Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pavinder

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2009
To those who love jailbreaking: what actual apps you must have that can only be available in Cydia?
In Japanese iPhones, the camera shutter sound is permanently switched on and at maximum volume. For me (and others I know), one of the primary reasons to JB is simply to get rid of this sound.

Ihatefall

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
In Japanese iPhones, the camera shutter sound is permanently switched on and at maximum volume. For me (and others I know), one of the primary reasons to JB is simply to get rid of this sound.

Exactly! Along with f.lux (life savor if you use your device for more than 10 mins at night)

On the iPad, there are two: one to make iPhone apps run at full screen size and then another to double the pixels so they don't look like total garage.
It makes the apps totally usable.

dasmb

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007
This is a big blow to jailbreakers images. Majority of them don't engage/are against piracy.

I don't see how you can make that statement without backing it up, and given that the behavior is untracked you sort of can't.

I've heard that piracy via jail breaking is very common in some markets, for example in China you can expect to buy iPhones preloaded with tons of software.

And it makes complete sense. In a country with weak copyright, why would you buy a phone with few apps and a single paid ecosystem when you could buy the same phone with tons of apps and multiple ecosystems for basically the same price?

Installing software through alternate channels is the primary functionality unlocking brings to bare. It's ludicrous to suggest it isn't used to pirate extensively. Please check out the download stats for iPhone apps on Pirate Bay before you disagree.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN

Read my post above. Main reason to wait is that almost nothing is ready to run correctly on 7.

To everyone slinging stupidity back and forth, think about this....
The evad3rs haven't received that cash pile. This wonderful company they hooked up with for a one night stand has so far screwed them AND their users.

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2013
Exactly! Along with f.lux (life savor if you use your device for more than 10 mins at night)

On the iPad, there are two: one to make iPhone apps run at full screen size and then another to double the pixels so they don't look like total garage.
It makes the apps totally usable.

F.lux I agree with. But the iPhone apps running on an iPad has been fixed in iOS 7, apps should now run at double the size by default.

CydiaMasters

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2013
Let's Wait For Some Reviews Then

Looking at the controversy surrounding it; it is advised that we shall wait for some time. There are people who will check and have frank reviews on this jailbreak.

Merry Xmas to all... :)

Ihatefall

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden
Useless jailbreak in short!!!

Not really. According to almost everybody the jailbreak works great. What the JB does is to open up the iPhone and making it possible to install new apps/tweaks that's not possible without the JB.

The thing is that they had to rush the JB out before the Cydia store and the app/tweak creators had the opportunity to prepare their apps/tweaks for it. So this far just a few JB apps/tweaks are working. It's just a matter of days before most of the apps/tweaks are ready for this new JB for all phones.

Just relax and take a few deep breaths and this will work out just fine...

chagla

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2008
Not really. Android has come a long way in terms of Android, but it's nowhere near as beautiful and solid as iOS. Fact is that iOS is faster, more efficient and way more stable and secure. I'm not sure why flexibility is so desirable that you'd give up all those things.

BTW, I've owned Android phones. I'm not some Apple die-hard doing a knee-jerk defense here. You can go on and on all day long about how much more flexible Android is than iOS but at the end of the day, all that flexibility piled on top of an unstable, unpredictable OS that is more often than not difficult to deal with and near-impossible to update is meaningless.

And a lot of what Android fans brag about in terms of flexibility is really more about shoehorning Android into a desktop OS mold. I'd rather sacrifice some flexibility and instead have a world-class mobile OS that excels at what it does, while remaining secure and stable and effortless to update.

security? stability? beautiful is subjective. you can simply install a "launcher" and make Android look the way YOU want. also what is not secure about Android? can you be specific? Can you encrypt your iphone? Can you have separate restricted profile/area on iphone?

you may have used android phone but it doesn't sound like you have used it to its full potential. are you able to set home page on safari? can you attach any file to email on iphone? can you transfer any file on any computer without using wires? can you auto answer calls? can you auto schedule sms? Android experience WILL be different depending on the phone of your choice. if you use a sub $200 Android phone and say oh android sucks, then I will recommend try using a mid or high range Android device and then give your opinion.

unstable? unpredictable? lack of update? certain apps *may* crash on ANY platform. that's the fault of the specific app. no? i'm sure you don't claim ios sucks because a certain app crashed. or apps never crash on ios? lack of update also depends on many factor. it's NOT an android issue. once again, cheap android devices may or may not get the next update. unbranded/unlocked high end devices are supported for few years since os update come directly from manufacturer. then you also have carrier branded versions and if these devices do not get update, you can only blame the carriers. for example unbranded galaxy s3 is probably getting kitkat, but carrier branded s3, i'm not so sure.

when you impose restrictions and allow only few functions, i'd expect the few functions to perform well. this no way implies that Android can't perform basic tasks. it puts YOU in charge. you can make it work your way and personalize it. you can use it do advanced things (like booting pc from your phone) or you can simply use it for basic tasks.

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
Looking at the controversy surrounding it; it is advised that we shall wait for some time. There are people who will check and have frank reviews on this jailbreak.

