Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jason He

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2007
Champaign, Illinois
Hey, I'm new here (as you can tell by my post count). I also posted this message on another forum I'm on, but figured I would probably get a response quicker here.
I did a test on my Macbook Pro today to see how long it would take to install a clean copy of OS X with the provided installation discs and without any software aside from the essential required files. It took about 12 and a half minutes--wow! Installing with the defaults could take hours.

Anyways, there are multiple options in the custom install menu. For two of them, I'm not so sure what to choose.

Printer Drivers - I currently own an HP printer, and don't plan on getting a new one anytime soon. Is it OK to just select HP? And in the future, if I bought a printer from a different manufacturer, could I install just the driver for that brand without reinstalling OS X?

Foreign Language Files - What are these used for? The only reason I could see this being necessary is if I or someone else using my laptop was viewing a Web site written in a language other than English--my parents sometimes visit Chinese-language sites, for instance. In this case do I still need to install all the additional language files, or can I deselect all of them?

Also, what if I was viewing a Word document in French? Would I have to have the French language pack installed?

Thanks in advance.

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
Usually drivers come with the printer anyway, so you don't have to install all of them. Just get the one for your device.

Language files are for running the OS and apps in a different language. It won't affect viewing or input in other languages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.