Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Original poster
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
Hallo pros! 🙂

I love using my adapted vintage lenses on my Sony and Olympus bodies.

What I would like to do is add the EXIF info for the lens to the file (either the RAW or processed file).

I adjust RAW in DXO Photolab 6 and then export into Mac Photos.
Unfortunately there is no easy way to adjust anything except Date/Time.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Edit:
I have AnyExif, but it is pretty poor.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
I mostly use a command line tool called exiftool which a lot of the graphical user interface tools use underneath the hood. For a UI tool, I use one with the catchy name of "Exif Editor" :cool: here: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/exif-editor/id477514607?mt=12 and it's "meh". Most seem "meh". The best exif tool I've used is Photo Mechanic but it's both a bit pricey (I think they're going subscription) and the UI is out of the 1990s - almost literally. And, oh yeah, it's got a bit of a steep learning curve :D.

martin.novak

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2024
Hi, author of Exif Editor (https://exifeditor.com) here. Regarding the lens information:

For EXIF data, there are available some tag (see below). However, there is a gotcha - if the photo has lens information that is written in maker notes (exif data section specific to each manufacturer), most software will ignore changes you made in the tag.

So, in Exif Editor, you basically have the following options to set:
  • Lens Make - eg SONY
  • Lens Model - should include model name and model number
  • Lens Serial Number
Also, Lens in the XMP additional info is a good place for you to store the lens info. Citing XMP spec: A description of the lens used to take the photograph. For example, “70-200 mm f/2.8-4.0”.

Personally, I like XMP better, but I guess more software is using good old EXIF metadata.

Martin

Reactions: r.harris1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.