Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sgtaylor5

Contributor
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA
Tried NimbusNote (Electron app; with web app the primary interface) until I found out that one can only import one note at a time. I’ve got 1400+ notes in Bear.

Asking to stop 14 day trial; that’s the only way to cancel it.

Edit: Unbelievable that no traditional notes app will let you batch import any more and with NimbusNote you have to ask to have a trial canceled.

Last edited:

PlayUltimate

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2016
Boulder, CO
Tried NimbusNote (Electron app; with web app the primary interface) until I found out that one can only import one note at a time. I’ve got 1400+ notes in Bear.
I've been using the Craft app. I really like the way it is set up. Been slowly moving from Apple Notes; Apple Notes does not have any good export options. And with over 4000 notes it is a slow migration.

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
For those still on the fence as to whether they should switch to an alternative... Bending Spoons closed shop for the entire US development team....

According to Bending Spoons, they're still actively developing it in-house (Italy/Europe), so there's still a future. But this sort of thing rarely ends well.

pshufd

macrumors G3
Oct 24, 2013
New Hampshire
For those still on the fence as to whether they should switch to an alternative... Bending Spoons closed shop for the entire US development team....

According to Bending Spoons, they're still actively developing it in-house (Italy/Europe), so there's still a future. But this sort of thing rarely ends well.

I'd guess that some of the US team will get together and make a competing product.

newton4000

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2015
I would give up on it.
Another interesting option is Mem.ai - it's an interesting 'self-organizing' workspace.
They have an excellent new Evernote importer.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008

whats the problem here? they are probably cutting costs and moving HQ

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
Bear 2 is live.
Testing it out now (macOS). The following is just a somewhat random list of thoughts as I check out how it works... will be very boring if you have no interest in Bear 2...

Very nice upgrade from v1, which I checked out last year when looking for an evernote replacement. v1 was way too limited for me with no WYSIWYG formatting (throughout this comment, I understand that what I think is sucky, someone else may think is great).

I like the look of Bear - it just has that look of a native Mac app. It's elegant. However, overboard on the white space. I don't care for "crowded", but it's ridiculous how much space they're wasting. There's a mile-wide margin between the side list of notes, and the note text.

One thing I love about Joplin is you can adjust the scale of the note text without changing font size. Great for small screens. I'd really miss that on Bear.

Bear uses tags to organize. Though tags can be useful, I was concerned they were no replacement for folders. But Bear organizes notes by tags, creating tag "folders" and "sub folders" by using tags. Very cool. So you can organize the same note into multiple tag "folders". Very useful for me where I can never remember what folder a "shopping list" is under in a traditional folder system. Now I could store it in multiple places using multiple tags. At the same time, this could make reorganizing a lot of notes a major PITA. Instead of just dragging a bunch of notes to a different folder, I'm not sure if there's a way to do the same in Bear. You can do a find & replace in an individual note, but I don't see anyway to quickly replace tags in multiple notes in one go. Am I missing something?

They're still going the weird route with unnecessary formatting effects, e.g. when you bold a word, it does a little animation. All the text moves around for a moment during the animation. Completely unnecessary and annoying. I'm bolding text, I don't need a celebration.

There still appears to be silly limitations to formatting, like a lime-green-only highlighter. If you're not going to offer unlimited colors, how about at least four colors? Would that really ruin the "light text editor" vibe? Tables are extremely limited and difficult to work with.

The formatting toolbar, which you have to turn on if you want it visible, floats at the bottom of the screen. I hate that for a Mac app. I suppose they think it's convenient if you're on an iphone, and they want to keep it consistent, but for a developer that hates toolbars, why did they think it was so important to put it right where your thumb might accidentally hit it while one-hand scrolling. This is typical developer thinking they're being smart when they're actually being stupid.

