Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AMDMACMAN

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2004
Well I had to buy it to see how it works. Well let me tell you. IT is a piece of crap. It does not work at all. Period.

1. I should have known based on the web site and lack of real info(not just fluf) that this was a bad thing.

2. There is little to no info on how to install or configure.

3. The product activation is fishy and after a little investigation, i figured it out. or so it seemed. I entered in the about 500 character key and installed. It does not load. Also i uninstalled it, and reinstalled it with random letters and numbers for the actication key. THis is fake god damn software.

I got robed.

This software does not do anything at all.

ChrisH3677

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2003
Victoria, Australia
Originally posted by beg_ne
Are we speaking strictly pre-Panther? If so then I agree, Windows barely manages to edge it out.

As of Panther Mac OS X leapfrogged Windows on both those points.

really?!

I'm so going to have to find the money for Panther!

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
AMDMACMAN:

if it truly does not do what it says it does, you should start sending complaints. if they don't respond, start threatening them with the better business bureau.

toughboy

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2003
Izmir, Turkey
I dont have Panther working on my mac, so I dont know what you guys talk about..

I wont buy it as a program, but it would be nice if it would come with the next windows release, so that I can use it.. looks handy to me in spite of what you say...

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
If a program like this were to actually utilize the video card's GPU in Windows much like QE does, wouldn't performance be comparible to Exposé with Panther? I wonder what kind of coding would allow this to happen.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Pulled from the FAQ (troubleshooting section):

Short System Freezing

On some computers WinExposé can cause a short freeze of the system when the user is scrolling through a long document. If this occurs on your machine right click the WinExpose icon in the system tray and select the "Don't Freeze" Option.

Wow! A "Don't Freeze" option! Maybe this option will be available in Windows Longhorn so that the OS is usable? :p

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Now that would be cool. Also, after all these years, you'd think they'd create a new Windows key on all new keyboards that combines the ctrl+alt+del combo. We could call it the "Don't Blue Screen" button.

Declan

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2003
Its strange, a year ago i would have gone crazy for this app, as if it wasn't for the likes of Y'zDock i wouldn't have sold my PC and bought a Mac, but now a Mac only user it annoys me to see this app appear, mainly because they are trying to charge for it, at least Y'sdock was free and believe me apps like that have converted many people to buy/switch to apple. I spent more time customizing my Pc to look like OS X than actually using it and in the end it was always a poor substitute.

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
Don't Freeze?!?! HAHAHA. that's awesome. maybe we'll get a "Don't Beachball" option soon. Personally I'd like to have a "Don't Die" option on my car and maybe a "Don't Talk" option on my girlfriend, sometimes. "Don't Rain" would be nice for going on vacation as well. :)

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Isn't there a kind of a "don't beach ball" option with the new Developer Tools under Panther? I haven't played with it much, but there is an utilities app in the Developer folder that is supposed to kill the beach ball.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
If a program like this were to actually utilize the video card's GPU in Windows much like QE does, wouldn't performance be comparible to Exposé with Panther?
Yes it would be, if Windows had somthing like QE it'd be fine...but it doesn't...so it isn't :)

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Do you need a technology like Quartz in order to write an app under Windows to utilize the graphics card, though? It'd be kind of like writing a game, in that aspect, since obviously games utilize the graphics processor. I admit I have no clue about software programming, but there must be some way at accessing the GPU under the Windows environment to draw from.

neut

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2001
here (for now)
...but there must be some way at accessing the GPU under the Windows environment to draw from.

of course there has to be...i mean, what you see in windows is all being drawn by the GPU. isn't it? unless it's all a magical facade then im stumped ;)

peace.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Do you need a technology like Quartz in order to write an app under Windows to utilize the graphics card, though?

The problem is that you have to tell the window manager what to do, so the window manager needs 3d accelerated hooks.

A standalone app like a game only has to worry about what's inside it's own window and can tell the GPU what to do with the contents.

Somethink like expose has to hand off the the window manager at some point to redraw windows it has nothing to do with really.

That's what Quartz Extreme is -- 3d acceleration for the window manager directly.

