Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2019
I have a very amateur question so please refrain from judgement. I purchased a M2 Mac mini with the base storage of 256gb. In hindsight, I regret that decision. I'm using about 75% of that between two users/accounts.

Now, here comes the very elementary question...

I'd like to expand my storage space but do so in a very user friendly, behind the scenes way. For example, I don't want to have to decide which files I'd like to drag into the new storage HD on a one by one basis. Instead, I merely just want to raise my storage ceiling and any file that I create or space that I use with video or pictures or the like is just given a place to live on its own, automated, without any intervention.

Is that basically how it work work if I connect a SSD external hard drive or a PCIE based external hard drive? Again, no judgement, I've never come close to storage limits and never needed to ask such a question.

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
General discussion of the topic:

Specifically if you use the Photos app in macOS:

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
I merely just want to raise my storage ceiling and any file that I create or space that I use with video or pictures or the like is just given a place to live on its own,
As noted in the second video above, if you use the Photos app you can easily make a photo library on an external drive and then just use that library as the default for Photos.

There are ways to move a user's Home folder externally too.

Ultimately, you may just want to get yourself a larger capacity external SSD and set it up as your Start Up storage device. Not hard to do and many of us use external SSDs as Start Up devices.

Reactions: leifp

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2019
Thanks! I was having a difficult time using the right language to describe what I was trying to achieve.

Start up storage device" is exactly right. Basically, I want to buy a 1TB external hard drive and use that for any and all storage needs, not the internal 256gb. Are there any downsides to that approach vs using internal storage?

I'm trying to avoid having to sell this device and purchase a new Mac mini with 1tb of internal storage (and paying Apple's rates for storage).

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
I have an M2 Mac mini with 512GB hard drive, but also have a 2TB NVMe blade in a Satechi dock under it I use as external storage in addition to two 4TB drives in a dock bay next to my mini I use as media/backup drives and two network server backup drives also.

I do drag and drop alot, but when I go to save files when it gives you the option to save, just select the drive and folder you want to save it to.

apostolosdt

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2021
I have an M2 Mac mini with 512GB hard drive, but also have a 2TB NVMe blade in a Satechi dock under it I use as external storage in addition to two 4TB drives in a dock bay next to my mini I use as media/backup drives and two network server backup drives also.

I do drag and drop alot, but when I go to save files when it gives you the option to save, just select the drive and folder you want to save it to.
My apologes to the OP; this question is about the latest post by dictoresno.

With that setup you are describing, do you get any excess heat from the Satechi dock that affects the Mini above? From what I know, the 2TB NVMe exhibits some extra heat when under full run.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"I'd like to expand my storage space but do so in a very user friendly, behind the scenes way. For example, I don't want to have to decide which files I'd like to drag into the new storage HD on a one by one basis."

Nope.
It doesn't work like that.
(sorry)

You're going to have to learn to MANAGE your storage needs.
That means thinking about where you want things to go.

It also depends on how you store things right now.
Do you use the "built-in" folders that Apple provides in your home folder, like "movies", "music", "pictures", "documents", etc. ??

For example, if you use the Photos app, and the Photos Library folder (it's represented as just an icon, but it's a very full "folder"), you could copy the Photos Library to the external drive, and then tell Photos to use that instead of the one that's in your Pictures folder (you do this by holding down the option key while launching Photos).

If you save downloaded movies, just create a folder on the external drive and save them there. (I have an entire drive dedicated to movie storage).

As you work to organize things, you'll remember where things are supposed to be. One gets used to it. It becomes "second nature".

But you can't "be dumb", and "not have to decide".
Again, that doesn't work.

Finally, for a choice of an external drive, I'd suggest either a Samsung t7 "shield" or perhaps a Crucial "X-9", like this:
(just got one of these, works well, good price).

Hmmm...
And you also need to start thinking about BACKING UP both the internal and external drives.
I'd suggest SuperDuper...

Ben J.

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2019
Oslo
Beware that people who know about the hi-tech in SSDs, sometimes described as "little computers", warn against letting them fill up. I'm not one of those experts, but I'm told that SSDs work harder as you get closer to full, and you should keep plenty of free space. 75% is not terrible, but I would not be comfortable with 80 or 90.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Start up storage device" is exactly right. Basically, I want to buy a 1TB external hard drive and use that for any and all storage needs, not the internal 256gb. Are there any downsides to that approach vs using internal storage?
So to summarize… you want an external boot device that is ALL your storage, the internal 256GB will not be used.

Yes, that’s an option. Use a Thunderbolt NVMe SSD. it will be “measurably” slower than the internal but operationally still relatively fast, and it will occupy one of your Thunderbolt ports. Other than that, it’ll suit your needs.

My personal M1 mini has a Thunderbolt NVMe with 4TB SSD - I'm using it just for data, not booting from it (I have 512GB internal) and I paid around US$300 for it, as a point of comparison.

If you try to use an actual “hard drive” - or even a SSD but not using NVMe or Thunderbolt - you will not get even close to your current performance, that’s a totally different ballgame.

picpicmac

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2023
No downside as far as operability.

An external SSD will be a bit slower than the internal SSD, but people mostly don't notice the difference in real life.

1TB external SSD connected to one of your TB ports will work fine. There are many videos online about how to set one up as a Start Up drive, also known as a boot drive.

The other option: You can of course just use the external SSD for data storage and continue to boot off of the internal SSD, and point your apps (such as Photos, or Music) to folders on the external device, thus keeping your internal SSD as the Start Up device.