So, as someone who settled on Joplin a year ago, do I switch? Joplin was the best I could find for my needs, and I tested just about every single note app mentioned in this thread. But Joplin was more of a "least bad" than a "this is great" app. It's UI is sucky, just not as sucky as all the others. It has stupid limitations like having to command-click on links. It's hard to get away from the markdown underpinnings of Joplin. It has all sorts of odd formatting glitches. I think I've said it before here, but what is so hard about simply cloning the Evernote UI? It was popular for a reason, it's primary problems were that the developers trashed the performance of the app, added features no one wanted while not improving on the ones users cared about, and jacked the price up to crazy-land.

I'll have to see how my notes import into Bear v2, and performance when handling hundreds of notes. Without testing every export/import option, anyone have suggestions on best options to choose for exporting from Joplin and importing into Bear? I have lots of formatting, web links, embedded pictures, etc.

Alvinc

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2022
Testing it out now (macOS). The following is just a somewhat random list of thoughts as I check out how it works... will be very boring if you have no interest in Bear 2...

Very nice upgrade from v1, which I checked out last year when looking for an evernote replacement. v1 was way too limited for me with no WYSIWYG formatting (throughout this comment, I understand that what I think is sucky, someone else may think is great).

I like the look of Bear - it just has that look of a native Mac app. It's elegant. However, overboard on the white space. I don't care for "crowded", but it's ridiculous how much space they're wasting. There's a mile-wide margin between the side list of notes, and the note text.

One thing I love about Joplin is you can adjust the scale of the note text without changing font size. Great for small screens. I'd really miss that on Bear.

Bear uses tags to organize. Though tags can be useful, I was concerned they were no replacement for folders. But Bear organizes notes by tags, creating tag "folders" and "sub folders" by using tags. Very cool. So you can organize the same note into multiple tag "folders". Very useful for me where I can never remember what folder a "shopping list" is under in a traditional folder system. Now I could store it in multiple places using multiple tags. At the same time, this could make reorganizing a lot of notes a major PITA. Instead of just dragging a bunch of notes to a different folder, I'm not sure if there's a way to do the same in Bear. You can do a find & replace in an individual note, but I don't see anyway to quickly replace tags in multiple notes in one go. Am I missing something?

They're still going the weird route with unnecessary formatting effects, e.g. when you bold a word, it does a little animation. All the text moves around for a moment during the animation. Completely unnecessary and annoying. I'm bolding text, I don't need a celebration.

There still appears to be silly limitations to formatting, like a lime-green-only highlighter. If you're not going to offer unlimited colors, how about at least four colors? Would that really ruin the "light text editor" vibe? Tables are extremely limited and difficult to work with.

The formatting toolbar, which you have to turn on if you want it visible, floats at the bottom of the screen. I hate that for a Mac app. I suppose they think it's convenient if you're on an iphone, and they want to keep it consistent, but for a developer that hates toolbars, why did they think it was so important to put it right where your thumb might accidentally hit it while one-hand scrolling. This is typical developer thinking they're being smart when they're actually being stupid.

So, as someone who settled on Joplin a year ago, do I switch? Joplin was the best I could find for my needs, and I tested just about every single note app mentioned in this thread. But Joplin was more of a "least bad" than a "this is great" app. It's UI is sucky, just not as sucky as all the others. It has stupid limitations like having to command-click on links. It's hard to get away from the markdown underpinnings of Joplin. It has all sorts of odd formatting glitches. I think I've said it before here, but what is so hard about simply cloning the Evernote UI? It was popular for a reason, it's primary problems were that the developers trashed the performance of the app, added features no one wanted while not improving on the ones users cared about, and jacked the price up to crazy-land.

I'll have to see how my notes import into Bear v2, and performance when handling hundreds of notes. Without testing every export/import option, anyone have suggestions on best options to choose for exporting from Joplin and importing into Bear? I have lots of formatting, web links, embedded pictures, etc.

