Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri
I've noticed it seems to really vary. With my old Verizon setup, it would have gone from $70 a month for 700 min/500texts(unlimited to other VZW)/Unlimited data, to $100-$120 for Unlimited text/minutes (I less than 200 of both of these a month) and 4 gigs of data. :confused:

Well, you must be grandfathered into an older plan then. Verizon no longer offers any unlimited data for the iPhone. So for someone currently on AT&T, that's not an option. I looked at Verizon, and they had a similar plan as the mobile share for the same price as we're paying. AT&T offers better coverage where I'm at so I stuck with them.

For a user on an AT&T family plan though (like most of us are/were), buying individual data packages, the mobile share can be the same price or less, but have the advantage of sharing data AND tethering. My wife doesn't use anywhere near 2 gigs, but I do. AT&T previously offered 250MB or 2GB. Wife uses more than 250MB! With the mobile share, I could do the same 4GB of data as before, for the exact same price. But, sharing them across two devices means she can use her 500-600MB she always uses, and I can safely go over 2GB because I can spill over into what she doesn't use. (Though I did end up getting the 6GB plan because it was only a few bucks more, and I've been tethering a lot lately)

For two iPhones and an iPad, unlimited voice and text, 4GB data shared is $160/month
For two iPhones and an iPad, unlimited voice and text, 6GB data shared is $170/month

It's 10 bucks more you get 6 gigs because, when you go up to 6GB, you get a break in the per-device rate (So you pay $20 more for 6GB of data than 4GB, BUT, pay $5 LESS per smartphone to have on the plan, so it comes out to $10 more for 2 smartphones)

modelbehaviour

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2007
UK
Just jailbroke for the first time! Looking forward to adding some toggles to notification centre! (It didn't break my Apple weather app either.)

Every time I try and download anything from cydia I get a 502 Bad Gateway error....is this just because it's overloaded? (Sorry, noob question.)

olowott

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2011
Dundee, UK
so many ppl are like happy wih the jail break, thats cool

am not a fan of it

only love it on my aTV, need that like crazy :D

NorEaster

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2012
The Magnuson-Moss warranty act in the United States prevents Apple (and any other company) to void a warranty on unrelated things. The act states that a warranty cannot be voided by modifying the product. By modifying the software, Apple can refuse to support the software, but they cannot refuse to support the hardware. By returning the device to it's original state (restoring) then they once again need to support the software unless they can PROVE the modification caused an issue.

Assuming this is accurate (admittedly, I'm being too lazy to google this), thank you for educating us. My wife's iPhone 3G had an issue and an Apple store rep refused to help her when he found out it was jailbroken. In fact, we were led to believe that her phone was now registered in some blacklist and we would no longer get support for it no matter what (and we even had paid for AppleCare for it when we first bought the phone!). And it was jb'ed just so she could put a different background on it and have copy/paste. Ah..the good ol' days when iOS didn't even have some basic features (despite having some nice ones too).

----------

Pretty sure that post was sarcasm.

Well, now that I re-read the post...I can see how it could be sarcasm. I sure as hell hope so :)

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
guys, im new to ios, coming from android.

i was wondering, since i void my warranty when jailbreaking and

i am going to probably sell the device before the warranty would have expired,

if jailbroken devices are sold more easily, harder (or with discount)?

ive been under the impression that at least with android you can sell rooted devices with a premium.

ty

Technically it does "void your warranty if you jailbreak" BUT, all you have to do when you want to sell your phone to someone is restore it back to default on iTunes...that simple and the jailbreak is off the device

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
free apps

...yet no one will ever admit to that on these forums. They will all claim sb settings or theming:rolleyes:

Installous, and its developers, was shut down a long time ago. Darn. Looks like we'll have to jailbreak for the numerous other reasons. :rolleyes:

williamsk

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2012
Although not many reasons for me to jailbreak, I know many who will be happy.

What jailbreak tweaks is everyone excited to try on their devices?

I've been holding at iOS5 because I couldn't give up Infinifolders. I don't like having multiple pages of apps, so being able to put more than 9 apps in a folder is huge for me. Don't know if it's been updated for iOS6 yet, though.

I also use Activator to launch a flashlight app from the lockscreen and SBSettings is a nice shortcut for screen brightness or airplane mode. But Infinifolders is definitely the big one.

