Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloo Ice

macrumors regular
May 4, 2005
Kansas
ryannel2003 said:
I think everybody like the iMac G4's! If they don't, I'll have to kill them! ;)

I just like the crazy dome base! Its just so...domy. And the cd drive is like stickin its tongue out [referring back to commercial]. Ha ha, good commercial. I remember in 6th grade our computer teacher actually recorded it and showed it to us...he was so much of a [WINDOWS] nerd. And a perv. He would look down girls shirts, and in their monitor's reflection at their titties. Good thing he's gone now. Lol, his name was Richard Head, and he sure was one.

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
Bloo Ice said:
I just like the crazy dome base! Its just so...domy. And the cd drive is like stickin its tongue out [referring back to commercial]. Ha ha, good commercial. I remember in 6th grade our computer teacher actually recorded it and showed it to us...he was so much of a [WINDOWS] nerd. And a perv. He would look down girls shirts, and in their monitor's reflection at their titties. Good thing he's gone now. Lol, his name was Richard Head, and he sure was one.

It's just every thing about that design. The new iMac G5 just doesn't touch it looks wise. I wish there was a way you could put a G5 in one of these babies, becuase I would definetly buy one. So, where does this Richard guy live? :D

C

CompUser

Anyone want to tell me how I can get a job (I'm 14). Seriously, it seems like it is impossible to get a job, at least where I live.

I get a computer usually every 2 years. I got our families old gateway when I was going into 4th grade, I got my dell (in sig) when I was in 6th Grade, and I got my PowerBook at the end of 8th grade, but I'm hoping it will last me until I graduate HS. (or hopefully 3 years)

Bloo Ice

macrumors regular
May 4, 2005
Kansas
ryannel2003 said:
It's just every thing about that design. The new iMac G5 just doesn't touch it looks wise. I wish there was a way you could put a G5 in one of these babies, becuase I would definetly buy one. So, where does this Richard guy live? :D

Yup, yup yup yup.

If I knew where Dick Head lived, I'd go criticize him for 'lifting his finger off of the L key when he goes to hit backspace'. He actually made me re-do a lesson for that. And he never typed right. Typing classes are so easy [for me at least]

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Bass said:
I'm 18, everything is paid for by me. I have a very well paid job for my age :)

desk11pi.png

desk27bt.png

Nice.........you must have a good job :p :D :D

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
Bloo Ice said:
Yup, yup yup yup.

If I knew where Dick Head lived, I'd go criticize him for 'lifting his finger off of the L key when he goes to hit backspace'. He actually made me re-do a lesson for that. And he never typed right. Typing classes are so easy [for me at least]
i cant type correctly
i cheat badly i look at my fingers to much but i am not ot bad at it lol

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
CompUser said:
Anyone want to tell me how I can get a job (I'm 14). Seriously, it seems like it is impossible to get a job, at least where I live.

I get a computer usually every 2 years. I got our families old gateway when I was going into 4th grade, I got my dell (in sig) when I was in 6th Grade, and I got my PowerBook at the end of 8th grade, but I'm hoping it will last me until I graduate HS.

At the age of 14, getting a job is pretty tough. The problem is, due to all the child labor laws and crap, most places won't hire until you're about 15-16.

My advice? Start your own business. That's what I did--and it certainly worked out well for me! :)

If that doesn't work--I hate to say this--but you might just have to wait. I have quite a few friends working the standard fast food jobs, and I know they weren't able to get hired until just this year. Once you're 16--it's apparently a lot easier to get a job.

Then again--I've been running my own business since I was about your age, so I can't give a lot of tips or tricks when it comes to being employeed by someone else.

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
Bloo Ice said:
Yup, yup yup yup.

I've been typing since I was in 6th grade, so it's like riding a bike now. Heck my mom still doesn't know how to type right. I have a question, is the nVidia graphics card you have good? Cause a friend of mine wanted to upgrade his nVidia FX 5200 128MB graphics card to something similar to yours so he can play Doom 3 at a higher frame rate.

C

CompUser

I miss the old G4 iMacs. They should have stuck with a similar design. As thin as the new iMacs are, they don't do much for me. I hate how they have that really big beazel under the LCD and how shiney they made it. I don't like how the ports go down the back, then you have a bunch of wires going out of the back of it (unless you have AP,BT, and airport w/a printer connected to it). It just looks so unorganized.

Speaking of people with wierd names my soon to be ex-neighbor's (I'm moving) name is Dick Bagg. He actually prefers Dick to Richard or Rich. When I first met him, he came to our house with his wife with some baked goods because we had just moved in and he's like "Hello, I'm Dick and this is my wife Mary. Welcome to the neighborhood, we are the Baggs." and I almost started to laugh out loud hysterically.

