Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MLHahn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 23, 2009
Hello fellow users, I would really appreciate your thoughts on my situation.

My case is very particular for three reasons:
(1) I had a custom-build white MacBook with specs better than the black MacBook,
(2) my replacement case was unaddressed for almost 3 months,
(3) the new Macbook Pro line was launched while my case was open.

My replacement is pending now for more than 3 months. The case was first opened in March, but over the course of a long call, I asked the CR agent to call me back in 15 minutes. I was never called back and the case went unaddressed for nearly 3 months.

On May 31, I called down the Customer Relations line all over again, to reinitiate a clearly abandoned process. At this point, the CR agent told me there were no notes about the replacement. There were also no notes about the tech tests I conducted with the Tech Engineer to validate the replacement. Suspicious.

So, in another 2-hour call, I had to explain the issues and repeat the tests, just as I had done originally in March. After this May 31 call, I was transferred to the Product Replacement department to finish up the process. In this department, I had been caught up for an additional 3 weeks.

At first, the white Macbook was offered. Considering that I voiced distrust in the white Macbook design, and that my computer was a souped-up custom-build, I was offered the Macbook Unibody 2.0 on June 4. I told the agent I was unsure and told her I would call her on Monday.

From Monday June 8 until yesterday, I was unable to reach the CR agent. In the agent's words, we played 'phone tag.' However, given that the agent did not return all the calls I left her, including 2 calls a day at times, this is more of a one-sided CHASE than 'tag.'

Meanwhile the phone calls, I had emailed Steve Jobs and Tim Cook last week. I hoped that emailing would help finalize this replacement, without further wait.

When I reached the CR agent yesterday morning, she also told me that Dina in Executive Relations would be taking over the case. Indeed yesterday afternoon, a few business days after my first email to Steve, Dina from Executive Relations called me. However, the conversation went quite poorly. Dina was professional and patient, though she seemed unmoved about my concerns, especially the initial March 12-May 31 delay, or the delay since May 31.

To me, the main issue harks upon this:
- The replacement case was initiated March 12
- Strangely, no notes about the replacement were in my case files (though I have notes on the tests conducted & phone bills to prove the long call)
- AppleCare never called me back, as promised (though I did get an email 2.5 months later asking to rate the call)

In addition:
- Dina stated that the record of a replacement offer was on May 31 (when I called in again), suggesting that this has not been an open replacement case since March 12
- I am being offered the discontinued aluminum unibody model, despite the lack of firewire
- I am being offered the discontinued aluminum unibody model, despite the fact that this model is discontinued and replaced with the New Macbook Pro line

After a long time of considerable frustration, I am a bit unsure what to make of the case. Is it reasonable to seek the new 13 inch Macbook Pro unibody, instead of the Macbook Unibody 2.0 that this new model replaced?

Two business days after I was offered the Macbook Unibody as replacement, this unit was discontinued as the new Macbook Pro line announced at the WWDC. During this time, an additional 1.5 weeks went by without speaking to the CR agent. So, I was unable to finalize the replacement.

In total, this makes a long time waiting (since March 12). I did not want to wait all these months, or additional weeks, but in this time, the replacement model offered to me was discontinued. In its stead, this newly-released model would resolve my concerns; I am not confident in the white MB design, and do not want to lose Firewire in the Macbook Aluminum 2.0.

Dina insists that the only replacement choice is the discontinued Macbook Unibody (or the White Macbook 2.13). This is despite the new models that were released June 8--- between the time I spoke to the CR agent on June 4, and the time I spoke with Dina yesterday.

The new line announcement that occurred during the time my case was open, so it is an unusual element. I certainly still think that the long amount of time and HASSLE for this case is unacceptable.

sdsvtdriver

macrumors 65816
Jul 31, 2008
Southern California
Consider yourself lucky they're even offering you something other than a whitebook. If you want FW, take the whitebook. If you want the uMB and can do without the FW, then take that one.

You aren't going to get a new uMBP and since YOU escalated to ER and have already 'himhawed' on deciding what to do, you're on thin ice as it is IMHO.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
^ he is right. You were already offered something "better" than what you had. You want more and therein lies your problem. Their handling of this has gone on too long but when someone attempted to resolve this, you waffled because you got greedy. Both you and Apple are in the wrong.

Oh and calling someone repeatedly without a call back is stalking not phone tag. ;)

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
1) What are the specs of your custom whitebook? Were these upgrades all fitted by Apple?

2) how long have you been without your whitebook?

On reading more closely, it seems you still have your whitebook, and that it might even still be in working order. The issue seems to be that you have a problem with the case, and Apple have offered you a replacement.

Can you clarify what is the problem, and do you still have your macbook, and is it working or not?

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
you waffled because you got greedy. Both you and Apple are in the wrong.

Or they just found themselves between a rock and a hard place as far as Apple's laptop line goes:

White Macbook - piss poor case design

Uni Macbook - no FW which based on the OP's emphasis on it is something they use and therefore need.

It's not the clearest choice is it? Then suddenly there's a Macbook with a decent casing and FW.

I'd be going mental over the 3 month wait more than anything, and the presumably enormous phone bill.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
^ I agree, and stated, that Apple handled this poorly, but the OP waffled and with every story there are three sides (his, theirs, the whole truth). Therefore, I believe that they offered him what would be an adequate replacement and he hesitated.

Now, correct me because I am old and tired which makes me virtually useless today but I do not recall a specific detail of what happened with the MB case. Many people have had white MBs and they have loved them. The yellowing and cracking has occurred and been replaced to many customer's delight. So I am not going to sit here and think the OP is not at all at fault here. Not to mention, he said he wasn't confident in the MB design and yet so many other people seem to be.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Well, I agree with the others - you're trying to get something when they are already offering a better machine than the one you have. I would just take it. If you really, really want a better machine, then sell the one they're going to give you and buy something else?

Sure, you'll have to pay a bit out of pocket for a better machine, but considering they are going to give you a new machine, it should be easy to sell?

Also, it definitely sounds like the person at Apple's end didn't make any notes, but unless I missed something, how come you waited 3 months to call? Not criticizing b/c I don't know all the ins and outs, but just a question.

Good luck and enjoy whichever new machine you get,
keebler

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
If you want to make sure they understand that the case started in March then send them a copy of your phone record that shows the call to Apple. If they can't find the call in their system then this will show that a documentation error occurred on their end. However, I feel you may have let too much time pass on this issue to get the outcome that you want.

Always remember, when it comes to customer service and business disputes that usually the person who has more documentation wins. So take notes on everything. The date and time you called, who you spoke with, what was agreed upon, what they are noting in their system. You can not simply rely on them to correctly document the information. The best thing to do is simply record the conversation and file it away in case there is a problem.

As far as the sentiment that you are just being "greedy." I don't know what your motives are, but remember that you were happy enough with the White Macbook to purchase it. It stinks that a newer and better model has come out, but Apple may not be willing to budge.

Be polite and fair in your judgment of the situation. It truly doesn't look good for you that this much time has gone by. Now if you could present evidence that you had tried to call every few days over the past three months and you were ignored your case would be stronger. Unfortunately, it sounds like you just left it up to them to get back to you, which sends the message that it's not really a priority. In customer service if you want something done, then blow them up. Call consistently, just to nicely remind them that your situation has not been resolved. The fact that you didn't do this helps Apple not you.

I hope it all works out in a way that you are satisfied and is fair to both parties. Best of luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.