Vanityebonet

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2013
So you just like voiding your warranty (it does, even if you lie about it and tell Apple you never did), and violating your contract with AT&T (and basically laughing at all of the people who pay the legitimate tethering fee by stealing it yourself instead)?

I'd say just get some free apps and be cool with it! Sounds like you're ok with everything else (even if you rationalize it)....

:apple:

Dude are you being sarcastic ?

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
If I updated to 6.1 OTA with my iPhone 5 and iPad 3rd Gen, is it safe to jailbreak or do I need to do something before jailbreaking?

Restore through iTunes. OTA are prone to cause errors(as said from the Evad3r team themselves)

g0odfr1end102

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Montreal, Canada
Kinda flipping out here, I really hope someone is going to answer my desperate call.
Here's the situation: I decided to restore my iPad mini prior to installing the jailbreak. Once done, I plug into evasi0on and start the download... Things take a bad turn when the progress bar stops, here's what it says: "Injecting stage 2 jailbreak data (step 1/3)". It's been this way for ten minutes here, anyone else having the same problem?

ps: should i unplug my iPad or something?

Ashyukun

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
Imagine if your Internet provider (such as Verizon FIOS) told you: You can only use 2 devices with their service. Or imagine if they told you: You can't have a 802.11ac router because you'll be consuming data too quickly.

I don't have to imagine it, I've had several providers in the past charge extra (or they would have if they'd known about it...) if you were hooking up your cable modem to a router instead of directly to a computer.

Looking forward to getting home this afternoon so I can finally update my devices to iOS 6.1 but not lose all the useful jailbreak stuff. Hopefully Cydia is behaving well by that point!

Vanityebonet

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2013
What is considered half a jail break ? Is this not a true jailbreak. I thought untethered meant u can turn the phone on or off without it being connected to the PC

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
do you still need to install a fresh copy of iOS 6.1, or does this work if you updated from 6.0.2?

i remember there were people saying that this was necessary

I didn't install a fresh copy and it worked perfect for me when I tested on my old iPhone 4. Will be jailbreaking my 5 soon.

AntDogs

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2012
this s my first iphone 5 i had.. well i been on android for years but i always heard about jail breaking. now how much benefit is it to jail break? is there a way apple can find out your phone is jail broken?

mrbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2004
Springfield, Missouri
Dumb question - but can the 5 be unlocked yet?

Legitimately or through a grey market unlock, yes.

Hacking the baseband, no.

----------

free apps

...yet no one will ever admit to that on these forums. They will all claim sb settings or theming:rolleyes:

How about configuring MMS on Straight Talk without having to resort to a crazy SIM swap method that doesn't work once the phone's reset?

NedBookPro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2011
Isn't this like buying a Mustang and saying that Ford "forces" 4 wheels on you? Unless Apple changes something on you after you purchased, Apple forces nothing onto to the consumer.

It is very well know that if you want to fiddle around and dink with a Phone OS, that Android is the way to go. It is for that exact reason that I chose an iPhone, because I do enough dinking around with technology as a career, that my personal devices need to Just Work.

That's not really a good comparison. Most people jailbreak because they want functionality that makes iOS more flexible or customisable. If Ford sold a car where you couldn't change the rims, or brand of the tyres (as per your example), then that would be unacceptable. I think even you would agree with that.

As for android being the way to go for "dinking" with the phone, if they wanted android, they would have got that already. They obviously want iPhone hardware.

I for one, probably won't jailbreak my device, but I can easily see why people would.

Just getting rid of news-stand, stocks, and other "core" apps that never get used is just an example how stubborn, arrogant and inflexible apple can be. It's for those things, for example, that jailbreaking becomes attractive at the very basic level.

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
Someone out there, please let me know when cydia servers are working. Thank you in advance.

NedBookPro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2011
General rule of thumb for me:

If I'm paying for "5GB of data", I should be able to use that 5GB *ANY WAY THAT I WANT*. I bought it. That's the end of the discussion.

Tethering should be included.

This is 100% correct in my opinion. If you paid for 5gb data, what would it matter if you tethered a device to use that data?

I really can't see why some people would consider that "stealing".

Luckily we don't have this problem in my country.

roccobladr

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2011
Broken Power Button

Question:

My power button (top one) is broken on my 4S.
Is there any way to jailbreak without the power button?

The only reason I have for jailbreaking is because I have heard that I could reroute the button to something else or at least have a better way of locking the screen other than the floating orb (assist touch)... is there really a better way to lock the screen with the jailbreak??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.