One more thing: you did not say if you use a Time Machine external storage device, or use iCloud or some other service to back up online. Regardless you should have some sort of backup. A second external storage device, and this one could be a spinning platter (hard disk), should be used for Time Machine. It can be connected to either a TB port or the regular USB port.

Reactions: colodane

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
NVME one just out and easy as pie to use with great reviews -

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
I am trying to sort out the best way to manage my 16tb of audio samples coming from my old MacPro but so far just got 2 x 2tb Crucial USB C drives to be getting on with (which are truly excellent) and the rest can live on an external SATA hub dock for now - even with outsourcing photos and music to external drives I am only left with 111gb on my boot drive from the 512gb.... first world problems eh ?

richardpage

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2014
I bought this hub/dock for my Mac Mini with free shipping on AliExpress for £79.44. I populated it with a NVMe and 2.5 incg Sata totalling 6Tb extra storage! Works brilliantly. Best of all I can also use it with my MacBook Pro which has 4Tb so I use the hub for backup. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005970043236.html?

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 10.36.35.png

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 10.36.54.png

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 10.37.02.png

Check out also: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002722588759.html?

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN

Of course, you’ll want to ensure the external drive(s) is/are connected (and powered on, if relevant) before accessing these libraries.

Admittedly, I have little knowledge and experience of if/how this setup affects backups.

Reactions: picpicmac

pcd213

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 24, 2019
No downside as far as operability.

An external SSD will be a bit slower than the internal SSD, but people mostly don't notice the difference in real life.

1TB external SSD connected to one of your TB ports will work fine. There are many videos online about how to set one up as a Start Up drive, also known as a boot drive.

The other option: You can of course just use the external SSD for data storage and continue to boot off of the internal SSD, and point your apps (such as Photos, or Music) to folders on the external device, thus keeping your internal SSD as the Start Up device.

One more thing: you did not say if you use a Time Machine external storage device, or use iCloud or some other service to back up online. Regardless you should have some sort of backup. A second external storage device, and this one could be a spinning platter (hard disk), should be used for Time Machine. It can be connected to either a TB port or the regular USB port.
Thank you! Question: what would I gain from booting from the internal SSD and use the external for data storage alone vs booting from the external drive (+ using it for all storage needs)?

For backup I only use iCloud at the moment.

pacmania1982

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2006
Birmingham, UK
I have a very amateur question so please refrain from judgement. I purchased a M2 Mac mini with the base storage of 256gb. In hindsight, I regret that decision. I'm using about 75% of that between two users/accounts.

Now, here comes the very elementary question...

I'd like to expand my storage space but do so in a very user friendly, behind the scenes way. For example, I don't want to have to decide which files I'd like to drag into the new storage HD on a one by one basis. Instead, I merely just want to raise my storage ceiling and any file that I create or space that I use with video or pictures or the like is just given a place to live on its own, automated, without any intervention.

Is that basically how it work work if I connect a SSD external hard drive or a PCIE based external hard drive? Again, no judgement, I've never come close to storage limits and never needed to ask such a question.
I have a two Samsung T7 portable SSDs plugged into my M2 Mac mini. One is for my media and the other is a Time Machine drive.

Once you have sorted out your solution, you could move your home folder to that drive.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC

This is my setup as well- Satechi dock + NVMe SSD. I have my media on the SSD. It is virtually seamless and I don't notice any lag (now, I'm not trying to edit video but ample transfer speed for my needs). A little over $200 all in ($80 for dock +$120 for SSD), which is the cost of a 256->512 upgrade if buying new (and a trade in would be an even bigger delta).

I don't notice any heat issues.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Thank you! Question: what would I gain from booting from the internal SSD and use the external for data storage alone vs booting from the external drive (+ using it for all storage needs)?

The internal is faster... not that you'd notice it a lot, but it will boot & load apps "Measurably" faster. Whether you'd notice it in day to day use - I doubt it, but possible. You'd also save some room on the external, not needing to house macOS & apps there.

sparkhill

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2010
I use THIS ssd and it works well, and it should approach your current 256gb speeds. I have used an external ssd as the only drive on older computers before and it works fine.

Reactions: Nguyen Duc Hieu

Nguyen Duc Hieu

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2020
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

You will gain headache when the internal SSD dies prematurely, which happens more often than many people think.

I would just unmount/hide, or wipe out the internal SSD completely and use only the external Thunderbolt SSD. Because of its big capacity, the wear level will be greatly reduced.

When I sell/give the Mac Mini away to a light user, I would just simply unplug my external TB SSD, do Internet Recovery and install a clean Mac OS to the internal SSD and hand it over to the new user.

All of my familiar working OS environment and personal files + settings stay on the external SSD. I just simply plug it in another Mac and (after giving it some to be friend with the new Mac) start using it right away.

deckard666

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2007
Falmouth
I back up my SSDs now to my old external SATA drives using a 4 way dock on an incremental weekly basis using Carbon Copy Cloner - in 10 years of having my original MacPro I only had one ever fail on me ! But this is a very new experience for me so still trying to work out the best ways to store stuff ....my 512gb internal drive has 150gb left on it and I intend to leave it that way....The 2tb Sandisk I have attached is writing and reading at around 900mbs which is more than fine for me and the Crucial X6 a little less.

Going from my "old" internal setup of 16tb to this setup of 6 has been a little challenging !

ewitte

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2024
Depending on which Mac you have the external TB4 drive may be faster than the internal one. The base models with smaller drives mostly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.