Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bob5820

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
My understanding is that when the photograph is saved to memory a certain amount of data associated with that photograph is also saved. Exactly what information gets saved? I’m looking for data such as f-stop, shutter speed, iso, etc. Basically data that will help me to learn what works and what does not. How do I retrieve this data, do I need special software? Does it make any difference if I save as jpeg or RAW? Is there any way to embed the data directly on the picture, say on the bottom, so when I view or print the picture I can see the exposure information. I’ve seen this technique used in books and brochures where picture looks like the view you would see through the cameras viewfinder. If it makes any difference the camera I’ll be using is a Nikon D200.

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
software like aperture and lightroom will show those data... lightroom is free if matters to you (since you already pimped out w/ D200:p )

maxi

macrumors regular
May 23, 2006
Buenos Aires, Argentina
An excellent, free, program is Exif viewer. It will let you know about EVERYTHING, with nikon DSLRs, it will even tell you how many exposures the camera has fired in its life.

just look for it: exif viewer.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
My understanding is that when the photograph is saved to memory a certain amount of data associated with that photograph is also saved. Exactly what information gets saved?......

This information may be viewed in the Finder by doing Get Info on a file and expanding the More Info section. In other words if you right click on the JPG you can get to the f/stop shutter speed and so on. No special programs required. Finder does it.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
This information may be viewed in the Finder by doing Get Info on a file and expanding the More Info section. In other words if you right click on the JPG you can get to the f/stop shutter speed and so on. No special programs required. Finder does it.

You get more data with Nikon software too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.