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2003
This thread is interesting.

It has always bothered me that whenever a young person gets a nice computer, car or whatever and it was paid for by the parents they are immediately labeled as spoiled. That only shows jealousy, ignorance or both.
What if the 'spoiled kid' does appreciate what he has and knows its value?
Wouldn't you like to give your kids whatever they wanted, within reasonable limits? I know I would.

I understand people who take pride in buying items with their own money, but labeling those who don't have to as 'spoiled' is just plain rude. I have met many people who think that way and they usually try to make up things like "people who don't work their way up from scratch always fail in life", which is obviously flat out wrong. I guess it makes them feel better, but they continue to be bitter because of it. My advice: stop making your life miserable over someone elses computer, car or whatever. It doesn't matter how you try to cover it up, its jealousy in some form.

Bloo Ice

macrumors regular
May 4, 2005
Kansas
ryannel2003 said:
I've been typing since I was in 6th grade, so it's like riding a bike now. Heck my mom still doesn't know how to type right. I have a question, is the nVidia graphics card you have good? Cause a friend of mine wanted to upgrade his nVidia FX 5200 128MB graphics card to something similar to yours so he can play Doom 3 at a higher frame rate.

I [and AIM] taught myself back in 4th and 5th grade. I was doing 60wpm back in 6th, and can get up to 120wpm now. My mom goes at about 135wpm, so maybe it runs in the family. My sister is about 90, and my dad is about 2. Hunt, hunt some more, and hunt a little longer, peck is his typing method. That is, if he can figure out how to turn it on.

Can't really give you a GREAT opinion. My last one was the one he has now, a FX 5200 128MB, but it wouldn't work with this new mobo so I got this one on sale. It is pretty good I guess. I can run HL2 at 1600x1200 w/o any problems with full graphics, but maybe that's because of the processor. Dunno, but I know it's damn good with HL2.

CompUser said:
Speaking of people with wierd names my soon to be ex-neighbor's (I'm moving) name is Dick Bagg. He actually prefers Dick to Richard or Rich. When I first met him, he came to our house with his wife with some baked goods because we had just moved in and he's like "Hello, I'm Dick and this is my wife Mary. Welcome to the neighborhood, we are the Baggs." and I almost started to laugh out loud hysterically.

L O FREAKIN L. Warn me next time before you say somethin that funny. Now I gotta Windex the coke off of my nice [was] shiny glass desk.

rkristich

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2005
Punta Gorda, Florida
Chip NoVaMac said:
Having grown up and still living in the Greater DC area, I have a different experience and view on life and living. In my area we have two "over achieving" (meaning IMO that material goods are more important than quality time spent) parents, that due to job demands, shower their children with money and goods instead of attention.

While most of the teenagers I know work for their money and don't rely exclusively on handouts, there are exceptions, so I know what you mean about parents who give their children material things instead of attention. In my area, most of these kids are doctor's children. These kids act like brats and always expect to get anything they want. They will brag about their new iPod or any other electronic device if they find out you have an older one. Of course that's not to say all doctors around here spoil their kids, but it's pretty common. I plan to become a doctor one day, and when I eventually have a family, I'm going to try as hard as possible to raise my kids normally and keep them from becoming spoiled.

As for what you say about cars, I know what you mean about that too. I do have a car, but it's a twice hand me down car (was my grandfather's, then my brother's and then mine). I'm very happy that I'm able to drive to school, and so are my parents who had to drive and pick me up from school my freshman and sophmore years. Why didn't I ride the bus? Well, after riding the bus for a few weeks in the beginning of my freshman year, there were various incidents where pot (in a tic tac box) and alcohol (in a water bottle) were offered to me. One girl on my bus even refused to get off the bus because she said someone was waiting to kill her. Luckily these kids were not from my neighborhood. Calls to the transportation department solved nothing, so my mom decided no more bus for me. I also participate in lots of afterschool extracurriculars, so my parents usually had to pick me up in the afternoon anyways. Oh and by the way, my bus was the one that gained nation attention when a fight between the bus driver and a kid was caught on tape. Link

Many of the cars in my school parking lot are new or almost new, and I really don't see the point of teenagers having nice new cars. First of all, you're likely to crash it, and second, even if you did save up your money for it, why not open up a savings account instead and let it sit for a few years. Get yourself a new car after college when you'll really need it.

