Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Euan

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2005
UK
Nope sorry, I have a Lacie D2 Triple Interface 160GB. Never had any problems.

allisonv7

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2004
I'm in the market for an external drive too but haven't had a chance to do much research, what are some basic/good specs for a backup drive?

Thanks,

allison.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
My recommendation is always to go with a HD enclosure instead. With the rapidly increasing capacities and decreasing costs, it makes more sense to buy an inexpensive internal drive and pop it in an enclosure, rather than paying more for the same capacity in an external model. Plus, then when higher capacities are released, or the existing drive fills up, you can easily swap another one in.

Just my recommendations. Otherwise, do a search in the Forums on this topic and you'll find a lot of excellent comments and advice. :cool:

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
~Shard~ said:
My recommendation is always to go with a HD enclosure instead. With the rapidly increasing capacities and decreasing costs, it makes more sense to buy an inexpensive internal drive and pop it in an enclosure, rather than paying more for the same capacity in an external model. Plus, then when higher capacities are released, or the existing drive fills up, you can easily swap another one in.

Just my recommendations. Otherwise, do a search in the Forums on this topic and you'll find a lot of excellent comments and advice. :cool:

Nice suggestion ~Shard~, thank you. ;) I'm one of those that is all thumbs. Mechanically challenged. No problem with taking something apart. It is getting it back to working order that causes problems.

So far looking at a Lacie.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
wdlove said:
Nice suggestion ~Shard~, thank you. ;) I'm one of those that is all thumbs. Mechanically challenged. No problem with taking something apart. It is getting it back to working order that causes problems.

So far looking at a Lacie.

Understandable, everyone has different needs of course. :) Luckily, HD enclosures are getting to the point now where it is essentially plug 'n play - they're really quite straight-forward. Nonetheless, for people who don't want to hassle or that extra little aspect to possibly cause them troubles or wasted time, external drives are definitely a viable option.

I have not heard any bad things about Lacie drives, however there have been some complaints. Again, if you search the Forums, you'll probably find some reviews of them. The only comment I'll make to take as a bit of a caution, if you will, is that Lacie themselves do not manufacture their own HDs. They use Seagate or Maxtor drives, so keep that in mind. Personally, I have witnessed, directly and indirectly, numerous problems with Maxtor drives, so that would make me a bit leery about buying a Lacie drive - but that's just me. :cool:

Euan

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2005
UK
Just remember that no product is perfect or without faults. There will always be someone out there who has had a problem with any product.

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
I'm using a LaCie 250GB FireWire Hard Drive Design by F. A. Porsche. Its firewire only. $160 from buy.com.

Very quiet drive, unlike other LaCie drives I've owned.

Buy.com just sent me a %10 coupon so check deal catcher if you plan on ordering anything from them.

Cheers

Passante

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
on the sofa
~Shard~ said:
Understandable, everyone has different needs of course. :) The only comment I'll make to take as a bit of a caution, if you will, is that Lacie themselves do not manufacture their own HDs. They use Seagate or Maxtor drives, so keep that in mind. Personally, I have witnessed, directly and indirectly, numerous problems with Maxtor drives, so that would make me a bit leery about buying a Lacie drive - but that's just me. :cool:

NOW you tell me! :eek: Better go check the drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.