Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnrak

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2015
I have an old MacBook with a damaged LCD and I want to use an external display with it in my lab for 3d printing.
I have a genuine Apple miniDVI to DVI adapter that works with DVI displays.
Could i use a DVI to VGA adapter on my existing adapter to connect a VGA display?
I have read that it might not be possible and I should use a miniDVI to VGA. Is that true?

(I don't have the display yet to test. A friend of mine could send me one but if it's not possible I will tell him to cancel it.)

johnrak

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2015
What about this combo?

ADP-MINIDVI-DVI-2__98995__75356__68928.jpg xlarge_20221017090610_powertech_metatropeas_vga_female_se_dvi_i_male_cab_g035.jpg

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Should be OK, but I suggest that fewer inline connections is better.

If you will be using this connection setup long-term, fewer connections can mean that there are fewer possible trouble points.

Reactions: rampancy

Needleroozer

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2013

I don’t think that will physically work - the first adapter has a DVI-D connector, which only has a digital output. If you look closely at the DVI end of the VGA adapter, you’ll see that it’s a DVI-I connector that has both digital and analog signals.

From the picture below, DVI-A is the subset of DVI necessary to run a VGA signal, and your first adapter doesn’t have those four pins that aren’t part of the main grid.

AA23FAA3-A75B-48D9-A6AA-F6EE5420B954.png

So the question you need to answer is whether your Apple mini-DVI to DVI adapter breaks out the pins needed for DVI-A. If not, then buying a mini-DVI to VGA adapter is your best bet.

EDIT - Gah, transparent background ate the labels in that picture. From top to bottom, it’s:
DVI-I (Single Link)
DVI-I (Dual Link)
DVI-D (Single Link)
DVI-D (Dual Link)
DVI-A

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Are you running Windows on your a1181? I could never get the VGA dongles to drive an external monitor from an a1181 with Windows. Maybe it was XP I was trying; I don't remember, but perhaps Win7 will work.

(I need to dig out a parts a1181 and swap the screen assembly into my 2008 ML machine. Mine is now shutting down after a couple of minutes once booted.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.