"what is so hard about simply cloning the Evernote UI?" that's what I want to ask too! For me I still prefer the user interface of Evernote v10, but the app performance drives me away. Even they improve a lot I still can't use it.

There are still apps that is quite similar to Evernote: Upnote. But I just don't want to waste time on trying anymore.

And nowadays more and more note taking (or writing) apps can't allow users to simply copy and paste text and images at the same time. They include Evernote, Notion, Craft, Ulysses and even Bear 2 (selecting Rich Text will result in texts only with images).

I gradually settled on Apple Notes and sometimes I use iA Writer. They are not ideal solutions for most people. Export needs to be done on requesting a copy through Apple website (and wait 2 days) or via Exporter third party app/Applescript. iA Writer is a text based focusing on writing only. I don't think search on Apple Notes is great (especially when I need to reset Siri and Search) But at least they work: what I want is just simply record and write something. Other apps make it too beautiful and too powerful but they still ignore some small bugs which can affect basic functionality (I reported to Craft that there are bugs when typing my language on mobile almost half a year ago but they didn't fix it).

So that's why some people have even more extreme solution as they use plain text even without relying on any images/visuals.

Reactions: ixxx69

bkkcanuck8

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2015
I store all my notes (Markdown), my documents, etc. in DEVONThink Pro (DEVONThink would probably have sufficed except for a few things I liked in Pro). I left Evernote long ago (really long ago) and I stored some stuff in different apps for different purposes, but in the last few years... I consolidated everything in DEVONThink... and it has been great... Searching for me has definitely improved. I splurged and sync using iCloud to my iPhone using DEVONThink to Go... all licensed versions, no subscriptions (I think between upgrade from 2 to 3 - it was a 10 year period so no subscription at the higher price for doing more than Evernote did (at least when I used it)... will work out in the long run.

sgtaylor5

Contributor
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA

I think you can drag a bunch of notes to a different folder to change the tags. Import a small subsection of notes into Bear and try it.
That's weird: I just made a new daily note in Bear 2 and bolded a word (Cmd + B) and I didn't see any animation.
EDIT: a "daily note" isn't a feature; I have a tag called "journal" and that's where I make my daily notes. Holding down the option key and selecting Format | Insert Current Date gives me the ISO Short Date as a title on desktop. On mobile, it's already there. The BIU mobile keyboard item that expands into another full keyboard while used, is a real game changer if you, like I, don't like toolbars on mobile.

But, there is extensive keyboard shortcut support if you don't want the floating bar on desktop. I use the menus a lot for formatting.
Joplin, like Bear, is Markdown-centric. That's a planned feature, not an oversight.
I've got 1210+ notes and I've got no problem with performance on a 2017 MBA. Export from Joplin as markdown into a new folder, if there's a choice in the export dialog include attachments in the folder (they should show up as separate folders of attachments, each folder is the same name as the note they belong to); should work fine.

Reactions: ixxx69

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Im a big fan of Agenda. It's got an emphasis on calendar and timeline, which makes it ideal for meeting notes. But there are tags and folders and some nice formatting tools so it could be adapted to a lot of uses.

Bear 2 looks cool and all, but not into another perpetual software rental, myself. Agenda's pricing model give you one year of whatever pro features come out, which you then *keep* forever, even if you stop paying after that year. IMO, massively better than something that becomes non-functional the minute you stop paying for it. Also, even the free version of Agenda includes iCloud sync, which Bear holds back as a pay-for-it-forever feature.

And for what it's worth, Apple Notes is robust enough at this point to serve as a pretty great (and free) tool for organizing information.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Am I the only one who thinks that Bear 2's new pricing is a little high?

I've got 1210+ notes and I've got no problem with performance on a 2017 MBA.
Wow you've got 1210 notes in Bear?

I have almost 400 notes in Apple Notes, ~400 notes in Notability (but I'm not adding to this anymore), and thousands in OneNote (but work only).

sgtaylor5

Contributor
Aug 6, 2017
Cheney, WA, USA
Am I the only one who thinks that Bear 2's new pricing is a little high?

