don't see any of it..

Why is that the real question?

This is an anti-competition ruling, not an anti-consumer one.

hacky

Suspended
Jul 14, 2022
They pay more to music artists than Spotify do.
Well, not really. It's more urban legend than reality. I mean yes, they pay marginally more. But it's still nearly zero and their payment amount trend goes down.

Check the following video which describes it pretty nicely. Definitely not worth supporting Apple Music just because of your argument.

11:35 timestamp

Godspeed8230

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2021
The real question no-one asks is where does that 2 billion go to when there's a fine? Who's pockets and bonuses? because I know the ordinary people who pay the subscriptions etc don't see any of it..

They sure do, my friend:
"Fines imposed on undertakings found in breach of EU antitrust rules are paid into the general EU budget. This money is not earmarked for particular expenses, but Member States' contributions to the EU budget for the following year are reduced accordingly. The fines therefore help to finance the EU and reduce the burden for taxpayers."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.