Merry Xmas to all... :)

Here's mine. I decided to offer up my ipad as a sacrificial lamb after hearing about it. I had an extra wifi router so I set it up on my network connected to a Linux box via eth running TCPDump catching all traffic on that interface and the ipad is the only device connected to that router. So far, no unexplained traffic or "phoning home" while idle or in use. I'll let it run for another few days and do an analysis after that. I expect more of the same.

----------

Not really. According to almost everybody the jailbreak works great. What the JB does is to open up the iPhone and making it possible to install new apps/tweaks that's not possible without the JB.

If I can make my own dynamic wallpapers (and now I can!) and it doesn't do what everyone's afraid it does it's totally worth it.

So for me personally it's looking like a winner.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
This is a big blow to jailbreakers images. Majority of them don't engage/are against piracy. Whoever allowed this app into the jailbreak in the first place should be ashamed.

Furthermore, whoever does engage in piracy are pretty awful if you ask me. People spend a lot of time and effort to make apps/movies/music etc. If you can't be bothered to compensate developers or artists for their work, you should suck it up and live without their work.

I would agree if there were some type of guarantee that if you don't like an app, movie, game, album you are entitled to a refund upon deletion or return.

Reality is in apples app store, some apps are crap and you can't get a refund. Wasted funds.

Movies are getting very expensive to just see a movie once that you may or may not like. You blow the money and you can't even get a refund.

Reality check, most music is crap these days. Once you buy you can't return though. Change that law and some piracy will cease.

I alway have used piracy as a trial method.

If i like it, THEN I'll buy it.

If not, kcuf it

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
ok,, given the option to "uninstall" in not in my vocab....

Why is it there in the first place if Cydia...

Sounds like its not only "just a jailbreak" anymore...... God know what else these kids will strike deals with... to bundle malware and all sorts of cruff.

It's probably just the beginning to.

In all efforts this is slowly starting to become a "Samsung Galaxy S4 loaded with useless garbage from your mobile operator"

and just to be clear, piracy will not cease, never will, even if you could return, it may go down a tad, but it will double next year anyway.

In net.... no savings, but just lost much more money.

Ihatefall

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2010
take the blinders off

ok,, given the option to "uninstall" in not in my vocab....

Why is it there in the first place if Cydia...

Sounds like its not only "just a jailbreak" anymore...... God know what else these kids will strike deals with... to bundle malware and all sorts of cruff.

It's probably just the beginning to.

In all efforts this is slowly starting to become a "Samsung Galaxy S4 loaded with useless garbage from your mobile operator"

and just to be clear, piracy will not cease, never will, even if you could return, it may go down a tad, but it will double next year anyway.

In net.... no savings, but just lost much more money.

Dude, don't slander them just because they included a tweek store you're not familar with because its not in your language.

I already said it but there is piracy on Cydia as well. Tiag is the same a cydia, it is not the same as installous. Cydia isn't the only tweek store in the game, remember Rock?!?

And music Piracy is actually going down, and it due to streaming services like Netflix and spotify. I saw an article on it this year.

CydiaMasters

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2013
Here's mine. I decided to offer up my ipad as a sacrificial lamb after hearing about it. I had an extra wifi router so I set it up on my network connected to a Linux box via eth running TCPDump catching all traffic on that interface and the ipad is the only device connected to that router. So far, no unexplained traffic or "phoning home" while idle or in use. I'll let it run for another few days and do an analysis after that. I expect more of the same.

Thanks Mate; I am glad you made your iPad a sacrificial lamb. Update your findings please; if any.

jlnr

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2010
... and not criticise the people who are being incredibly bigoted and biased in their posts here? Wow, that's some interesting prioritisation in life.

So I'm German and I prefer not to use American cloud services given the choice, does that make me racist as well? How is it bigoted to trust or distrust computing services based on the political system that they're hosted in?

skinned66

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2011
Ottawa, Canada
Thanks Mate; I am glad you made your iPad a sacrificial lamb. Update your findings please; if any.

No update really. I pulled the plug on the 27th - nada.

I think plenty of people have already cleared it to a satisfactory level already anyway. I'm just glad to have iOS 7 on my iPad finally :) The extra control center toggles & Purge (kill all open apps) are great to have on my phone again.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
So I'm German and I prefer not to use American cloud services given the choice, does that make me racist as well? How is it bigoted to trust or distrust computing services based on the political system that they're hosted in?

Are you kidding? Your logic needs some major help. The comment in this thread (as just *one* example) was, "you can't trust the Chinese". That is hugely bigoted and horribly offensive.

A better comparison would be if someone hated all Germans because *some* Germans were Nazis, and that person decided that doing business with Germans was "doing business with Nazis". Is it more clear now?

If someone is offended, don't attack the person that was offended, instead assume there was an offence and ask a *********g question to find out why that person was offended. To do anything else is almost as bad as the original offence, it's really quite disgusting behaviour.

cydiawater

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2014
Canada
"you can't trust the Chinese". That is hugely bigoted and horribly offensive. <-- This is quite sensitive issue. Thought it shouldn't be discussed an issue like that in this forum.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.