Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DHKaplan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
I just noticed that my external drive used for Time Machine has disappeared from the Finder "Devices" section. Thankfully it continues to work fine and Time Machine can access it, but it makes me nervous!

Disk Utility sees the drive and partition just fine. I've run Disk Utility Repair disk both from the startup drive and the install DVD and there are no errors. Repair permissions is greyed out/disabled under both conditions. All the rest of my internal and external drives are visible in Devices.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks.

DHK

DHKaplan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
My problem is that there is nothing to drag. It doesn't appear in preferences, or anywhere else other than Disk Utility...

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
My problem is that there is nothing to drag. It doesn't appear in preferences, or anywhere else other than Disk Utility...

So not even here?
4565106447_e6b5e57645_o.png

Is the HDD mounted? If not, the volume's name is grayed out in Disk Utility. If so, click the MOUNT button.

DHKaplan

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
That did it! I used the "GO" menu option of finder to go to the computer, and the drive was visible. Perhaps it had accidentally gotten dragged off the left side... Anyway THANK YOU!

A really quick resolution.

DHK

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.