Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moac

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2012
I have a few question, i am newb to this whole jailbreak thing.
I have a iPhone 5 with 6.1, i updated it via WIFI.
Is it safe to jailbreak via this method?
can i undo the jailbreak later on , easily?
will it void my 2year contract?
what are the risks with a jailbroken phone?
will it work the same except with the ability to use Cydia?

msahadi

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2010
Jailbreak worked with out a hitch. Cydia loaded (just can't download anything). Decided to roboot my phone and now I'm stuck on the apple logo. Did this happen to anyone else?

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK

Read this: http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/4/3948206/jailbreaking-your-ios-device-a-newbies-guide

A newbie guide to jailbreaking. Should answer all your questions.

Krauser

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
So you just like voiding your warranty (it does, even if you lie about it and tell Apple you never did), and violating your contract with AT&T (and basically laughing at all of the people who pay the legitimate tethering fee by stealing it yourself instead)?

I'd say just get some free apps and be cool with it! Sounds like you're ok with everything else (even if you rationalize it)....

:apple:
Laughing at the people who pay the tethering fee? If you legitimately pay for that fee, you should be laughing at yourself. And good luck trying to make someone feel bad about breaking AT&T's contract. When they start caring about their customers, maybe their customers will start caring about them. Until then, they can screw themselves making people pay for data they've already paid for.

ritmomundo

macrumors 68020
Jan 12, 2011
Los Angeles, CA

Yes, it is safe to jailbreak
Yes, you can undo the jailbreak by doing a restore through iTunes or a reset under Settings
No, it will not void your contract.
But it will void your warranty.
Risks are associated with opening up your phone to accidental damage, malicious code, etc., because you (and any apps/tweaks you install) now have root access.
Everything will work as is, with the addition of tweaks/personalizations you install through Cydia

jcoffey784

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2010
for whoever posted they are stuck on the apple logo, do a hard reboot (hold lock and home button until it reboots and shows the apply symbol again). I could not get cydia to work, i am assuming due to heavy demand right now, so i had to turn my phone off and turn it on to confirm it worked before i went tinkering with my wifes phone. happened to me, so i did the hard reboot and worked fine.

msahadi

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2010
for whoever posted they are stuck on the apple logo, do a hard reboot (hold lock and home button until it reboots and shows the apply symbol again). I could not get cydia to work, i am assuming due to heavy demand right now, so i had to turn my phone off and turn it on to confirm it worked before i went tinkering with my wifes phone. happened to me, so i did the hard reboot and worked fine.

I gave that a try 3 times. Still stuck. Guess I'm going to have to do a restore and try again.:(

MatthewStorm

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
Chapel Hill
I have an iPhone 5 and a Macbook air, I just click on jailbreak and everything goes well till the part "unlock your iPhone and click the new Jailbreak icon" ... I unlock my iPhone and there is not an "jailbreak icon" !?! what i´m doing wrong?

Swipe to the next screen. You'll see it there.

Codyak

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
DC
Laughing at the people who pay the tethering fee? If you legitimately pay for that fee, you should be laughing at yourself. And good luck trying to make someone feel bad about breaking AT&T's contract. When they start caring about their customers, maybe their customers will start caring about them. Until then, they can screw themselves making people pay for data they've already paid for.

But won't you think of poor little AT&T? :(

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
Although not many reasons for me to jailbreak, I know many who will be happy.

What jailbreak tweaks is everyone excited to try on their devices?

Some of the biggest uses for me to jailbreak, namely tethering, notifications, etc. are no longer necessary as they are including functionalities (AT&T now includes tethering for free in their 'mobile share plan')

But, as easy and seamless as it is, I don't see any reason NOT to. The new jailbreak doesn't even require you to enter into DFU mode, it's as easy as can possible be.

I'll be installing SBSettings, maybe play around with some themes, who knows. Probably some Siri tweaks though, there are a lot available to add functionality to Siri.

I won't be installing anything today though. I jailbroke it today, but I'll wait. Cydia tends to be really backed up and spit out a lot of errors the first couple days after a new jailbreak, Cydia and the more popular repositories will be hammered with people downloading new jailbreak apps.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
There are a few already posted in this thread.

Keep in mind that installous is no longer working but you should be able to find appsync to install apps that you have in iTunes.

Or from piratebay.....

......apparently.....

...i overheard some guy once, i wouldnt do it of course......

Last edited:

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
Perhaps he means that Apple forces on you if you were to use iOS.

Isn't this like buying a Mustang and saying that Ford "forces" 4 wheels on you? Unless Apple changes something on you after you purchased, Apple forces nothing onto to the consumer.

It is very well know that if you want to fiddle around and dink with a Phone OS, that Android is the way to go. It is for that exact reason that I chose an iPhone, because I do enough dinking around with technology as a career, that my personal devices need to Just Work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.