Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 5, 2006
In the Depths of the SLC!
Has anyone found any external control devices that work with iPod touch? Like the dock connector thingy that makes it so you can change tracks and adjust volume, will these work with the touch or not? I'm gonna try my luck now at Target (if it don't work, I can return it).

The reason I bring this up is becuase I just sold my iPod Nano and I need to use my Touch at work to listen to music. I would like to just be able to keep it in my back pocket with my wallet and just control it via the external controls, which I could just clip to my apron.

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 5, 2006
I looked it up and it's the iPod Radio Remote. Do you think this will work? It's 50 bucks. I have an FM transmitter that I connected to my ipod touch and it worked just fine when I started playing music.

I don't care if the radio works or not, I just want the external controls.

Sweetbike40

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2007
NY/NJ
the remote

I couldn't wait to find the little remote (that links to the earbuds) that came with my 40GB iPod. Found it, but it didn't work. :(
It requires another little port on the iPod.
Someone needs to make something like that for the Touch. Just to make it safer when you drive too. I thought i'd still use my Nano for the car but i can't help but just take the Touch with me now. The Nano will still go with me to the gym though.

tobenning

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2007
Has anyone found any external control devices that work with iPod touch? Like the dock connector thingy that makes it so you can change tracks and adjust volume, will these work with the touch or not? I'm gonna try my luck now at Target (if it don't work, I can return it).

The reason I bring this up is becuase I just sold my iPod Nano and I need to use my Touch at work to listen to music. I would like to just be able to keep it in my back pocket with my wallet and just control it via the external controls, which I could just clip to my apron.

I use the iCombi bluetooth adapter off the Oakley website (~$50) and the Motorola S9 bluetooth stereo headset (~$75) with mine. It works great for adjusting volume and changing tracks.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Since many other non-portable control systems work (such as my Klipsch iFi), I think something like this might work (it doesn't have an FM tuner that might muck up compatibility)-

http://cgi.ebay.com/Remote-Control-...ryZ79877QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
(EBay item 250167839285, I'm not the seller.)

Let us know what you try from Target. After I got my Touch, I was going to try one of these cheap dock connector-based remotes. Some of the others have a Shuffle-type control cluster, which I'd prefer over the old Apple remote controls.

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 5, 2006
I'm gonna get one in a minute and see if it works or not. I don't want the FM Controls or that stuff, I just want to be able to pause, play, skip and go backwards. I work at a Restuarant and need volume control on the fly (I'm a cook), but I don't want to have to have my ipod hanging on my side where it could bump against something. If I had controls to just clip on the top front of my apron strap, then it would be much easier.

That radio one is for the dock connector, it has a cord that goes out (long cord too) and it goes to a device that looks like a shuffle (second gen), and then you connect headphones (which it comes with Apple ones, just shorter) to that end. So I'll see if I can pick it up tonite, gotta go, brb.

savar

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2003
District of Columbia
What about car audio?

Has anybody tested it with car audio units that have ipod adapters? I've got a pioneer head unit with an ipod interface...it would be sweet if it worked with the touch.

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 5, 2006
Well I got it, and I figured for sure it would work for just at least the audio control, but the second I connected it, I got a "This accesory not supported by iPod". So that is out as a form of audio control, it sucks too cuz this was on clearence.

I doubt Apple will get a firmware update for this device to work. I can easily see Apple making something like it but different and selling it and saying it works with the touch, cuz they just want more money from us, verses them putting out a firmware update for all of us who already have one. It seems the same story with the video out cables, why the heck won't the 5g ones work with the 6g ones? The ipods are almost exactly the same!

billabong

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2004
lm_ma070ga_rr2.jpg

Does it work with this, anyone tested yet? If so wouldn't that solve the whole pocket issue some people have with the touch... http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=B9EC42BD&nplm=MA070G/C

although, it would be nice if they had the same headset as the iPhone and just click the little mic thing...

Rapmastac1

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 5, 2006
If you read anything I wrote in this whole post you would know that that iPod/Apple Radio Remote is the one I'm talking about, with the shuffle sized clip and the shorter headphone cable with the headphones... No, it does not work, the iPod says so when you connect it...

hdguy20060207

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2007
Speaking of external controls, what about the FM tuner. Does the
FM tuner work with the iTouch yet?
I really wish they just stuck a radio in there

DenniZ

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Liverpool, UK
the blueye remote works fine, just doesnt show information on the screen when it needs to it just says accessory connected.

but controls work perfect amazingly.

its a good alternative to the appple remote control as the blueye remote has bluetooth in it basically meaning you can use it as a hands free kit on your phone :D

and its slightly smaller than the apple remote.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.