And that, in a nutshell, is why OSX can have a ton of eye candy that Windows cannot without a major redesign.

stcanard

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Vancouver
Originally posted by neut
of course there has to be...i mean, what you see in windows is all being drawn by the GPU. isn't it? unless it's all a magical facade then im stumped ;)

peace.

Ahh, but the window manager only used the 2D API, not the 3D API (in windows).

It's kind of like optimizing photoshop for altivec. Unless you tell it the functionality is there and how to use it, it sits wasted.

That is also the difference between Quartz and Quartz Extreme -- Quartz goes through the 2D API, QE goes through the 3D.

Lanbrown

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2003
Originally posted by mnkeybsness
AMDMACMAN:

if it truly does not do what it says it does, you should start sending complaints. if they don't respond, start threatening them with the better business bureau.

Shady companies are not part of the BBB so the threat of revoking their membership is a moot point.

What did people expect for $9.95. Things priced at $9.95 are either junk or overpriced. CD's can be $9.95 and they are a huge rip-off.

GovornorPhatt

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2003
Where do YOU live?
Consiter it a compliment to the Mac OS: They liked it so much, they had to carbon copy it! They could have at lease changed the name. In the past, Windows has stollen ideas from the mac. That's whats happening here.

Gaz

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2002
London, UK
Originally posted by stcanard
And that, in a nutshell, is why OSX can have a ton of eye candy that Windows cannot without a major redesign. [/B]

Called Longhorn...which apparently does the graphics very very well. Only time will tell...

It's all good as it should help drive Apple to continue to raise the bar and let us continue to demand better things from our computers.

No one's perfect

Edit: Spelling

AMDMACMAN

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2004
Originally posted by AMDMACMAN
Well I had to buy it to see how it works. Well let me tell you. IT is a piece of crap. It does not work at all. Period.

1. I should have known based on the web site and lack of real info(not just fluf) that this was a bad thing.

2. There is little to no info on how to install or configure.

3. The product activation is fishy and after a little investigation, i figured it out. or so it seemed. I entered in the about 500 character key and installed. It does not load. Also i uninstalled it, and reinstalled it with random letters and numbers for the actication key. THis is fake god damn software.

I got robed.

This software does not do anything at all.

Yeah, I got screwed. I sent them an email to their support and so far i got no response. I also have sent them an email to their sales address requesting a refund. Lets see if I get a response. I doubt it.

I also tried to install this on another computer with the same result.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Originally posted by Gaz
Called Longhorn...which apparently does the graphics very very well. Only time will tell...

It's all good as it should help drive Apple to continue to raise the bar and let us continue to demand better things from our computers.
Except, of course, that Longhorn won't come out for two years (at absolute best), perhaps as long as FOUR, at which point we'll be on MacOS X 10.7 British Tick, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

--Cless

billyboy

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2003
In my head
I reckon an Apple developer lost a bet and his forfeit was to write the second best app for Windows. could have got the demo right at least.

macrumors12345

Suspended
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by edesignuk
Good news for Apple, I posted this in a Windows forum, people were very exceited...until they tried it :eek: On very well spec'd PC's it sucks, the animation is awful, 4/5 fps max!
rollinglaugh.gif

Quartz Extreme > * :D

Of course. If it were that easy, MSFT would have done it. Or, to be more precise, if MSFT could get things like Expose without totally rewriting the Windows display layer, they wouldn't be totally rewriting the Windows display layer for Longhorn (Windows 2006, or 2007, or whatever it is by now).

The developer is clearly an idiot though - positioning him/herself to get sued by Apple for blatant infringement by copying every last name and detail.

That said, maybe Apple *shouldn't* sue. Then people can compare WinExpose with real Expose and (incorrectly) come away with the impression that Apple hardware is orders of magnitude faster than PC hardware, just as they might sometimes (incorrectly) come away with the impression that PC hardware is much faster than Apple hardware when comparing a very badly ported app on PC vs. Mac.

tyson12zoll

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2003
Originally posted by ChrisH3677
Windows doesn't need Expose. OSX did need it.

I think everyone seemed to get along fine without it in 10.2.
Regardless, its one of the best innovations to come from apple, IMO, and I'm sure bill gates would die to get it in longhorn.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.