Wow you've got 1210 notes in Bear?

I have almost 400 notes in Apple Notes, ~400 notes in Notability (but I'm not adding to this anymore), and thousands in OneNote (but work only).
I’m with the Bear 1 pricing; I wouldn’t have minded paying more because I use Bear all the time. Most of my notes are for work; I keep a daily journal of client jobs, and have since August 2020 (markdown is text and is fast). Sometimes a client job might look like an engineering journal entry (very long and detailed); those get broken out into a note of their own and a backlink is added to where it was in the daily note.

EDIT: I’ve seen Evernote users on forums discuss having 20,000 and 30,000 notes in their database.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: BigMcGuire

it wasnt me

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2019
the internet, mostly
After using Evernote for years, when Evernote decided I had "too many computers" I had switched to OneNote. OneNote is good enough, but I was increasingly bothered by the fact that the notes are stored in a quasi-proprietary format. For a while I tried Markdown files, but Markdown really sucks for complex structures.

My note collection is in a state of flux again. In the medium term, I want to reduce myself to two tools again. Currently it looks like this:
  • Longer blog drafts, especially my annual "music albums of the year" posts (because they benefit a lot from structure), I write and organise with GNU Emacs, which thanks to org-mode works like a more comfortable and better organised Markdown. I also use org-mode (on the iPhone with beorg) to manage my TODO lists and scheduled tasks.
  • I write shorter blog drafts in "what's there" directly in HTML (I still use WordPress, I'm still too lazy for the switch to Hugo I've been planning for years...).
  • For notes on the go (as a scratchpad, so to speak), I usually use Apple Notes.
I'm currently looking into merging notes and shorter blog posts into Ulysses. (Ulysses doesn't seem to have the option to create a scratchpad directly as an iPhone widget yet, but Apple Notes already does).

Alvinc

macrumors member
Apr 30, 2022
After using Evernote for years, when Evernote decided I had "too many computers" I had switched to OneNote. OneNote is good enough, but I was increasingly bothered by the fact that the notes are stored in a quasi-proprietary format. For a while I tried Markdown files, but Markdown really sucks for complex structures.

My note collection is in a state of flux again. In the medium term, I want to reduce myself to two tools again. Currently it looks like this:
  • Longer blog drafts, especially my annual "music albums of the year" posts (because they benefit a lot from structure), I write and organise with GNU Emacs, which thanks to org-mode works like a more comfortable and better organised Markdown. I also use org-mode (on the iPhone with beorg) to manage my TODO lists and scheduled tasks.
  • I write shorter blog drafts in "what's there" directly in HTML (I still use WordPress, I'm still too lazy for the switch to Hugo I've been planning for years...).
  • For notes on the go (as a scratchpad, so to speak), I usually use Apple Notes.
I'm currently looking into merging notes and shorter blog posts into Ulysses. (Ulysses doesn't seem to have the option to create a scratchpad directly as an iPhone widget yet, but Apple Notes already does).
How about Bear instead of Ulysses?

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
There are still apps that is quite similar to Evernote: Upnote. But I just don't want to waste time on trying anymore.

UpNote looks pretty good. They have a lifetime option, works on all platforms, and pretty clean GUI. Have not tried it though. Caveat it seems like it has a small user base and I am wary of such apps as the developer might shutdown any time.

Better stay with the crowd

ixxx69

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2009
United States
UpNote looks pretty good. They have a lifetime option, works on all platforms, and pretty clean GUI. Have not tried it though. Caveat it seems like it has a small user base and I am wary of such apps as the developer might shutdown any time.

Better stay with the crowd
I used UpNote for a few months - garbage IMO (posted about it in this thread last year). Super buggy, not mac-like at all, couldn't even drag & drop notes from one folder into another, and final straw was lost data.

Reactions: Michaelgtrusa
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.