Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
iCloud 1TB a month holds huge amounts of music, documents, files, folders, scans, pdfs, etc... even gigs of photos.

EXCEPT...

My Current Camera Roll

It's a bit frustrating knowing everything is properly backed up, including photos from previous iPhones except my most recent photos on the iPhone 6S I'm walking around with.

Am I missing something obvious? I always thought Photo Stream always just stored the most recent 1000 photos for you to view and then rid them after 30 days or something.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Uh, you need time and wifi to allow iCloud upload your photos.
And I don't think Apple selectively sync only recent 1000 photos.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Your Camera Roll photos are backed up in the iCloud backup. The PhotoStream is only your last 1000 photos, and that is synced to your other devices that have PhotoStream turned on. But your current photos will be backed up to iCloud automatically. If you need a new phone or need to wipe your current phone, just restore the iCloud backup and your photos will return.

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
i thought you were going to say all of them got wiped out. Came here for nothing.
jks

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
The camera roll should be added to iCloud Photo Library. They are not? When have you turned on iCloud Photo Library? Otherwise, they will be backed up with iCloud Backup. Photo Stream is not for storage, it will only upload new pictures so that other devices can receive and store them. These devices can only receive these pictures within 30 days, after which they are deleted from the servers. How the devices keep them, depends on the device. iOS devices keep a maximum of 1000 pictures in Photo Stream and push old ones out as new ones come in, but they are in fact stored on the device otherwise and are not dependent upon the 30-day window.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.