When it was time for me to drive, my parents told me that I could either have my brother's old car (he worked at Dominos and saved up for a Tacoma) and participate in these group trips a language arts teacher at my high school organizes, or I could get a mid to late 90s Toyota or Honda and not go on any trips. I thought about it, and realized a car does nothing but get me from point A to point B, and decided I would much rather go on cool trips. I haven't regretted my decision at all. Sure, my 1991 Cressida is one of the older cars in the school parking lot, but I've been to some amazing places in the past three years (New Zealand, Australia, Germany, Denmark, The Netherlands and Russia), and had some experiences that I'll never forget, like being a nose's length away from a DaVinci at the Hermatige in St. Petersburg.

Wow, just realized I digressed a bit there.

Anyways, I just also wanted to say that I think most teens don't realize the virture of saving. Obviously the ones here who have paid for their computers themselves do, as Macs definitely aren't cheap. I find it quite alarming the number of people in the U.S. today who see nothing wrong with using credit, aka money they don't have. I really hope to be able to manage my money like my parents when I get older. Whenever they use the credit card it's only if they're ordering something online where you can't use a debit card, and my mom always pays the credit bill right away. They also choose to save their money instead of spending it on things they don't need. That's not to say they don't enjoy themselves occasionally, my mom likes to get jewelry and art glass (at least both things only appreciate in value) and my dad recently bought an old Willy Jeep to restore. However, their main priority is saving money for me for my college education and of course their impending retirement.

Anyways, I just realized how long my post is, sorry about that, I can ramble on and not realize just how much I've written.

So lets get back to the original topic and see more setups! :D

Bloo Ice said:
my dad is about 2. Hunt, hunt some more, and hunt a little longer, peck is his typing method. That is, if he can figure out how to turn it on.

That sounds exactly like my dad (and to a certain extent, my mom too). The funny thing is, my dad was in the army about 30 years ago and he claims he was really good at typing then. His main duty was typing up documents, but it's so hard to imagine typing at anything faster than 10 wpm.

zflauaus

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2004
hotwire132002 said:
At the age of 14, getting a job is pretty tough. The problem is, due to all the child labor laws and crap, most places won't hire until you're about 15-16.

My advice? Start your own business. That's what I did--and it certainly worked out well for me! :)

If that doesn't work--I hate to say this--but you might just have to wait. I have quite a few friends working the standard fast food jobs, and I know they weren't able to get hired until just this year. Once you're 16--it's apparently a lot easier to get a job.

Then again--I've been running my own business since I was about your age, so I can't give a lot of tips or tricks when it comes to being employeed by someone else.

I was kind of thinking of starting a small computer "repair" shop at my house. Could you give me some tips?

doucy2 said:
i think kids like me that have to pay for all of their "toys" are more responsible and learn how much hard work it really is to get moeny together
spoiled kids may have all the neat stuff but they havent done anything thing to earn it
I worked for my parents at my house and gave me money. But they will have to use their credit card, the money is in an account. So I worked hard for it but I won't actually pay for it. Do you get it? I think I understand what I just said.

pdpfilms

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2004
Vermontana
Huezo said:
This thread is interesting.

It has always bothered me that whenever a young person gets a nice computer, car or whatever and it was paid for by the parents they are immediately labeled as spoiled. That only shows jealousy, ignorance or both.
What if the 'spoiled kid' does appreciate what he has and knows its value?
Wouldn't you like to give your kids whatever they wanted, within reasonable limits? I know I would.

I understand people who take pride in buying items with their own money, but labeling those who don't have to as 'spoiled' is just plain rude. I have met many people who think that way and they usually try to make up things like "people who don't work their way up from scratch always fail in life", which is obviously flat out wrong. I guess it makes them feel better, but they continue to be bitter because of it. My advice: stop making your life miserable over someone elses computer, car or whatever. It doesn't matter how you try to cover it up, its jealousy in some form.

You have brought up a very good point. It is very rare that people consider taht point when seeing the 18 year old in a new land rover, or the 15 year old who's parents bought him a Powermac for getting A's.

They may appreciate it. I know every gift I recieve is a gift that someone else worked hard to earn, and that I didn't. I know it means alot to give it to me, and therefore it means alot to recieve it. I think it's just something to consider.

Verto said:
So, to start off fresh, I will congratulate you on taking a talent you have and using it to your advantage, instead of squandering it, like I did for so long, before I finally got my act in gear and published what I'd allowed to sit on my computer for months and years. Carpe diem!

That is very honorable of you, I understand the frustration you may be feeling. It takes a good person to be able to drop an argument like you did, and I have all the more respect for you for doing it. Appology accepted, and I congratulate you on getting published. If you don't mind me asking, what were you published in?

