Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

washer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
I am looking at an external hard drive for christmas to ease the strain on my aging imac and to back up my photos and music and I plan on taking this to college to use with my laptop as well. I have an old iMac G4 with firewire 400 and USB 1, I work on my photos on my family's newer iMac G5 with firewire 400 and USB 2, and plan on purchasing a laptop in the next six months but it depends on which college I go to, so it could be either a MBP or a dell. So I think the best idea is to get a triple interface drive with firewire 400/800 and USB 2. As for the size, I'm not sure, but my parents have said they are going to top out at $500, so I'd like to stay below that point.

My question is this, I have been looking around at B&H and MacMall and see a lot of drives between a wide price range. I have had a LaCie 120GB drive before, but don't know all of the differences of all of these drives. After the triple interface, I guess I'm looking for size, speed, and cost, roughly in that order.

Any suggestions?

AppleIntelRock

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
LaCie all the way. Also, maybe try and type "link" and then link the the url instead of pasting urls that are multiple feet in length. :D ;)

washer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
any reason to prefer lacie? and why are some smaller drives (like the lacie 800GB, $675) more expensive than some larger drives (like the lacie 1.28TB, $598)?

is 500GB going to be enough, or should i think about paying for more? are these reasonable prices, or can better deals be found?

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
Go with the Western Digital MyBook external HD. Its a great value and it works awesome! I would definately recomend it over a Lacie especially for the money. ;)

washer

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
isn't the lacie Big Disk 500GB cheaper than the WD My Book 500GB? I'm seeing $265 vs $300...

CaptainCaveMann

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2004
isn't the lacie Big Disk 500GB cheaper than the WD My Book 500GB? I'm seeing $265 vs $300...

I thought you wanted 250gigs or smaller? Plus Lacie and WD have several different models. You need to just find what you want and then compare the two.

wiseguy27

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2005
USA
Go with the Western Digital MyBook external HD. Its a great value and it works awesome! I would definately recomend it over a Lacie especially for the money. ;)

Yes, I second that! Go for the "Western Digital MyBook Premium" (which is the one with USB 2.0, FW400 and FW800) - it's great value for money and is pretty good. USB 2.0 is nothing compared to FW400! And FW800 is just awesome!!!

Check http://www.buy.com - they seem to have some very good deals for these drives right now!!! The 500GB drive is probably around $220 or so! Also check http://www.edealinfo.com for deals (go to category and select Hard Drives) that change ever week.

LaCie is overpriced for what it offers. Even if you decide to buy a LaCie, don't buy the ones under the Porsche series - they don't have fans for cooling and they do get very hot (heat is the worst enemy for hard drives).

Another brand I like is Seagate. Just ignore Maxtor (Seagate's low end drive brand).

DEXTERITY

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2004
if you search for external hard drives you will find a lot of topics. I would suggest the following:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/1394/USB/EliteAL/

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/1394/USB/EliteAL/800+USB2/

they usually use seagate hard drives. You can request one when you order. but 99% you get an internal seagate. they also have a better oxfor chip then the lacies. I own two lacies and two of the above. I haven't had problems with either. But I am sticking with the mercury elites from now on based on the seagate drives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.