Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maartendc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2013
Hi everyone,

I've got a problem with my 4 years old Seagate Goflex Desk 2TB USB 3.0 external hard drive. It is formatted as NTFS (but I have a plugin to allow Mac OS to write to it). I'm using Macbook Pro retina late 2013.

During its lifespan, the drive has been knocked over a couple of times while in use (as in, it was standing, and fell over on the desk). This might have damaged something?

For a while now, whenever I plug in the HDD, it takes Mac OS about 30 seconds - 1 minute to even show the drive. So it is very slow to recognize it.

Secondly, even after that, sometimes it takes 15 seconds or so to show the contents of a folder. While it is "looking" for the contents, all other finder windows become unresponsive as well, as though all folders are empty, even the ones on my internal SSD.

Third, it is extremely slow to "eject" from the system. Most of the time outright refusing to eject after 10+ minutes, even though no software or finder windows are using it. When it is plugged in and I try to shut down my computer, it will just refuse to shut down, unless I unplug the drive.

Finally, whenever copying files to or from it, sometimes the speed is normal, sometimes it is incredibly slow.

Is this drive dying? When I check it with Disk Utility, it shows no problems. When I analyse it in Bootcamp (Win 10) with Chrystaldiskmark, it shows the drive as in "good health".

Should I just replace it?

Thanks for any advice!

maartendc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2013
If it was knocked over a couple times it might be the cable too.

What makes you say that? You mean the internal connection to the cable might be loose or something? Externally, the cable is fine, and I don't see how the drive falling over would harm it.

Thanks!

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
Might be a good idea to erase it and start again, this time in HFS format.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Reformat it and make sure the enclosure does UASP over USB 3. Using UASP over USB 3 can greatly improve read/write times.

It that does not work, get a newer, faster (7200RPM) drive or even do a RAID 0 set. Don't forget the seperate backup drive.

matreya

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2009
After 4 years of use, I would be retiring any Seagate drive, and buying a new one from a more reliable manufacturer like Toshiba or HGST.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I think it's getting about time to think about replacing the drive.

And -- next time -- initialize the drive for HFS+ (Mac format).

If you're going to use a drive with a Mac, FORMAT it "for the Mac".
Things just go better that way, eh...?

maartendc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 16, 2013
Thanks for your answers!

I understand that using HFS+ makes it easier to use in Mac OS. I want to use the drive in Windows with Bootcamp as well however. So I want to keep using NTFS.

Could the problems also be related to my NTFS driver for mac? I am using an older version of Paragon NTFS for mac that came with the drive through Seagate. Could replacing this driver help?

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Thanks for your answers!

I understand that using HFS+ makes it easier to use in Mac OS. I want to use the drive in Windows with Bootcamp as well however. So I want to keep using NTFS.

Could the problems also be related to my NTFS driver for mac? I am using an older version of Paragon NTFS for mac that came with the drive through Seagate. Could replacing this driver help?

Yes you need to update it every time OS X has new version of OS X!

Reactions: LiveM

LiveM

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2015
Yep, and it won't be writeable until Seagate releases a new driver.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.