Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ambrosia7177

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
Hi. Is there a way to export/download a chat thread from Messages?

Had someone make threatening posts to me, and want to capture enough evidence in case I need to the authorities involved.

Ideally, whatever I do would capture the formatting like you would see in Messages (i.e. message, date/timestamp, sender)

These messages are on my iPhone 11 Pro Max. I do not and will not use iCloud. Am posting here, because I think it is possible to view the chat thread on my MacBook Pro, and maybe the desktop application can do more?

I am mobile illiterate - and prefer staying that way - and "The Cloud" freaks me out, so am hoping there is an old-school way to do what I want.

Thanks!

P.S. I realize that I could just take screenshots on my iPhone, but this is a former friend, and so the chat thread is quite long. I don't mind doing manual screenshots, but my fear is that I will miss a lot of the conversation since it is a continuous scroll, and isn't like you are taking screenshots of individual pages on a website. That is why a complete export/download would be better.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I don't own a smartphone (Apple or otherwise).

But on the Mac, I can do this:
- open the Messages app
- click one time in the "message display area"
- type "command-a" to "select all"
- then copy to clipboard (command-c)
- then open TextEdit with a blank document
- then paste into the blank text document.

I now have a record of the conversation. However, dates/times are not copied.
But the text is there as it should be...

Ambrosia7177

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
I don't own a smartphone (Apple or otherwise).

But on the Mac, I can do this:
- open the Messages app
- click one time in the "message display area"
- type "command-a" to "select all"
- then copy to clipboard (command-c)
- then open TextEdit with a blank document
- then paste into the blank text document.

I now have a record of the conversation. However, dates/times are not copied.
But the text is there as it should be...

Hi. Thanks for the post.

I guess I need someone with an iPhone, because when I plug my phone into my laptop I don't see the chat conversation on my laptop.

Also, not having timestamps and something that looks real wouldn't do me any good in a court of law or with law enforcement.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Hi. Is there a way to export/download a chat thread from Messages?
You might need third-party software to do this. You can export Messages threads/conversations from your iPhone using iMazing. I've done it before.

Ambrosia7177

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
You might need third-party software to do this. You can export Messages threads/conversations from your iPhone using iMazing. I've done it before.

Is iMazing safe to use?

Will my chats be uploaded to their servers or the Cloud, or does the app simplying grab the chat of interest off my iPhone and download it to my MacBook Pro?

Also, did it retain all formatting and information like timestamps?

Ambrosia7177

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 22, 2023
Yes. Export as PDF retains all formatting, timestamps and attachments like photos.

But, you may want to get legal advice.

Did you use iMazing just download your iPhone Messages chat thread from your iPhone to your Mac, and then use something to PDF the chat, or does iMazing do all of that.

What were the exact steps you took, if I may ask?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.