C

CompUser

hotwire132002 said:

What did your business do?

Bloo Ice

macrumors regular
May 4, 2005
Kansas
rkristich said:
That sounds exactly like my dad (and to a certain extent, my mom too). The funny thing is, my dad was in the army about 30 years ago and he claims he was really good at typing then. His main duty was typing up documents, but it's so hard to imagine typing at anything faster than 10 wpm.

My dad claims that back in the early 80s [before Apple came around and made a PC, and the internet was invented] he had some kind of computer he'd take on him with his oil deals and he'd type up the contract and print it out right there, and he'd hook it up to a phone line and it'd call their main computer and feed it the information and such. True? I don't know. But cool at least.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
I'm 21, so really shouldn't be posting in here, (sorry) but I am curious, before I was 18 I had hardly any money, earning about £300 a month, had to pay for all my clothes, toiletries etc. All I could afford was a cheap windoze computers. Some of your setups would cost thousands of dollars!

JRM PowerPod

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2005
Outback Australia
I'm 18 and My Setup is as follows:

Computers:

Notebooks-
12" 1.5GHZ Powerbook (Stock)
15" Titanium 1GHZ (Stock)
13" Acer Travelmate 850mhz (piece of crap from day one)
15" 8600 Inspiron 2GHZ 512mb 100GB DVD/CDRW

Desktops-
HP 724a 2.4GHZ 768mb 80GB DVDRW
Dell Precision P4 1.7GHZ 512mb 80GB DVD/CDRW

Screens:
Two benq LCD 17"ers
20' Apple Alu
Couple of old dodgey 17"CRT's

Extras:
Epson 2100
HP LaserJet 2550L
HP LaserJet 1100
Oki DP5000
HP ScanJets 5200 and 4470
Lacie External D2 DVDRW, 120GB and 250GB Extreme
Sony DSCF828 (Awesome camera)
Logitech MX310 and a Microsoft Wireless Notebook one
Bose Multimedia Speakers
iPod Photo 40gb
iPod mini 4gb silver (and i bought my mum a pink one)
iPod Shuffle 512mb
Apple Bluetooth Keyboard
Canopus AVDC -100

YEAH I DO HAVE A BIT. BUT REALLY WANT A POWERMAC FOR A COMPLETE COLLECTION

swy32x

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2005
Wow.

I love how this is clearly placed in the Picture Gallery but people are just posting specs of their computers ... nobody wants that!

So, unless you're posting a pic or commenting about a picture I don't see a need for people to be posting 500 word essays on their computer setups ...

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
cwright said:
I wouldn't be so quick to say that. I upgraded to a G5 PM last year from an 867mhz G4 that died. I run a video production company similar to hotwire's and the work that I do definitely needs a fast computer. You sound like one of those people who discredits anything a teenager does "because he's in school".

here's my pics btw
pic 1
pic 2
pic 3

Are those both Cannon GL cameras?

I'm much jealous of all you people with 3chip cameras.

It's a dream of mine to have one.

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
Sharewaredemon said:
Are those both Cannon GL cameras?.
Yep, they're both GL2s... excellent cameras. Only one of them is mine though. I just borrow the other cameras (there's another GL2 on the shelf behind me, out of the picture :)) from the high school. It was a good idea to get involved in the EMeT and Broadcast programs at school, because now I get to borrow their gear even after I graduate :D

But anyway I probably won't own 2 cameras for a year or two when I decide to upgrade to HD. Right now the GL2 is the best choice for me because it's so easy to get access to matching cameras for multi-cam shoots.

Sharewaredemon

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2004
Cape Breton Island
cwright said:
Yep, they're both GL2s... excellent cameras. Only one of them is mine though. I just borrow the other cameras (there's another GL2 on the shelf behind me, out of the picture :)) from the high school. It was a good idea to get involved in the EMeT and Broadcast programs at school, because now I get to borrow their gear even after I graduate :D

But anyway I probably won't own 2 cameras for a year or two when I decide to upgrade to HD. Right now the GL2 is the best choice for me because it's so easy to get access to matching cameras for multi-cam shoots.

I envy you, I make skate videos with my friends and I go to school full time so I save all my money for that which means I can't afford to buy a 2-3000 dollar camera I really want but don't need.

Expecially seeing as I'm more the editor and my friend is the filmer (though I do a considerable amount of filming too).

Oh well,

one day, one day.

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
hotwire132002 said:
I started out with computer repair, but quickly shifted my focus to video production.
what specificly did you so for computer repair, i am very interested in doing that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.